Can there be love without lust?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Curious George, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Curious George Registered Member

I was wondering, as a 17 yr old i don't exactly have a wealth of experience, whether it is possible or whether indeed many relationships exist purely on the basis of friendship. What I am trying to ask is it possible to have an adult, long lasting ,completely fulfilling relationship without no or very little physical attraction between partners?? Is lust a necessary part to love that could establish a long term relationship/marriage??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

yeah, they are called best friends.
    I would never ever marry someone I didn't lust after.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

You can love your brother without lust.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Curious George Registered Member

i stated that a ment a marriage type relationship how do delte a thread??? im new at this and iv managed to create the same thread twice!!!

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

Lust is so wonderful, I can't imagine a life without it. It would be so dreadfully boring.

9. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

Many old couples don't have lust.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and many do.

11. Curious George Registered Member

But is it fair to assume they were lustful for each other when they were young???

12. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Yes, it is a VERY safe bet.

13. Curious George Registered Member

are you saying there has never been/ very very few relationships that have lasted where by atleast one of the partners was not physically attracted to the other??

14. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Love with out lust? physical attraction?

Never experienced it, in a partner. If you aren't physically attracted, is this marriage sexless too? :shrug: Doesn't sound like anything I would want to be a part of.

15. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well I don't know how my neighbour could be attracted to her husband (for that matter anybody be attracted to him) They are married though. She always look miserable . I don't know if they are happy or even have sex. Maybe they are just going through the motions, who knows. I certainly wouldn't do it.

16. Curious George Registered Member

well u dont have to be attracted to someone to have sex with them. I'm sure theres plenty of women out there whom have had sex just because they really like the guy for who he is. Can a great personality make someone physically attractive in kinda strange way??

17. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

I don't know. Everybody I ever had sex with I was attracted too.

18. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Lasted, sure. Started out that way, never. Except for arranged marriages where bride and groom had no choice in the matter. And in those latter cases, if lust was not present, love certainly was not.

19. Curious George Registered Member

Really? I woman has never married a man just becuase she really really liked the person who he was?? Having been fed up with the good looking ones whom always seem to dissapoint.

20. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Curious George is not asking about miserable marriages. He is asking whether a happy, love-filled marriage is possible without sexual attraction. My answer is -- not until late in life. And not necessarily even then.

21. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Well if she really really likes the person he is. There is some attraction to him even if it isn't physical.

22. Letticia Registered Senior Member

Lust is not always based on physical attraction. I can be attracted to a man's personality even if he looks like Oog the apeman. But "attracted" by definition means I want to have sex with him. If I just want to spend time and have conversations, I would not marry him.

23. Curious George Registered Member

But thats contradictory.Could you be attracted so much by a guy's personality that his physical appearances just well, doesn't matter?