Can anything surpass the speed of light???

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Popcorn8636, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

<b> Can anything surpass the speed of light??? </b>

I have been told that nothing surpasses the speed of light, but I believe it's possible. If light DOES have a speed, even though it's not matter, why can't we exeed it?

What is light anyway? Energy, or a by-product of it, (Like when we see flames in a fire, which is heat energy) Or something totally different.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Deja vu Registered Senior Member

"I have been told that nothing surpasses the speed of light, but I believe it's possible."

What makes you think it is possible?

"If light DOES have a speed, even though it's not matter, why can't we exeed it? "

For precisely the reason you stated. We can't exceed it with anything consisting of rest mass. Light doesn't have rest mass, and nothing with mass can travel at the speed of light. This is a well established law of SR.

"What is light anyway?"

Basically, it is the visible portion of the electromagnetic spectrum.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. divine sapience Registered Senior Member

duh

your body is light , light travels at 836,000 miles per second
    meditate use your merkaba then you can shift into other dimensions PEACE ONE

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Neutrino_Albatross Legion of Dynamic Discord Registered Senior Member

Not possible.

I think the reason is becase as something aproaches the speed of light its mass increases. At the speed of light its mass reaches infinity. It takes more than an infinite amout of energy to cause an object with infinite mass to accelerate.

Im pretty sure thats the reason but im not an expert and could easily be wrong.

8. ann Registered Member

rate slowdown

Hi Popcorn et.al.,

Some interesting recent work done in this area. Perhaps nothing may travel at the speed of light, but there is a hypothesis that it is slowing down. See:

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/07/tech/main517850.shtml
    and/or
    www.aca.mq.edu.au/lightspeed.html
    and/or
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/791205.asp?cp1=1
    (extract below)
    SYDNEY, Aug. 8 — Australian scientists have proposed that the speed of light may not be a constant, a revolutionary idea that could unseat one of the most cherished laws of modern physics — Einstein’s theory of relativity.

Hope this may shed some light

Last edited: Sep 4, 2002
  9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's not true that nothing can go faster than the speed of light. The rule is that no matter or information can go faster than the speed of light.

For example, point a pocket laser at one side of the moon. Then, turn your hand so that the beam sweeps across the moon's surface to the other side. If you calculate the rate at which the spot moved across the moon's surface you'll find out that it is faster than the speed of light. But notice that no material object moved across the moon when you did this.

10. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Space can

During the inflationary period of the universe space traveled MUCH faster then the speed of light.

A physist who's name escapse me theorised a 'warp drive' that in effect bent space into a bubble which would incase a craft, then by manipulating the geometry of the bubble it would propagte that space bubble at what ever speed you want. Because the craft is incased in a space bublle and inside that bubble it is not moving at all, laws of physics are not broken and it would certainly do the job... all we need now is a wa y to bend space to our needs

11. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Hawking's Black Holes and Baby Universes discusses the possibility of particles moving at faster-than-light velocities and escaping the event horizons of singularities. He has some pretty neat ideas, most of which are summarized in this book.

12. Popcorn8636 Registered Senior Member

Thanks for the links, ann. As for both Rambler and Walker, I'm almost sure that what you said were theories, but they could be very well possible.

13. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think I heard somewhere that due to extreme cold light would actually slow down, but only slightly. At the moment you really have to have faith in the fact that matter can go faster than light, because there's no evidence to back this claim up. Me, personally, I hope that objects can move significantly faster than light, hundreds or even thousands of times faster, otherwise space travel on a massive scale is really inconcievable.

14. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Oh, yeah. Theories for sure. Maybe even just conjecture...but still fairly interesting.

15. BatM Member At Large Registered Senior Member

Re: Space can

Does that mean that (some of) the stars that the Hubble Space Telescope is seeing in its deep field view are actually us before we got here? :bugeye:

How come they aren't all streaky and blurry like on Star Trek when the Enterprise is at warp speed? :bugeye:

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I actually think to remember that universe stopped expanding faster than the speed of light long before even the first stars were formed.

How long exactly this expansion could have been- I hope some of our sciforums physicists will tell

I estimate it for some 20min maybe

- just my oppinion based on ZERO observation

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

If light has mass (it's not 100% clear now) then in theory it should require it infinite ammount of energy to travel at the speed of light- but we clearly see that it has not infinite mass. Then why do some say that light HAS mass?

also:

If at the begining of our universe it expaded FTL , then it must be that the laws of physics and mathematics were established before the big bang (it is said they can't, if it was singularity from which our universe began*) or in the very first nano seconds of it, because laws of physics are information and if information can not go faster than the speed of light then they must vary in different portions of our universe, but it seems that they don't / or do?:bugeye:

*I know that our universe is expanding and think that maybe also deexpanding (sp lol) and that , when it comes to its smallest size it is small, but not singularity, thus the laws of physics etc have existed always - I'd still like to know what resulted in the big splash of energy that made our universe at it's beggining go FTL.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2002
  18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

<i>why do some say that light HAS mass?</i>

Because they don't understand the relevant physics.

19. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

*Avatar looks into a mirror and tries to find out, if he knows smthing about relevant physics

20. essexman Registered Member

I don't think anything with mass has exceeded the speed of light.
    It is not a barrier in the same sense as the sound barrier is. The sound barrier was known to be breakable. We are all travelling much faster at this moment round the sun.
    I may be wrong but iv'e read it's like this.
    The speed of light and time/ distance are all connected.
    It could be said that we experience time because we are not travelling at the speed of light.
    The amount of energy required to exceed this speed is infinate so I believe nothing will go faster. Don't lose faith though.
    Interstellar travel will happen one day, it will happen much slower though, groups of people may set out to find better shores as we have in the past. But communication between earth and these groups will, over time be impossible due to the time it takes for messages to arrive.
    There is a good side to this. The Evil galactic empires of fiction will be impossible, you could not control a space that information takes lifetimes to cross.
    You could travel to any where in the universe without freezing or hibernation.
    Picture this you are on a mission to the andromeda galaxy, about 250 million light years away.
    An observer on earth will guess that if you reached the speed of light it will take you 250 million years to cover this distance and you will arrive on time in 250 million years.
    But the time elapsed for you will be only a few years, at the speed of light there is no such thing as time the closer you get to it the slower time goes until it stops.
    Photons created at the beginning of the universe are now no older than when they were created but they have travelled across the universe.
    Interstellar travel will be possible but the price (in a sense you will live forever) is that there is no going back. All your loved ones will have to come along if you are going to have any thing like a normal life.

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

or if we find out how to bend space ie hyperdrives

22. essexman Registered Member

It may be possible to bend space I'd imagine that the energy required is collossal, like big bang types of energy. We cant rule it out though, there is a school of though that believes the giant gamma bursts may be the exhaust trails left by the warping of space caused by some long dead intersteller race.
    I look at it from the other way if a warp drive were possible some other alien race would have found it and we would have been born into to vast interstellar empire ruled from lightyears away.
    Unless of course we are the first, scary as it sounds but someone has to be.

23. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

we may be the first and may also be the only remaining after a collosal galactic war

I remember reading in one of the books by E. Hamilton (Star Kings or smthing simmilar) about a super weapon held by the Empire (largest "country" in the galaxy) that was able to destroy time and space.

it got sucked away somewhere else, maybe into another universe