Can atheists tell right from wrong?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Norsefire, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

However IF THEY WANTED TO rape and pillage, can we say they are "wrong"?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Sure. Most atheist would agree with you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

How can we say they are wrong?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

As I said earlier, morality is a Darwinian adaptation to social environments. That is all that needs to be said. The rest is hot air.

8. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Prove it

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Hmm, have you seen the states where atheism is the state religion?

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Look at any state that has an official state religion.

11. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

You are so wrong...

Here is one explanation for how an atheist can maintain objective morality:

http://www.objectivistcenter.org/showcontent.aspx?ct=452&h=42 viewed 08/31/08 at 4:39 pm EST
    http://www.objectivistcenter.org/showcontent.aspx?ct=452&h=42 viewed 08/31/08 at 4:39 pm EST

Norsefire, for real, click on the link and read it - you might broaden your horizons...

12. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

Yes you can, was covered on the last page.

Of course that does not and will not prevent 'bad' actions and people considering themselves justified in doing them but the minute such actions cause detriment to the community that you are a part of you can say they are objectively wrong, (given the earlier objective facts).

13. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

How can you say they are wrong if they think they are right? It's like telling someone they are "wrong" if they think a certain color is the prettiest

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Of course. But these constraints operate at a level underneath what people mean by "morality". People vary in their moralities - whether "eye for an eye" is a fundamental moral principle, for example, and what exactly that means in practice.

Those are probably not Darwinian adaptations. Other evolutionary patterns - such as Lamarck's - are likely to operate in the social milieu of the higher animals, for starters.
    No such thing.
    They violate my moral principles. How else ?

15. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

And violating your moral principles is wrong to YOU.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I have, any comparison to the Soviet Union, China, North Korea, Vietnam? In the raping and pillaging?

17. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Morality has a control function over behaviour. Behaviour is a Darwinian adaptation.

18. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

How do you explain most atheists adopting a "moral" position similar to "good" theists? No murder, rape, theft, etc.? Purely on the assumption that they (atheists) are "borrowing" this stance from theists? What about when you were agnostic? You know, last week? Did you have no morals then?

19. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Genetics, just as I stated before. It's the same for you and everyone else. There is of course wiggle room, and thats where "people"-influence comes into play.

20. Norsefire Salam Shalom Salom Registered Senior Member

Of course I, and atheists, had morals; my point is, they aren't set-in-stone. Although they probably won't go raping and stealing and murdering, they still CAN without any un-hypocritical action taken against them.

21. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

I suppose theists' morals are "set-in-stone"? What's your position on contraception? Punishment? Do your views reflect those of theists of both past and present ages? How do you account for the discrepancies in what is considered "moral" by various theist factions?

22. audible un de plusieurs autres Registered Senior Member

I have children, you are so wrong. We are social animals, without an innate sense of morality we would not survive, we need each others, therefore we must be empowered with an innate ethic of reciprocity.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity
    Yes we learn the morals of the group, as we grow. But we all start with an innate morality.

23. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

For what it's worth, here is another link on "innate morality":

http://discovermagazine.com/2007/may/the-discover-interview-marc-hauser/article_view?b_start:int=2&-C= viewed 08/31/08 6:15 pm EST
    http://discovermagazine.com/2007/may/the-discover-interview-marc-hauser/article_view?b_start:int=2&-C= viewed 08/31/08 6:15 pm EST

Maybe there is another explanation besides some mysterious "deity" to explain morals, eh, Norsefire? Perhaps the atheists and theists simply spin the origin of their respective morality differently?