Can a laptop not to play CDs?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Syzygys, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I tried to play an original music CD in the Acer laptop using Vista and although it has a DVD player and it works it looks like it doesn't recognize the music CD.

Now maybe stupid question but wouldn't the average laptop user more likely to use a CD than a DVD? So was this laptop actually designed not to be able to play CDs??

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. John99 Banned Banned

how old is the cd?

have you tried others?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

lol that sounds like a DRM issue.

Fuck DRM

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Probably. You might have to resort to something like ripping the tracks to your hard drive to bypass the copy protection that is likely causing this problem.

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

CD is brand new, the old desktop is playing it and I was able to copy it to the desktop, using XP.
    Now I don't remember using the laptop for playing CDs, and yes, it might be a DRM issue, when I think about it...

So if it is a DRM issue, the laptop thinks that this was a copied CD? When I copied it using the desktop computer the name of the songs doesn't show, so maybe that is the reason. This is something new with the Music Player...

9. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

No, the copy protection is trying to prevent you from making copies. Not allowing it to play at all is an unintended consequence.

The one time I had to tangle with a DRM music CD, it fouled up the copy process, resulting in incomplete, unplayable CDs (it would near completion, but one file would not copy). I then used CDex to rip the music tracks to .wav files on the hard drive, and then used the "make music CD" option, and copied them back to a CD. The resulting CD would play on anything.

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Yes, that's what I thought. I don't really want to use the laptop for this purpose, anyway, I just wanted to check out the new CD. But nice to know about the problem...

11. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Some disc drives just don't like certain discs. It could be the DRM scheme as people already suggested, or it could just be a slight imperfection in manufacturing. I have a disc that plays in my computer, but won't play in the CD player in my stereo. Making a fresh copy by ripping the tracks from a different computer, and then burning them onto a disc, would almost certainly fix it.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Does the CD you are trying to play have Computer Data on it. Some CD's create now adays can include links to webpages if put in a computer or some sort of on-disc interface. It can be enough to throw players out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.