Can darkness cause permanent blindness?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by FrankBaker, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. http://realitypod.com/2012/07/3-or-...tal-darkness-can-lead-to-permanent-blindness/

According to it, a lack of any stimulation for a while (3+ days) will cause the cells in the eye to die, like how muscles atrophy.
    The article notes complete darkness. As in, deep in a cave with no lanterns, hat-lights, or phones darkness.

There are too many websites which state this, but just searching ''3 days of darkness cause blindness'' will get hits.

I'm skeptical. Most people do not have green eyes so we can rule out that the cells in the eyes rely on photosynthesis to survive.
    Instead blood seems more reasonable as a method of keeping these cells alive.

Is there any evidence which either proves or disproves this legend? Not only have I seen it all over web factoid sites, but also in cavern safety leaflets.

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2014
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

'factoid', aye?

Meh!!
    Seems like another good reason to stay away from facebook.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  6. billvon Valued Senior Member

False.
    In France they used to keep prisoners in total darkness for YEARS. When they emerged they could still see. (Took them a long time to readapt though.)

7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

It will not make you blind (it would take generations of living in complete darkness for the human body to start adapting out eyesight in favor of other senses, if it happens at all) but it WILL make it uncomfortable for you to enter bright light (such as daylight) until you readjust.

8. Got a link?
    Complete darkness needs to be complete, as in; no candles, no gaps where tiny amounts of light may enter (including when the guard enters the cell to give the prisoners food, etc) being in complete darkness for 24/7 with no brief encounters with light

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

No links - but one time I had a serious injury an wore an eyepatch for 12 consecutive days. No light, no patch change.

I call the claim total BONKERS!

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I'm not sure what you think having green eyes has to do with photosynthesis...?

Cesspool is looking inviting.

11. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Complete permanent darkness will result in complete permanent blindness.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Well, only in so much as you can't see... it isn't that you are blind, it's that it's dark...

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes and I am very pleased to see Frank Gaga has now been banned permanently.

Place your bets on how many months it will be before a new sock puppet appears, with some more shite about spontaneous combustion*, exploding thymus glands, etc…….

* "…that and none other, of all the deaths that can be died." (Bleak House)

14. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

exploding thymus glands??? What have I been missing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.