Can War be Stopped?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by dbrey33, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbrey33 Registered Member

I have recently read Kurt Vonnegut's famous book, Slaughterhouse-5. In it, he writes:

Vonnegut brings up a debatable topic, because I feel that war can be stopped with enough cooporation from the world. Although it is hard (and unlikely) I sure like to think that there is hope for a war-free world.

What do you think? Will the world ever be freed of war?

Discuss.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

No. War can not be stopped. A particular war might be stopped; but so long as there are humans, there will be war. It's part of our nature.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. dbrey33 Registered Member

Our nature? But why can't humans just realize that the would would be a much happier place to live without the disgusting deaths of war?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Genji Registered Senior Member

Rightwingers are the Doom & Gloom crowd, vehemently opposed to all progress or human advancement. They opposed desegregation, women voting, gays marrying, developing alternative fuels, stem cell research anything that means a step forward. War makes the right wealthy. They don't have to send their kids but they champion death & destruction, then declare all that question or oppose them are terrorists. War will stop existing when humanity balances out it's needs and resources. When we abolish religion we will erase classism. We will achieve this goal if we can stop electing rightwing presidents in bed with oil dynasties in Saudi Arabia and the defense contractor barons.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Here's your first mistake. Our needs are not the issue. It's our desires. Our desires will never be in balance with our resources. No matter how much you have, you want more. Furthermore, even if 99% of people live in perfect harmony, it only takes one retrograde idiot to start a war. And as the old saying goes, there's one born every minute.

9. Genji Registered Senior Member

I've heard this before. I have a much higher regard and hope for humanity than that. Capitalism is just an entity that eats. It doesn't grow or modernize or improve or morph with the times, it just eats. This is where you get your poor view of human beings and our genuine capabilities.

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

no.

the reason i say that is too complex to go into here.

11. dbrey33 Registered Member

I'm curious to hear your reasoning...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Genji Registered Senior Member

Sure, he wants to hear more of LEOPOLD'S reasoning. I'll just curl up & die in the corner.

13. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

Genji, I love human beings and have the highest of hopes for them. I fully expect us to on day escape the confines of this planet and conquor the solar system and then the universe.

But just as humans are capable of incredible greatness, we are capable of intolerable evil. You probably can't have the one without the other.

So long as some men have evil in their hearts and are willing to use violence to achieve their ends, good men will have to fight them.

That's the alternative. Either tolerate evil and allow it to florish, or fight it by any means necesary. Do you die on your feet, or live on your knees? War is not, by any means, the greatest evil.

14. leopold Valued Senior Member

to understand why i say this you must first understand the reasons for war.

can you name them?

15. leopold Valued Senior Member

aren't you supposed to be doing somebody?

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

wanna know why? Because just like the common man, countries don't like weak pukes telling 'em what to do. The difference is there is no one policing the world.

17. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Not as long as the Genji's of the world see enemies everywhere.

18. Genji Registered Senior Member

A touch crude maybe?

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Where did you go to school, Moscow??? You've got it exactly backwards. Capitalism does not "eat," it creates. Capital by definition is surplus wealth. Capitalism creates a surplus so that the total wealth of the community continually increases, and with only a modicum of good management the per-capita wealth increases as well.

It's communism that "eats." Communism creates a "negative surplus" so that the community has to dissipate whatever surplus was left over from the previous economic system until there is no more (or gobble up satellite countries and dissipate their surpluses), and then it collapses.

If your real complaint is that surplus wealth is not distributed "fairly," then get enough education to obtain a position with some responsiblity and do your part to make it fairer. Bright, good-hearted kids all bitch about how they don't want to become part of the "corporate machine," and then they turn around and bitch about the way it's being run by the people to whom they've abandoned it. Duh?
    There are no absolutes in human life (including this one).

The culture of war peaked in WWII, at the beginning of my life. An entire race was almost exterminated, nuclear weapons were deployed against civilian targets, and three percent of the earth's population was killed.

During my lifetime I have seen the human race resolutely back away from that extreme militarism. Only four conflicts since 1946 have had a million deaths, and only the Congo civil war hit the three million mark. (China 1.2 million, Korea 1.3 million and Vietnam 1.9 million are the other three.)

We have the luxury to wring our hands over what's going on in places like Darfur, Somalia and Sierra Leone. The whole world is watching Iraq and the entire war's death toll doesn't compare to some single battles in WWII.

I don't mean to belittle any of these tragedies and I'd like to see the Religious Redneck Retard put on trial along with his counterparts in the Middle East and in Africa--many of whom make him look like an amateur bully. But it's undeniable that the world has become a more peaceful place than it was during my own lifetime.

As the world continues to merge into one civilization and--perhaps more importantly--one economy, we're less likely to see nations pummeling each other at the expense of messing up their own markets and their own suppliers. We'll see full-scale war supplanted by much smaller acts of terrorism.

"No war"? Perhaps not. "Less war, less dangerous war"? Absolutely

20. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

Only a loser type mentallity will say something like war CANNOT be stopped. Winners know better.

FACTS:
    War can be eliminated.
    Poverty can be eradicated.
    Human on human violence can be eliminated.
    Harmony can be acheived globally.

In fact, these are not only possible, but it is inevitable. It will happen. It might happen tomorrow. It might happen 1,000 years from now. It is nonetheless as inevitable as the evolution of animalia.

MORE FACTS:
    Losers will oppose the elimination of all these "bad things" in order to defend their belief that all these "bad things" cannot be eliminated. And they will fail because they are losers. They believe these bad things are a part of life which is false. They also believe that all these "bad things" will always "necessarily" be a part of life which is also false. These false beliefs are the primary fuel that keeps them irrationally attatched to defending the existence of these "bad things".

Simply put, all these bad things are logically unecessary in human society. CS sees no logical purpose for us as humans to perpetuate them.

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  21. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well that pretty much settles it. The young buck sleeping with carrion beetles says war can be stopped; therefore, the complete inverse is 100% true.

22. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

There is no logical purpose for the existence of war. War and violence are impractical. It is illogical.

23. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

If everyone on sciforums chips in so you can have a good education would you go? Would you want it? Would you try hard to learn?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.