Can water be destroyed?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by lackofskill, Nov 23, 2005.

1. lackofskill Registered Member

I was riding on the back of a truck when this question came to me. I asked a few people on the truck but no one could come up with a definate anwser, thanks for the help...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

The answer is yes. Now which way do you want to do it?
    You can electrolyse it to hydrogen and oxygen, react it with something like Sodium, or if all else fails use some antimatter. All of these lead to it not being water any more.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TheAlphaWolf Registered Senior Member

water as a whole CAN be "destroyed" as you can use hydrolysis and other things to separate the oxygen from the hydrogen (so it's not water anymore).
    But of course if you're talking about the bigger picture, supposedly matter can't be destroyed so the matter that makes up the water (hydrogen and oxygen) can't be destroyed.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Russ723 Relatively Hairless Ape Registered Senior Member

I hope not, she seems nice.

8. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

har har

you would have to have definitions of destruction and water is in order to say whether water can be destroyed.

if you say that water is H2O and anything else would not be water, then yes, all you have to do is change what molecule it is, by adding or subtracting an element from it.

however, if you say water is a group of protons, neutrons, and electrons, then you would have to transform these into something else (energy for example) in order to be rid of them.

finally, if you say that water is energy in the for if matter, then it cannon be destroyed because you can only convert the energy to different forms, and cannot lose any.

9. valich Registered Senior Member

What the hell are you talking about?