Can anyone confirm an amusing story?

Discussion in 'History' started by Oxygen, Sep 5, 2004.

1. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I had a book called the "Big Little Book of One Liners". Great bathroom reading. I was surprised to find Ghandi listed in the index.This exchange was listed in the book, and I was wondering if anyone can confirm Ghandi's one-liner:

REPORTER: What do you think of Western civilization?
    GHANDI: I think it would be a good idea.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I googled for a few minutes on it (spelling "Gandhi" correctly helps- I've made this mistake myself often). Although the quote is a popular one, I haven't found a reference to the name of the reporter, or the occasion at which the question was asked. A quick search reminded me of how very much there is available to learn about Gandhi online. I particularly like the Mahatma Gandhi
    Research and Media Service
    . In addition to his wit, Gandhi's tremendous intelligence, insight, compassion, and courage are inspiring to review.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Two words I always misspell, weird and Gandhi. Maybe that's why I usually substitute "odd" and "funky little Indian dude".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

jk Thanks for looking. I'll check out that site. I never saw the movie they made about him, but then, how accurate would Hollywood be? "Arnold Schwarznegger is GHANDI...uh, er,...GANDHI"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

"weird"

i before e except after c... except exceptions, man i hate the english language

and if gandhi did say that, ive lost alot of my respect for him cos of it

8. Insanely Elite Questions reality. Registered Senior Member

Hey Oxygen,

Ben Kingsley played Gandhi in an excellent movie that swept through the highlights of his known life. I would give it at least thumbs up, more likely 5 stars. Ben won something or another for his amazing portrayal. I remember seeing a 'making of' piece and thay showed the natives calling him 'gandhiji' he owned the role. Turns out his father was born in the same area a Gahndhi.

9. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Thanks, Insane. I'll be checking to see if Netflix has it (it's one from the 80's I think, right?).

Alain- We had a lot of immigrant Vietnamese and Cambodian students when I was in school and they had the hardest time with English spelling because of advertisements and commercial names; Buy-Rite Motors, Toys R Us, "Labor Day Sale-Abration!", "Tonite Only!", Cheez-Wiz, etc. It was a miracle that none of them gave up trying! (Never mind the fact that some words seem to follow no set rules, such as tough, cough, plough, and dough.)

Even if Gandhi did say that line, I'm pretty sure he wasn't serious. Just a good-natured poke in the ribs from my POV, but I admit to being a bit of an optimist at times. I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt. But now you've got me thinking, it seems to me I've heard a similar story somewhere involving someone else. I just can't put my finger on who.

10. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

yeah, i mean, hes still a cool guy cos of all the pacifism stuff, but that one line, if true annoys me.

lol, poor immigrants. isnt there some thing where u can spell fish without using any of the right letters in the right places (i think it starts with gh)

11. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

12. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I've heard that quote before, and always assumed it was a joke. A subtle and clever one at that. Don't get me wrong, I'm as jingoistic as they come, but I can certainly appreciate a good one liner. If anything, it raises my respect for him. I don't agree with his point, but you've got to admit, that was quite a zinger.

13. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Alain- Ah, yes, the alternate spelling of "fish" is "ghoti". GH as in "laugh", O as in "women", and TI as in "motion". I first saw it back in the 70's on an old show called "That's Incredible". (Of course, I was just a wee one back then and don't recall who was on it. Fran Tarkenton, for sure, but wasn't John Davidson one of the others, and some chick? Cathy Lee Crosby, I think. Eh, I'm showing my age...)

14. maxzuk Registered Senior Member

15. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

thank you oxygen