Can science prove how old the earth was?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Mind Over Matter, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leopold Valued Senior Member

another assumption with radiometric dating is that you know how much of the material there was to begin with.
    yet another is that no outside sources influenced the outcome.
    and then there is the problem of constant decay rate.
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0808.3156
    the above link shows the decay rate is not as certain as you would like to believe.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

The amount of lead initially in the crystal being zero isn't an assumption, it's an observation.

The amount of Uranium initially in the sample isn't an issue, because what we're measuring is the relative abundances of particular isotopes.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

How old do you think the Earth is, leopold99?

Which of these figures is most likely in your opinion?
    (a) less than 6000 years
    (a) about 6000 years
    (b) 60,000 years
    (c) 600,000 years
    (d) 6 million years
    (e) 1 billion years or older

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

well its at least 50 years old, anything else would be speculation on my part.

8. leopold Valued Senior Member

how does this work? what isotopes are we talking about?

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

So you have no opinion at all on how old the Earth is?

You can't even narrow it down to one of the categories I gave you?

How about a guess, then? What's your guess as to how old the Earth is, leopold99? Go on, give it your best shot.

Regarding your question to Trippy, do you understand how a process such as radioactive carbon dating works (i.e. by comparing the ratio of carbon-14 atoms to carbon-12 atoms)? The same kind of thing is done when we use isotopes of other elements (e.g. uranium).

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

no, i haven't the foggiest notion.
    maybe.
    well if you swallow what education gives us i would hazard a guess at somewhere around 4.6 billion years old.
    i didn't know it worked like carbon 14 dating.

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

As JamesR said, kinda like C-14 dating.

Go back and look at the link that Cap'n K provided in the second post in this thread.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I've seen that argument before, and I don't think it works.
    With the double slit experiment, there are lots of atoms which would "observe" the passage of the photons. The speed of light is slower in air than in a vacuum for this very reason, but it is only conscious observers that make the results different.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yeah, but here's the thing - the lead migrates and accumulates in flaws in the crystal structure (the corrollary of which is that crystals can be leakey, which is why we measure the age of multiple crystals, or at multiple locations on the same crystal).

And my recollection is that even if you set up a completely passive measurement method, and have no one around to watch the experiment in progress, it will still give the same results as if someone was standing there watching it.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

So you don't trust the science of dating? Why not?

Do you swallow what education tells you or not?

You seem good at swallowing what your favorite Creationist websites tell you. Why not science ones?

15. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

What makes you think that your recollection of your early life is not something constructed and placed into your brain in a newly constructed body eleven days ago?

Let me understand you. You are questioning the validity of radio-isotope dating and you don't have even the vaguest idea of how it works. That is frigging criminal. If you had any morality or any intelligence you would be so heartily ashamed you would leave the forum for at least a year.

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

No. You're confusing an assumption with an inference, and probably with several other related concepts too. You don't seem to be much of a scientist so I wonder why you bother coming here.
    You make it seem that an assumption can be pure imagination. This is false. An assumption, while not being proven true, is indeed based on evidence. It's similar to a hypothesis.

Your personal rhetorical style has all the trappings of intellectual dishonesty: attempting to manipulate people into behaving in ways that entertain or otherwise benefit you or your community by causing them to believe things you know are not true.

Each moderator here has his or her own crusade and mine is to stamp out intellectual dishonesty because there is no room for it in a place of science and scholarship. I suggest that you straighten up or you'll find yourself banned... apparently to the great relief of some of our more honorable members.
    This is a textbook example of rational faith. It is perfectly reasonable to have faith in someone or something that has earned that faith by their/its history of behavior, for this history forms the body of evidence from which logical deductions are made. It is not reasonable to have faith in someone or something for which no respectable evidence has ever been presented.

My dog has been loyal, loving and gentle for all of his six years. I have a perfectly rational faith that he will continue to be so.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

the theory itself seems valid, but you must admit that it is an indirect method.
    you will also have to admit that scientists are not immune to fraud.
    honestly?
    you know james, instead of sitting there all smug you should really take an objective look around you and not accept things "because someone said so".
    what is it with you james?
    evidence for your statement?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  18. leopold Valued Senior Member

show me the posts where i tried to convince ANYONE of something that i knew to be not true.

19. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

At last.

But let me be clear. I do not want Leopold banned. I want him to see sense, to start using logical arguments, etc. That is my preference, but he seems incapable of that, so banning it should be.

20. leopold Valued Senior Member

you know guys i would like to think my endevours here on sciforums have been relatively honest.

if my banning will give you a fucking hard-on then go for it.

21. Mind Over Matter Registered Senior Member

I asked because scientific theories change from age to age. So, I think scientists cannot accurately say how old the earth is.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  22. AlexG Like nailing Jello to a tree Valued Senior Member

Yes, they get more accurate.

23. Pinwheel Banned Banned

Slice it in half and count the rings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.