Can anything surpass the speed of light???

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Popcorn8636, Aug 27, 2002.

1. jkimbo Registered Member

I LOVE this subject. As predicted I read all the usual posts about the Laws of Physics, bla bla bla.

technically speaking it is not possibel for any "mass" to travel faster then the speed of light, because it would take a infinite amount of fuel as the mass would grow infinitely. Light has no mass, so no problem. In order for mass to travel at the speed of light and not break any of the Laws Of Einstien, the mass would need to be converted to non-mass.

You should do web searches of Quantum Funneling and Quantum Field Theory. Quantum Mechanics experiements have been done since Einstiens time! And many experiements concluded that speeds faster then light were not only possible, but repeated several times! From light particals to music. In 1935 Einstein called this action, "spooky action at a distance", and did not consider it actually traveling faster then light (FTL). HOWEVER, Quantum Mechanics have proceeded over the years to a startling degree, a subject that has become verry controversial among top Physics. YOU SHOULD DO MORE READING ON THIS!!!

An interesting situation arrises when discussing FTL. Einstein didn't like it because it seemed to break the law of cause and effect. Theoritically, if any thing could travel FTL, then the CAUSE could preceed the EFFECT! Now that is spooky action!!!!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

2inquisitive,
    Light is emitted from one train toward the other on coming train when separated by 3(1.75) x10<SUP>5</SUP>km. In the one second of light travel before reflection the emitting train is 3x10<SUP>5</SUP> km away. Closing at 1.75x3 x x10<SUP>5</SUP> km/s the light will arrive back at the emitting train in 1 + 3/1.75x3 seconds or, 1.571 seconds round trip time.
    Geistkiesel​

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. may_wentee Registered Senior Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Hans Solo and Chubaca exceeded the speed of light in their Millineum Falcon space ship in the first Star Wars film.

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Not true.
    Some people, ignorant of QM, have interpreted (falsely) that entangled particle effect imply this. In like manner other people, even more ignorant of physics, have done the same with fact the spot produced by powerful flashlight rapidly scanning across the surface of the moon moves FTL is also proof that FTL is possible.

9. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

In fact, while entanglement is still spooky and really fascinating, no information can be conveyed using it. In order to convey information, you first must "encode" some data into your source. Your source in the case of an entangled particle pair is the particle on your end of the "transmitter". The instant you disturb the particle, no matter how little, by trying to "encode" it into a known state, you collapse the indeterminate state of the other particle. All you ever know is the after-the-fact state of your no-longer entangled particle pair. Bummer.

10. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Nice. I could not have said it as well.

11. Anomalous Banned Banned

there is something possibly faster than light, the sub paticles of light that form the wave pattern in it.

click this image

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. may_wentee Registered Senior Member

Great.....Is there an equation that goes with it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Yeah, great. Sub particles of light. The present model for light explains all of the things he says it can't. But it is still one of the nicest, cleanest, and well done crank sites I've seen.

14. Anomalous Banned Banned

Oh thanks, I didnt knew that, so how do they explain the formation of waves or wavelike patterns of light?

Dont forget that even at max C there are ocilations of the waves so diagonaly that is faster than C itself. And if something is actually spinning so fast, one can only imagine how fast it must be.

15. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

Quantum Electrodynamics.

Wait. No. A photon (also any elementary particle of matter) has wave-like and particle-like properties. The only thing that anyone can say is "waving" is probability. It's not someting that is intuitively obvious and has no simple analogy to help visualize it. The nature of a photon is something that has no counterpart in our experience.

16. coffee_demon Registered Member

It would take an infinite amount of energy to make a physical object reach the speed of light. I suppose if one could generate more then an infinite amount of energy then they could go faster then the speed of light.

17. NACHMAN Registered Senior Member

HI.U SHULD AGREE THAT NATURE HAS MADE IT SO THAT LIGHT IS THE FASTEST ON EARTH. THUS IT'S POSIBLE TO EXCEED THE SPEED OF LIGHT ONLINE INA MIRACULOUS FIELD. NATURALLY THAT'S IMPOSIBLE.BECAUSE AN INFINITE ENERGY IS NEEDED,WHICH IS IMPOSIBLE.

18. NACHMAN Registered Senior Member

HI.U SHULD AGREE THAT NATURE HAS MADE IT SO THAT LIGHT IS THE FASTEST ON EARTH. THUS IT'S POSIBLE TO EXCEED THE SPEED OF LIGHT ONLINE INA MIRACULOUS FIELD. NATURALLY THAT'S IMPOSIBLE.BECAUSE AN INFINITE ENERGY IS NEEDED,WHICH IS IMPOSIBLE.ANYOTHER QUESTION?

19. NACHMAN Registered Senior Member

HAHA!I LIKE YOUR ANSWER BUT U SHULD UNDERSTAND THAT U'RE JUST COMING TOWARDS THESAME THING.THE PARTICLES OF LIGHT MAKE UP LIGHT ITSELF SO IT'S THESAMETHING.U CANNOT COMPARE AN OBJECT TO ITSELF OR THE PARTICLES OF AN OBJECT TO IT SELF.FOR WITHOUT THE PARTICLES IN LIGHT, THEN WAT IS LIGHT?
    ALSO IF U DISAGREE WITH THE FIRST OPTION TAKEIT THIS WAY.
    WE MEASURE THE SPEED OF LIGHT USING THE PARTICLES FOUND INIT.SO THE PARTICLES IN LIGHT HAVE THE SAME SPEED,FOR THESE PARTICLES THEMSELF MAKE UP LIGHT.
    ANYOTHER QUESTION?

20. Anomalous Banned Banned

So what does it explain anything about a light wave ?

21. Anomalous Banned Banned

Why not MR. ALL CAPS.

22. NACHMAN Registered Senior Member

HI ANO. I ACTUALY UNDERSTAND YOUR ANSWER AND ITS RIGHT.BUT FOR SOME ONE WHO HAS A STRICT CONTROVERSY, HOW CAN U COMPARE THE PARTICLES OF THE LIGHT TO ITSELF.WITHOUT THESE PARTICLES THEN WAT IS LIGHT MADE UP OF.
    BUT IF WE THINK DEEPLY YOUR ANSWER IS RIGHT. THE TINY PARTICLES IN LIGHT MAKE AN OSCILLATRY MOVEMENT AND TOGETHER FORM A BEAM.SO IF WE TAKE THEIR SPEED INDIVIDUALY IT WILL BE FASTER THAN THAT OF THE WHOLE BEAM ITSELF. BUT ASUME THE QUESTION THIS WAY.
    WAT IS FASTER THAN LIGHT EXCLUDING ANYTHING FOUND INIT.?

23. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

Can anything surpass the speed of light??? Yes the speed of time itself...though its not a particle or wave(sips a huge mug of coffee). However it is also entirely possble that the duration of my sleep after a hard days work these days is also faster.