Can Satan repent?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Dennis Tate, Mar 7, 2021.

?

Do demons and devils have HOPE?

1. NO

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. YES

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Maybe????? That would be nice wouldn't it??????

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

and how does Satan fit into that arrangement ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Before that question can be answered we first must define the terms Devil and Demon.and if the question even applies.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

No reason to. Since they were immortal, beyond natural determinism, and closer to God in status, there were presumably no special pacts or "safety nets" for angels (or whatever Lucifer was originally contended to be by ancient believers).

Forgiveness was a tricky business in the Old Testament.[1] Not only were there no guarantees that a ritual procedure would garner mercy, but deliberate or heavily motivated defiance, rebellion, and disrespect were apparently unforgivable, even for mortal Hebrews who had contracts with God.[2] All the more applicable to high-ranking, fully responsible beings with thereby zero redemption modes.

With respect to Christian or New Testament ideology[3], Christ died to save lesser humans from the penalty of their transgressions, not fellow spiritual beings who had fallen. So even that payment for deliverance was not retrospectively applicable to the "demon-origin" events of the OT.

- - - footnotes - - -

Two excerpts from Jewish Virtual Library (forgiveness):

[1] "In the religion of ancient Israel, in contrast to that of its neighbors, rituals are not inherently efficacious."

[2] "... Another limitation placed upon sacrificial means of obtaining forgiveness is that it can only apply to inadvertent errors (Num. 15:22–29). Blatant contempt of God cannot be expiated by sacrifice (Num. 15:30–31; I Sam. 3:14) or any other means (Ex. 23:21; Josh. 24:19). Moreover, contrition and compassion are indispensable coefficients of all rituals of forgiveness, whether they be expiatory sacrifices (Lev. 5:5–6; 16:21; Num. 5:6–7) or litanies for fasting (Joel 2:12–14; I Sam. 7:5–6)."

[3] 5 Myths About Forgiveness in the Bible: The Greek word translated as "forgive" in the New Testament, aphiēmi, carried a wide range of meanings, including to remit (a debt), to leave (something or someone) alone, to allow (an action), to leave, to send away, to desert or abandon, and even to divorce.

In fact, the Greek word appears 146 times in the New Testament, but it is translated in most English versions as "forgive" only 38 of those times. Considering the entire range of meanings of this word gives us some indication of what "forgiveness" might have meant to listeners in Jesus' first-century context. Most of all, forgiveness was an action rather than a feeling, and so our contemporary ideas about forgiveness as an emotional state must come from sources other than the biblical text.

Here I submit five prevailing "myths" about forgiveness that have come into Christian belief and practice...

Dennis Tate likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Wow!!!!!

I will have to read through all of this again shortly but for the moment I would like to somewhat concede the point that perhaps........
    ... just perhaps.......
    IF the idea is true that maybe Satan is acting in the general mind set of Stanley Milgram Ph. D. who
    designed the Milgram Experiment during the time of the Nuremburg War Crimes Trials..............

... and IF.. .it is true that the major goal that he has in mind is to destroy idolatry.... and fear.....
    and cowardice out of all humans...........

... then in that case.......

you could well be correct and the word "repent" in the English language may not be a very good word to describe the next philosophical step for "Stanley Milgram Lucifer Satan / former Covering Cherub HaLel ......... !

Wow!!!!!

8. Dennis Tate Valued Senior Member

Good question......
    I am referring to being close enough to the point of death that for some reason or another some sort of Life Review is triggered and if there is also an out of the body experience added to the equation..... then that would be even better.

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Beautifully argued and I, for one, totally agree.

Dennis Tate likes this.