Can our imagination concieve of something that doesn't exist?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by wynn, Apr 30, 2011.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Who mentioned God?, My 'very brief definition is "something from nothing" you can explain your definition here.

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?p=2743649#post2743649

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Emil Valued Senior Member

In this case the word "create" is meaningless because "something from nothing" is impossible.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

If something from nothing is impossible how did the universe and the dimension of space get here.

So your saying the universe has always existed there was never a "Beginning".

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

Time travel into the past doesn't exist; but you can conceive traveling into the past to a previous era of history, or even of your own life. You could meet a younger copy of yourself, say.

So absolutely it's possible to form concepts for which there is no corresponding physical reality; a child might conceive of being able to fly like Superman too.

But concepts really do exist in a real brain, even the ones that don't correspond to reality. So this suggests that reality is there to inform us which of the concepts we have are the realistic ones, like the concept of say, "motion"

8. Emil Valued Senior Member

I do not know.
    No
    I just do not know.

9. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

So do you wish to learn?, because you have the criteria of a student.

10. Emil Valued Senior Member

I am always ready to learn. I have an innate curiosity.

11. Jdk5191 Registered Member

do you mean like laser guns and unicorns?

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Obviously, the biggest problems here are the ever-so-loaded words "existence" and "reality".
    Everything we say here depends on how we understand those.

13. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

That's good, seeking knowledge and truth is a duty for all sentient beings.

Peace.

14. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

A "laser" Gun is the result of Manipulation and construction of already existing elements and materials.

A Unicorn is a Horse with a Horn on its head, a Mere alteration in the mind of an already Existing Creature.

Creation is not manipulation.

Peace.

15. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

People need to clarify where they stand on word definitions, many seem to confuse the term creation with manipulation.

Peace.

16. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Oh, if only it were so easy to define a word!
    Instead, we are often Humpty-Dumpties against our will.

17. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Lol, I think we just need to present which 'definition we subscribe to or are using while posting.

I do not use the word creation if it involved 'manipulations' and 'alterations' of pre-existing Elements/Dimensions/Systems. "Creating" something in the definition I adhere to would imply bringing something into existence from nothing.

Manipuation of an already existing entity or substance isn't creation, merely an alteration and adjustment.

PEace.

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, EFOC, why have you moved the goalposts of the thread from mere "conceiving" to "creating"?
    You were the first to introduce the term into this thread, and I'm curious as to why?

19. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

I expained Definitions, are you saying "Concieving" something is not creating something?.

20. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

There is some overlap, but not in the way you define "create" - which more strictly is "creation from nothing" rather than merely "creation".

While "Create" is from the Latin: CREARE (to create/make/produce etc), "Conceive" is from the Latin: CON (together) and CAPERE (to take)... which in turn leads to the meaning along the lines of combining and developing... not specifically of creation.

With regard the overlap, this is only if you take creation not as meaning "creation from nothing" but in terms of generating a new form of preexisting ideas/matter etc. The new conception, not having previously existed, could be said to have been created... but not from nothing.

So what I consider you to have done is to have identified words that often are used synonymously, but then to use a meaning of the new term that is no longer synonymous with the original.

21. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

I wasn't suggesting my definition is the end all to definitions, I was explaining the one I was using I think people need to explain the way they mean it because it seems people are using more than 1 definition of the same word.

I refer you to my thread on the definition of the word creation, in the linguistics sub-forum.

22. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

If you were offering a meaning of the term "conceive" then there would be no issue - but you have swapped "conceive" for "create" and then offered a limiting definition of "create".

To debate whether your definition is an acceptable one within the scope of "create" is a red-herring given that the OP uses the term "conceive".

The idea of "conceiving from nothing" as you would want to use the term (given that you consider "conceive" and "create" to be synonymous) is a linguistic paradox, given that conceive is not "from nothing".

23. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

No, You cannot "Concieve" a new Colour in your mind, therefore you cannot create anything new only manipulate.