Candidate File: Obama, Barack H.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Feb 25, 2008.

1. superstring01 Moderator

Exactly. There is proof of this one. It could be that the others are more sly or it could be that it just hasn't happened (secrets like these are hard to keep, especially with hundreds of staffers on both sides of the frontier).

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Hillary's campaign has said - I think "admitted" is the word these days - that they have been in contact with the Canadians over NAFTA.

Does anyone think that McCain's folks have not ? That the large Canadian lobby representing the US's foremost trading partner, longest border, and major source of energy, has been carefully keeping their distance from the big players in the US Senate, let alone the prospective Presidents ?

A reasonable guess would be that so far Obama has had the least contact with the Canadians over NAFTA of any of the major candidates except maybe Huckabee. On Wednesday's and on Saturdays, but mostly on the latter days (the news cycle being what it is), things like Obama's lack of history with the Canadians over NAFTA are supposed to count against him.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

I didn't merely say prove that statement, I said find proof for that statement, because apparently it's not common knowledge as you make it out to be; and your proof should come from somewhere other than dodgy blog sites. Thanks in advance for the effort.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Brutus1964 We are not alone! Registered Senior Member

Isn’t it ironic that Mitt Romney was drummed out of the campaign for belonging to a ”radical cult” but if you compare the sedate nature of an LDS sacrament meeting to the raucousness of the ”Reverend” Jeremiah Wrights church then you have to ask, ”So which one is the radical cult again?”.

8. Lord Hillyer Banned Banned

Both are. They each pretend there is an invisible Grand-Poobah of the universe and that he's on their side. Only, despite his omni-superlatives, he has a little trouble with money, and would appreciate your tax-deductible contribution asap.

9. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Anybody got a good live streaming link from Philly?

I'm not having much luck at CNN.con

C-Span does NOT seem to have it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Looks like a feed is ready to go at ABC News (short commercials interspersed on the lead-in, with all the controversial Rev. Wright sound-bites)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  10. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

The CNN feed looks OK now, so far lots more incendiary soundbites. White America is getting an education on the theatrics at Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ. I hope this may help many Americans to better understand the feedback between politics and religion in the Muslim world, by gaining a little insight to charismatic African-American megachurches. Of course it will be a big stretch for the most WASP ethno-centric USAmericans... we'll see... This is obviously going to be a critical speech for the Obama campaign, because their most manipulative opponents are spinning this circus madly. There are tremendous implications for the future riding on Obama's delivery today. I'm expecting to be wowed.

How many more times are we going to hear Wright's "God Damn America" soundbite before the speech? This would be a great drinking game, although enthusiastic partiers would probably get too plastered to comprehend the imminent speech.

OK it's Showtime!

11. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Compared to the ethno-centrism required by radical black separatists, I don't think WASPs are the ones in need of calisthenics.

12. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Wow. I hope to get a transcript up, and that we'll talk about this hope and vision for a more perfect union. Obama is addressing our most pressing domestic issues head-on, like no other candidate I've ever seen, and with a sincere humility that no other candidate expresses. More power to that American Dream, and to that hope of the world.

13. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

15/19: "Compared to the ethno-centrism required by radical black separatists, I don't think WASPs are the ones in need of calisthenics."

It's about speaking truth to power. Everything still hinges on the perceived Christian "conservative" base, because that's the demographic that has always controlled the agenda. If USAmericans who most identify with the status-quo cannot be persuaded to profoundly consider a better way forward, nothing is really going to change for the better. A vigorous WASP workout is critical.

Obama expresses a hope and patriotism that I share, that the greatest and most unique thing about the USA is our capability for meaningful change, toward a more perfect, more empathetic, more aware, more progressive, more realistic, more humble, more successful, more world-leading, and more unified nation.

14. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Transcript - Barack Obama Philadelphia Mar 18, 2008

Apologies for such a long attachment to the post, but it's a speech well worth reading and discussing.

15. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

For all the USAmerican scoffing at the faults of religious perversions and collisions in the Mideast, the Obama candidacy is building into a towering example of the same. Over at Wonkette there is a humorous summary of the core of what I expect to be the most telling backlash against the vision that Obama articulates, that will become louder the better he articulates it. It's the same sort of superficial, reactionary impulse that so often brings ad-hominem attacks into this forum. Obama seems no biblical figure to me. But the more he captures the spirit of pro-active and positive change in the USA, the more special interests and demagogues are attempting in desperation to hoist this ancient petard:

While this is not the whole story about the backlash to Obama's appeal, I think it's illustrative of the mudslinging that is sure to follow any idealistic surge, which I think is what the USA needs the most. Our greatest national strength is rooted in ideals of inclusivity, innovation, and reform. Our most vexing problems stem from losing touch with our ideals. But I'm expecting the typical hue and cry over idealistic talk, because statusquoniks do perceive that shared idealism does bring change, which they hate with a vengeance. This country is ready for a real change, and Obama does exhibit skill at defusing political landmines.

16. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't worry too much about Wonkette. I'm a big Gawker fan myself, but judging by the bias of most of that network of blogs, it's a Manhattanite thing that doesn't resonate too loudly outside of the 25-35 web addicted demographic. While that is becoming an increasingly important voting bloc, it still doesn't elect the next POTUS.

What Obama needs to worry about right now is the double digit lead Clinton is commanding in Pennsylvania, and the looming threat of Michigan and Florida being in play at the convention. Never underestimate the power of the Clinton machine. This thing is far from over.

Nice speech today, but as another farker put it, you can't say "I only go to the KKK rallies for the BBQ..." and expect to convince anybody.

17. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

"15/19: Never underestimate the power of the Clinton machine."

It's a big machine, but with a lot of miles on it, and it doesn't accelerate, stop, or corner well. If USAmericans do get on board with the idea of positive change and not the status quo (McSame or Billary) we are going with Obama. He's way more responsive.

""I only go to the KKK rallies for the BBQ..."

Hey. I'm suddenly hungry. I could be tempted to go to one right now, although I usually hate to eat and run like hell.

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

On the subject of landmines, there was one sour note in this speech for me:
    That tempers my appetite. That is not an accurate description of the origins of Mideast conflict. I do understand that this is Obama defusing the most fearsome political booby-trap of all in US politics: If he so much as tweaks the Israeli-exceptionalism tripwire, the Israeli political and religious lobby will immediately blast his political legs to shreds.

-----

Read it again, Hypewaders. That's interesting... I both heard it and read it out of context on the first pass (I think)

19. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Well, maybe I heard him right the first time. It's open to some wide interpretation ... but do watch that tripwire, Obama.

20. otheadp Banned Banned

He has convinced me at least a month ago that he'd be pro-Israel. Maybe it is because of, not inspite of, his unique experience with Muslims, that he understands the scourge he mentioned.

A very nice speech. He should be a preacher or a "Secretary of Healing and Reconciliation" or whatever. But just as extreme leftists here in Canada, he offers beautiful words with no specifics. At least he's not setting up class dichotomies with righteous vengeance. Kudos to him for that. That kind of speech is what leftists excel at.

Come on, B.O., let's hear some specific policy proposals

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Becoming more protectionist with NAFTA will really turn off voters in a country that is the most pro free trade in the world. So no wonder he touts beautiful words instead of specifics. As a Russian saying goes, "you can't put 'thank you' in your pocket".

Read this Der Spiegel article to understand just how empty (but moral and uniting) this suit is.

21. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

otheadp: "he offers beautiful words with no specifics."

On NAFTA, I admit he's not been very clear so far. He gave it a brief broadside against NAFTA in Ohio, that wasn't very convincing to me. I've got mixed feelings about NAFTA myself. Free Trade is tricky; needs more debate in public and in the Congress

On the Spiegel piece:
    I think it's both. Without communicative appeal, there is no way to build a consensus for change. When I compare Obama's platform with the other two leading candidates, I find he puts forward by far the most substance. He's not all "style".

What specifics do you find conspicuously lacking in the Obama platform?

22. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

If I understand what you heard hypewaders, then I heard the same thing and had a similar reaction.

Wright tells the truth, but America can't handle the truth. So far what I have heard from Wright have been simply a religious leader's effort to speak out against perceived injustice.

Maybe Obama has to say these things to get elected, but I am tired of whimpy Democrats. My enthusiasm for Obama just faded quite a bit.

Who's job is it to debunk "the crazy Islamic people hate us for no reason" lies?

23. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member