Can animals reach enlightenment?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Why?, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Yorda Registered Senior Member

what's the point of enlightenment when you will become un-enlightened later anyway??

there is no point.... the point is the pointless eternal journey between goals..

i wish there was a real goal... that is forever, when you have reached it. an eternal nonexistence.

nonexistence is reality, so what's bad about dreaming this life? it's just illusion anyway... no, it's not.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

real goal = finding an end = an end = nonexistence

illusions are sweet=better than noexistence

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. draqon Banned Banned

would you rather have no apples and die of starvation?
    or would you rather eat a holographic projection of an apple that tastes like an apple and is as good?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Not at all man!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Gautam Buddha was saying that anger is only damaging to the person that is in anger, and to nobody else. So in other words, if you understand it right, it is stupid to be angry at someone when just by the fact of being angry you are hurting yourself, and not the person responsable for your anger.

J. Krishnamurti used to say something, and Osho corroborated it plenty of times, and it is that through analysing you will only get lost. You cannot analyse your brain because it is beyond that, what it needs to be done is to be the observer of it, the watcher; this is the meaning of being aware. Being in the present moment wholeheartedly.
    Our mind is like a mirror that reflects thoughts, and never changes because of the thoughts, it just continues reflecting. The thing is, if you analyse it, it is like breaking the mirror in a thousand peaces, and you will have a thousand problems instead of just one. By observing you watch the whole mirror without being identified with it.
    Observing, being the watcher is the true meaning of meditation; and the best teacher for meditation is the person who provokes your anger.

8. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

The difference between "animal enlightment" and "human enlightment" is that animals are "unconsciently enlightened". The current state of humans is "unconsciently un-enlightened", and we can reach a state of "conscient enlightment", animals cannot.

9. draqon Banned Banned

you meant to say current state of humans is "consciently un-enlightened" right?

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When they hit the "Bug Zapper" outside my house they really get "Enlightned"!

11. draqon Banned Banned

so to you death=reaching enlightment ?

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When they started "Glowing" just before they died....that was very "Enlightning"!

13. draqon Banned Banned

oh so to you:

change of body before and during death=suffering indured by organisms=enlightment ?

I am a nutshell...crack me or not...there is nutshell inside yet another nutshell...(and yes I understand your sarcasm...I am just being a meanie)

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

No, only if they are "Glowing".

15. draqon Banned Banned

so natural phenomena occuring from death=enlightment?

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

17. river-wind Valued Senior Member

???? No, he's saying that when you hold onto anger you:

1) usually do it with the intention of getting even with someone else.
    2) burn yourself in the process.

that's more like it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  18. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Just because the Buddha is supposed to have said something or did say something does not make me assume it is right. Of course, in this case, I was not talking about holding on to anger at all.

Actually a lot of people have been trained to deny their anger, to suppress it, to analyze the logic of it, to separate it out from the body, to disidentify with it, to detach from it - which is what you are suggesting - and in direct or indirect ways judge it.

19. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Well, there are more quotes from all the Buddhas about anger and hate, many many more.

I specifically said not to suppress it, because it will become a far worst problem. And I specifically said not to analyse it, not to use logic; were are you getting this stuff from?

Nope, if you judge it, the whole point is missed. I´m just saying observe it, don´t identify with it.

20. peta9 Registered Senior Member

What? Animals aren't conscious but 'enlightened'? LOL. Of course animals are conscious, not to the extent that we are and of course they can reason. And even that can be argued against in certain ways such as many animals can sense things and have an awareness of things we can't detect as well. Geezus. They just don't reason to the extend that we do especially abstractly.

21. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

And these quotes may or may not be right, may or may not apply to all people, may be matters of taste or choice, may be limited truths, may be culturally or historically limited truths and so on.

I was responding to this idea that we are 'trained to feed our anger' and I can think of ways this is true, but I think we are also trained to starve our anger - and to our detriment. What I mean by this last point is that we are trained to let others walk on us, to turn the other cheek when it is not appropriate, to explain away abusive actions by others and so on. I realize you said not to suppress anger or analyze it, but nevetheless you also made a general statement about us being taught to feed anger and I think this misses the experience of a lot of people.

There are judgements that anger is bad in this choice of 'disidentifying'. And even if the 'teachers' of this disidenfication don't or know that one 'shouldn't' judge anger as bad, they seem perfectly happy to watch their followers do this in their acts of disidentification. This leads me to believe that the teachers are either naive about psychology or have the same judgements of anger themselves.

22. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

I agree. Animals are very conscious. Cats are quite aware when they are being looked at. They can pick up epileptic fits that are approaching in their owners and warn their owners to lie down. Dogs feel guilty and try to get back in their owners good graces. And so on.

23. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

If humans can reach enlightenment or a state of perpetual peace, and we're one of the most brutal species out there, I see no reason any and all other beings, not just animals, can as well.

From my view, all matter is entwined with some essence of a universal quintessence or energy force; so long as that matter is in a form which has the consciousness and sentience to utilise that essence, I don't see why anything else could not peruse those forces to reach a state of enlightenment and perpetual inner peace.