Can artificial intelligences suffer from mental illness?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Plazma Inferno!, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Write4U Valued Senior Member

If you handed me acid I would feel pain. Moreover when acid interacts with something we can clearly see the erosive results as hissing, bubbling, slowly disintegrating. These are signs of chemical stress placed on the object.

This obvious physical stress may well be experienced by the object as quantum "bings".
    I living organisms the resulting pain is a mental/neural experience of pain, an introspective warning signal that something is wrong.

I don't think this is so remarkable. All plants experience "warmth" (infra-red), and "cold" (frozen). Even the paramecium experiences "touch", but that is not a mental experience, it is a local sensory experience (kinda like a roomba vacuum cleaner).

Considering the astounding capabilities evolution has bestowed on various organisms, I don't see the experience of pain or pleasure as an extra-ordinary evolutionary feat. It's an efficient neural signaling system. As "memory" is an efficient long term mirroring system.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Right. But I asked you how you would get a bunch of chemicals to feel pain. Not you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. gamelord Registered Senior Member

Of course the real answer is, you have no idea if they are sentient at all, and the only danger is the sheer amount of logical fallacies you routinely use.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. akoreamerican Registered Senior Member

I think it's not so bad being free with your words. It's certainly not as bad as routinely thinking everyone is out to get you .

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

What about the rest of my post?

9. Write4U Valued Senior Member

What sets pain apart from any other "controlled sensory experience"? It is an interpretation of the sensory experience of "touch". Hunger, sadness, happiness, etc., etc.?

All organisms with neural networks seem to experience pain when injured. It is not a unique or rare phenomenon.

RainbowSingularity likes this.
  10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

If we remove the emotional experience, an electrical short causes the connection to heat up and eventually disintegrate. That is an expression of injury. If an electrical connection is attached to a neural network, such as a person touching the shorted circuit, that person will feel the pain of the heat. And if he keeps holding the short, he will get burned also.

I believe Penrose calls it a threshold event (quantum). In short, a threshold event is experienced by all that are subject to it. The difference is that if you are sentient this event is experienced as a sensory pleasant or unpleasant experience (the paramecium stops swimming during sex...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

).
    Else it is just a chemical cause <--> effect event (bing).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  11. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i think the "rare-ness" is the psychosis of disorder.
    an attempt to self actualise in a special relationship to something that has been atributed to a potential loss or negative input.

testing as - once the rare-ness has been removed, does the event still hold a special signifigance ?
    is there any gender orientation around colectivism Vs Special-ism ?

women have been genetically chosen to abide by the group to survive, while men have been selected to not be part of the group to survive.

hardly a moral impass yet definiatively different in its consequential psychosis.

does this relate to the incidence of schitzophrenia in men being higher than women ? etc etc...

i.e "being rejected by a super hot woman who is well above my equal standard of visual hotness(or more soo lack there-of)

the desire to not be just another one of the crowd and to assert a sense of superiorty(to a point of critical failure & loss) to then attempt to not lose is probably a variant form of ADHD cross over autism spectrum.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I believe that after war or natural disaster statistical numbers often favor female births. More females are required to restock the population after population calamities.
    IMO, the psychosis stems from the fact that there are many more patriarchies than matriarchical societies. In many countries women are still considered chattel.
    Valuable possessions.
    The psychosis lies in the choice between the two fundamental relationships.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018