Can War be Stopped?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by dbrey33, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

:yawn:

peace.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Yes we all know you like to suck balls. Graphic representation noted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

There are, always have been, and always will be sick people.
    I am not claiming that if all people were free from fear, all people will be perfectly well and healthy.
    Sociopaths need to be dealt with now, just as they would then.
    Does freeing people from fear somehow make this worse?
    I can’t see how.
    Freeing people from fear will not “create” sociopaths, but it will help to keep them from amassing a following.

Other than in the relatively small number of sick people, where do power trips and greed come from?
    They are, in their many forms, a response to fear, insecurity and vulnerability.

You want to horde your belongings and protect them from those who are out to steal them.
    You work harder and harder to amass a fortune, because you don’t want your family to go hungry.
    Back to the idea of the only two defenses humans have is intellect and community – you seek power to protect yourself and loved ones from “others”.
    “Us” vs. “Them” comes from insecurity and fear.
    You don’t want to be known as a failure, so you push to keep up with the Joneses.

By the way, I also reject the notion that “selfish” = “bad”.

From a recent post of mine…
    True, honest, selfishness leads to happiness.
    If you lie, cheat and steal, that is not truly selfish, because you are propagating such behavior, and helping to create a world in which you must worry about such things and protect yourself - not to mention, you are doing yourself a disservice.

I like to use a traffic analogy.
    Rush-hour traffic - millions of people on the road and in a rush to get home.
    The self-absorbed person suffering from myopia and tunnel vision would try and cut people off, sneak up the shoulder, merge out of turn and anything else to get over.
    If everyone, however, were to leave adequate distance in front of them, take turns during a merge, leave a closing lane as soon as convenient and drive with a modicum of common courtesy there would be a LOT less traffic problems, people would be less bitter about the commute and everyone would get home much sooner.
    The selfish route results in a benefit for all - the self-absorbed route results in just the opposite.

The abbot of a Buddhist Monastery in California once said to me, "Don't wish people misfortune. Wish even those you consider your enemy the purest happiness. If they are truly happy, they would not hurt others. Wishing happiness to others is a selfish thing." (paraphrased)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

raven,

the abbot at the shaolin temple in london said the same thing to me.

"The abbot of a Buddhist Monastery in California once said to me, "Don't wish people misfortune. Wish even those you consider your enemy the purest happiness. If they are truly happy, they would not hurt others."

its true,

peace.

8. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

LMAO! "Don't wish people misfortune wish them happiness." What a load of crap.
    HAHAHAHA!!!!

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

are you like 13 years old?

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

He couldn't be bothered to type "Irrelevant" or "Not logical". Same ol' same ol'.
    How's it hanging Chi?

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Like I said earier in this thread...

12. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

quite low a little to the left,

hey im good i just got back from a little work i had to take care of, *covers up the yellow S on his chest with a white shirt*

today was such a beautiful hot day, this summer is sure going to be a cracker.

how you doing? (in a joey from friends voice)

peace.

13. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Crap.
    My alarm was an hour late (usual one died last night and I used one that hadn't been re-set since winter) and I spent most of the drive to work thinking it was Thursday today... bummer.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

yeah seriously its like talking to my unborn child. but my unborn child has not been proved an idiot yet.

"It's better to remain silent and have some think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

peace.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

sadly it is just wednesday. bank holiday weekend is comming though

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

but apparently i heard it was supposed to be raining.

peace.

16. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Yes.

17. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You guys (meaning Oli and EmptyForceOfChi) should join This Discussion.
    I'd be interested in your opinions.

18. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Out of respect for the other thread, I shall respond to this here.
    Logic is very important.

TBC

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

A. Your position is that war cannot be stopped. It is inevitable that as long as humans exist, they will always partake in this activity.

B. You have posted some points to support your position. I shall respond to your points with nothing short of pure logic after listing them.

C. Before continuing, get off of all this gay lets agree to disagree garbology. Either you are capable of insurmountable reasoning or not. I will agree with you that neither of us can prove empirically what will happen in the future. But we are capable using our reasoning choose a position on whether or not we feel it is possible or probable that humans will ever discontinue this activty we know as war.

D. Discontinue claiming I do not want to listen because you disagree with me. I could care less if somebody disagrees with me. The point is to provide for some intellectual reasoning behind it.

TBC

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

E. It is important that each side is able to properly interpret the other side's points. Therefore, I will do as best as I can not to state my points, but to attempt to clarify what you are saying. It is your duty to ensure that my interpretations of your ideas are complete and correct.

HERE ARE SOME OF MY INTERPRETATIONS OF YOUR POINTS
    1. Humans have always practiced the activity of war in the past. Any activity that humans have practiced in past will be practiced for the rest of humanity's existence.

2. The behavior of practicing war is a not a psychological abnormaility, but a healthy normal part of human nature.

3. War does more good for the planet and humanity than it does damage.

4. Humanity as a whole lacks the intelligence/overall potential to completely discontinue partaking in war.

21. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

The reason I used shortened your quote, and used 3 posts instead of 1 is because something is wrong with the interface. I is not allowing me to post everything in one post. I had to split it up into 3 seperate posts. Anybody else having this problem?

22. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

No, because I've figured out how to copy posts into my responses. Strange that an ignorant, illogical, old fart like me can learn it, but you, who claims to know everything and more, who thinks he can rule the world, who claims to know all about human nature, can't do learn it. And yet you are the one telling everyone else what to do, how to act and how to do it. Odd, huh?

Baron Max

23. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

You mean like telling you how to stop crying about how I like to tell everybody else what to do just because you cannot come up with a decent response?
    "Oh no CS is trying to impose his ideas on others. Let me not comment on his ideas, and instead cry about it. Boo hoo. Stop it!"

Either way, copying an entire post into a response makes no sense. No matter what, a response that is too large will not go through. I even shut down my filesharing, and it still didn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.