Can humans reach enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Grantywanty, Nov 1, 2007.

1. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

In that case: If you're serious about this, then you have a lot of studying to do, as these things cannot be appropriately covered in a post.

Access to Insight is a good place to start, if you don't already know it. The link here goes to the General Index; check out under "Brahmavihara". You might also take A Self-guided Tour of the Buddha's Teachings.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I would say the opposite. We get caught up in arguments and worldly affairs that are contrary to an atmosphere of purity and contemplation.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I agree.
    Although talking and discussing and debating so much can be a way to make up for a poor self-confidence, especially when one doesn't have a teacher or a RL community of like-minded people to rely on.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

I reached enlightenment once. It was a nice way to spend a weekend, but I was glad to come back.

8. peta9 Registered Senior Member

i think enlightenment is a process of learning. To me enlightenment is seeing behind the veil of illusion.

9. Myles Registered Senior Member

So who or what becomes enlightened ? How would such a state be recognized ?

10. Myles Registered Senior Member

Can you please tell me hoe to do it. I need a break/

11. lightgigantic Banned Banned

it's an indication that the corporeal body is not the final last word about us and that the soul or atma is the real foundation of the self

as for how it would be recognized, wisdom seeker gave an indication already
    :shrug:

12. kmguru Staff Member

You mean, you once became a human being for a day, and then went back to being a monkey again? How sad! All kidding aside, once you are enlightened, technically you should maintain your capability rather than losing it like they show in Sci-Fi movies.

13. kmguru Staff Member

Perhaps, enlightenment has something to do with the following ideas saw on the net:

The workings of the human mind have been historically described as metaphors of contemporary information technology. In ancient Greece memory was like a "seal ring in wax" and in the 19th century the mind was seen as a telegraph switching circuit. In this century the classical computer has been the dominant metaphor for the brain's activities. If quantum computation becomes a technological reality, consciousness may inevitably be seen as some form of quantum computation. Indeed enigmatic features of consciousness have already led to proposals for quantum computation in the brain.

To address these issues, various proposals have been suggested in which macroscopic quantum phenomena are connected to the brain's known neural activity. For the problem of unitary binding, Marshall (1989) suggested that coherent quantum states known as Bose-Einstein condensation occurred among neural proteins (c.f. Penrose, 1987; Bohm and Hiley, 1993; Jibu and Yasue, 1995). Pre-conscious to conscious transitions were identified by Stapp (1992) with collapse of a quantum wave function in pre-synaptic axon terminals (c.f. Beck and Eccles, 1992). In another proposal, protein assemblies called microtubules within the brain's neurons are viewed as self-organizing quantum computers ("orchestrated objective reduction - Orch OR" e.g. Penrose and Hameroff, 1995; Hameroff and Penrose 1996a; 1996b; c.f. Hameroff 1997; 1998a; 1998b; 1998c; 1998d).

At first glance the possibility of macroscopic quantum states in biological systems seems unlikely, appearing to require either extreme cold (to avoid thermal noise) or laser-like energetic pumping to achieve coherent states. And as in technological proposals, perfect isolation of the quantum state from the environment (and/or quantum error correction codes) would be required while the system must also somehow communicate with the external world. Living cells including the brain's neurons seem unsuitably warm and wet for delicate quantum states which would seem susceptible to thermal noise and environmental decoherence. However specific conditions supporting quantum states in microtubules may have evolved (see Section III).

In addition to its biological setting, the Orch OR proposal differs significantly in another regard from technologically envisioned quantum computers. The latter would arrive at output states through reduction ("collapse") of quantum superposition to classical states by environmental decoherence the quantum state would be interrupted by the external world. The outcome states in technological quantum computers would therefore reflect deterministic processing influenced at reduction by some probabilistic randomness.

On the other hand Roger Penrose (1989; 1994; 1996) has proposed that isolated quantum systems which avoid environmental decoherence will eventually reduce nonetheless due to an objective threshold ("objective reduction" - OR) related to an intrinsic feature of fundamental spacetime geometry (see below). Unlike the situation following environmental decoherence, outcome states which reduce due to Penrose's objective reduction are selected by a non-computable influence on the deterministic, pre-reduction quantum computation. Non*computability implies a non-algorithmic process which is neither deterministic nor random, a property which Penrose (e.g. 1997) also attributes to conscious thought and understanding. This clue suggests that quantum computation with objective reduction may be somehow involved in consciousness.

The objective factor in OR is an intrinsic feature of spacetime itself (quantum gravity). Penrose begins from general relativity with the notion that mass is equivalent to spacetime curvature. He concludes that quantum superpositionactual separation (displacement) of mass from itselfis equivalent to simultaneous spacetime curvatures in opposite directions, causing "bubbles", or separations in fundamental reality (Figure 1).

LINK

14. Myles Registered Senior Member

I am not obliged to accept any indications. When you refer to the corporeal body what exactly do you mean. I am only aware of one body. If I get your drift, you are suggesting that there is more to us than a physical body. If that is so can you describe the attributes of a non-corporeal body.

Don't shrug so much. It'snot good for your corporeal body because you may develop a twitch. It also suggest that anyone who disagrees with your views is beyond help, which is no more than impertinence on your part.

15. Myles Registered Senior Member

I thought Laika was a bitch sent into orbit bt the then Soviet Union. So how does a monkey fit into all of this ?

16. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

It is most certainly NOT an indication that "the corporeal body is not the final last word blah blah blah".

At most is an idea, based on unproven premises and assumptions.

Prove enlightenment exists (which would require satisfactory definition and observable, testable criteria, repeatability etc) and then we can move to what it might be an indication of.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you can't do that adequately.
    And then we'll go through your whole spiel of lack of foundation blah blah blah.
    And so I guess it leaves us in the same position as you claiming, us asking for evidence, and you not providing. :shrug:

17. Myles Registered Senior Member

I enjoyed your post because, unlike much of the stuff I read on here, it is supported by evidence and references as oposed to pure speculation masquerading as fact.

Many physicists , uncomfortable with current explanations of QM, are attempting to find an underlying determinism. Please see New Scientist, 3 November 2007 pages 36 - 39. I think Penrose may have shifted his position slightly.

In any event, the article " Quantum Untanglement " is worth reading for anyone who wishes to get up to speed with some of the latest thinking in QM

18. Myles Registered Senior Member

Be patient. I have asked for a definition of what a non-corporeal. I'm sure I shall get a convincing explanation or, at least one that convinces those who choose to believe it.

I sometimes wonder whether those who talk so glibly about enligtenment know anyhing about THE ENLIGHTENMENT. Perhaps the history of ideas is not their forte.

19. lightgigantic Banned Banned

it certainly is the presentation of that as an idea
    apart from theory, what else could one hope to talk about in the association of those bereft of practice?
    as already indicated in numerous previous threads (aka the high school drop out vs physics), the task of proving something to someone bereft of qualification is an arduous task

can you indicate a single aspect of something knowable that exists outside of practice?
    It seems you have a problem not so much with theism but knowledge in general

the actual situation is that the prerequisite of evidence is qualification - there are very good reasons why forensic detectives are called in instead of janitors, even though they may have a salary 3 times higher - if you think evidence is self evident, you are no better than a cave man

20. lightgigantic Banned Banned

really?
    which body is that?
    the moment you say "this body" it has already changed under the influence of time

it is unchanging
    for instance even though your body has undergone drastic changes in the past 20 years, you have still retained the same sense of "I" (although this is most likely a sense of "I" in relation to the changing body - thus you would not be 'enlightened")

I guess its just a way of reciprocating with intellectual apathy, which I admittedly picked up from you more so on another thread than this one
    :shrug:

21. kmguru Staff Member

Thank you. Well, when I started the Eastern Philosophy section, I tried to demystify with rational explanations based on the latest scientific studies and from personal observations as I have been practicing meditation and Gyana Yoga for over 40 years and practicing Cybernetics Engineer. But there comes a time, I have posted what need to be posted and there is nothing new to post. Sometimes I find a connection is necessary for members to move in the right direction.

The speculation of mind as a quantum device has been around for a while. As I understand, in a multidimensional multiverse (if there is such a thing) one can simultaneously connect to past, present and future - i.e. all possible scenarios. The Hindu Philosophy talks about Akashik records where every event can be accessed.

Perhaps enlightenment is a state when, for that fraction of a second one can see the true nature of the universe. But remembering all that aspect may be impossible due to our memory limitations except that "Aha" moment. It is like remembering the state of Orgasm in every detail a month later.

Then the question comes, if we can not do that, can we really know if we are enlightened after that brief moment passes? Can we hold the information of the Universe in our mind?

22. Myles Registered Senior Member

You ask , " which body is that ?" and seem to answer your own question by telling me my body is changing. Are you suggesting that a body which changes is not a body ?

If you know of a body which does not change, would you please explain what it is as I have no such knowledge. Notce I am asking you to EXPLAIN. Making a statement that X exists is not an explanation. You must provide some evidence to support your claim.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

No

I am saying that technically your corporeal body is not singular, so it becomes difficult to understand what you are referring to when you say you're only aware of one body

I don't understand your position
    first you say you are aware of only one body and now you say you say that you are not aware

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

explaining becomes easier when one can understand a persons existing understanding of a topic