Can Gravitational Bodies Grow?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by OilIsMastery, Sep 30, 2008.

1. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No. It is thought that most planetary accretion occurred in the early stages of the formation of our solar system. Essentially, the Sun and Jupiter swept up much of the remaining material, so accretion rates are virtually negligible now.

Why does nobody else believe this (except you, of course)?

Plate tectonics.

Look it up.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

It is thought by whom? By you?

So let me try and get this straight. Gravity just miraculously and magically stopped all of the sudden and there were suddenly no more impacts?

No shooting stars anymore? No meteorites? No potential future impacts?

I guess all the PhDs I've quoted for you time and time and again are all named "nobody." Fascinating.

Myth.

Look it up.

"We have to be prepared always for the possibility that each new discovery, no matter which science furnishes it, may modify the conclusions that we draw." -- Alfred L. Wegener, astrophysicist/geoscientist, 1928

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Another fallacy/falsehood.
    Nothing I have said contradicts that map.
    Carbon dating is irrelevant.

One could ask you.

Do you or do you not accept radiometric dating that dates sea floor sequences that have since been incorporated into continental sequences as being greater than 200 Ma?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

A question is neither a fallacy nor a falsehood. Nice way to dodge the question though. Your typical puerile response.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Once again you demonstrate a complete lack of comprehension of basic numeracy skills in relation to orders of magnitude.

9. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Oh get stuffed you dishonest hack.
    We've already been through this. A question can be both a falsehood and a fallacy, especially when it is so clearly intended to be misleading.

And I answered your question - carbon dating is irrelevant to ocean floor spreading, or dates as old as 200 Ma.

Carbon dating can not be reliably used to date materials more than 60,000 years old.

Oh, and i'm sure that no sane person reading this thread will overlook the fact that where I answered your question, you completely sidestepped mine.

If you meant something difference, then you should at least have the background knowledge to ask what you actually want to know.

10. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

So the Earth is only 60,000 years old? How did they date the oceanic lithosphere?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

OIM:

Yes. And also by the scientific experts in such matters.

No. Impacts continue today, but at a far lower rate than in the past.

There are still shooting stars. Go outside at night in a dark location, and you might even see some!

Did you not know this?

'fraid not.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

No.

Only a few days ago, it was announced that rocks have been found and dated to about 4.3 billion years.

13. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

What you call "experts" I call 20th century fundamentalists.

So as mass is added to the Earth due to collisions, the Earth's gravity increases or decreases?

I'm glad you're on the same page.

You're not supposed to quote me out of context or put words into my mouth as you have "warned" me continually.

14. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

On the moon and in Canada. The oldest rocks in the ocean are less than ~200 my.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

OIM:

Fine. We can agree to disagree then.

It increases, at a very slow rate, given the current rate of impacts.

Not sure what you're talking about here. I haven't quoted you out of context. On the contrary, I quoted your entire post.

It's hard to dig for rocks at the bottom of the ocean.

How could Canada be 4.3 billion years old if the entire earth was only 60,000 years old?

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Another fallacy posed as a question.

Your questioning a claim that I did not make - technicaly a strawman fallacy.

No, I am neither stating or implying that the earth is only 60,000 years old, and frankly it's really low to imply that I am.

My recollection is that the age of the ocean floor is measured by a variety of methods including stratigraphy, measurements of magnetic field strengths, and direct radiometric dating.

Here's a (partial) list of methods, all of which are valid over different time scales.

argon-argon (Ar-Ar)
    fission track dating
    helium (He-He)
    iodine-xenon (I-Xe)
    lanthanum-barium (La-Ba)
    lead-lead (Pb-Pb)
    lutetium-hafnium (Lu-Hf)
    neon-neon (Ne-Ne)
    optically stimulated luminescence dating
    potassium-argon (K-Ar)
    radiocarbon dating
    rhenium-osmium (Re-Os)
    rubidium-strontium (Rb-Sr)
    samarium-neodymium (Sm-Nd)
    uranium-lead (U-Pb)
    uranium-lead-helium (U-Pb-He)
    uranium-thorium (U-Th)
    uranium-uranium (U-U)

As you can see, we're not just limited to Radiocarbon dating.

So what's your next lie?

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

18. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

In other words, on a daily basis.

Not for an enhanced-Enterprise class drillship: http://www.deepwater.com/fw/main/Were_Never_Out_of_Our_Depth-140.html

Good question. Ask Trippy. He seems to think dating only goes back 60,000 years.

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

And this is precisely the sort of thing you have been warned about in the other thread.

This statement bears absolutely no resemblence to what I have said, and is in no way implied in what i've said.

As well as being a blatant lie, it's a strawman fallacy.

20. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Again, you're a liar and quoting me out of context.

They Radiocarbon dating can not be reliably used to date materials more than 60,000 years old.
    They do not use Radiocarbon dating to date the age of oceanic crust.

22. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

So how did the National Geophysical Data Center date the oceanic lithosphere?

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

That also has been explained to you.

Zircon dating.
    Magnetic reversal history (used to be the primary method, they compary the history of reversals to that measured in terrestrial lava flows that can be accurately and reliably dated).
    Stratigraphy, based of seismology.