Can a computer emulate a human mind

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by dtroitdiesel, Apr 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frencheneesz Amazing Member Registered Senior Member

damn souls. Thats the only idea that I can't attribute to science. Why are we conscious? Why aren't our particles just working in mechanism to produce what is here? Why can I see and live my life? It doesn't make sense, souls don't make sense. Do you believe animals are conscious like we are? at some level creatures cannot be conscoius, a rock for example. So animals might have consciousness, but I'm only sure humans have consciousness, because humans are like me, and I know I'm conscious..

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. kaduseus melencolia I Registered Senior Member

I can see in infrared,UV, radio wavelengths, I can hear in sub bass and ultra sound, there's millimetric waves for seeing through clothing and I can tell what voltage is going through a piece of wire, and all this is because humans have hands.

Alot of people forget that a brain has a body. Take 1 baby, extract it's brain with eye's attatched, splay out it's touch sensors into a square and put it in a room for the rest of it's life.
    It sounds sick to me as well but thats what some of you are trying to do with A.I.
    It needs a body connected to the brain, you can only design a brain when you know what the body will look like and what sense it will have.
    We are not designing a replacement for humans we are attempting to design something that resembles a human, it won't be human as we know the term human.

Anyone up for designing F.R.E.D the electronic ape. I got some basic drawings.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river-wind Valued Senior Member

you think that's mind boggling question now, add this occurance in there-
    drat, looks like the article has been removed from new scientist. About a year or so ago, they reported on a microchip that was designed to evolve over time to produce a design that would create a designed effect. For one experiment, the chip was given the task of generating an ocilating frequency. which it did. Thing was, when the scientists went to look at what the final design the chip had come up with, they found something completely different than they were expecting.

THe chip had developed a radio antenna of sorts, and was picking up the EM radiation from a server in the next room. it was then broadcasting this signal as it's oscilating wave. Given that the scientists had not provided the chip with any specific method to pick up external radio signals, how in the hell did it notice the EM waves enough to evolve a method for picking up and broadcasting those waves????

here it is, I found it:
    http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992732

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kami Registered Senior Member

If we did create a computer to emulate the human mind, would it be as confused and crazy as we are? Would the massive amounts of parallel computing lead to the same "fuzzy" thinking that we all possess? I assume everyone here has read "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Hofstadter? I hope I spelled the name correctly.

8. Frencheneesz Amazing Member Registered Senior Member

Wind-river :

I think that oscilating circuit was just an accidental radio reciever. The EM transmition in the other room is picked up by any metal surface in rance, so the circuit picked up the transmition just like any chair or fork would. However since the circuit is a circuit, it was altered by the EM and gave a different output. Thats what it looks like to me.

9. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Oh, I expect there will be many different types of mind that emerge out of AI research-
    there could be emulations of the human mind, running at human speed, or faster than human speed, with the fuzzy thinking that allows us to make wild-assed guesses and to create art;
    the minds could be similar to humans, but with the fuzzyness and poor memory capacity improved or capable of focus;
    there could be minds tens, hundred, millions of times as complex as human minds;
    artificial minds developed from insect templates, mice, dogs, chimps, autistic humans, geniuses;
    developed by programming from the top down, or emerging from the bottom up;
    developed from automatic feedback systems and internet search engines.
    Minds that are enslaved to their programming andminds that are free to enslave.
    The possibilities are endless...
    we have begun to explore some of these possibilities in our imagineered scenario
    Orion's Arm, but there are bound to be many more possibilities...
    including the (frankly remote) possibility that AI is not possible at all.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  10. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Computer emulate human mind? Why not? I think it will require many though:
    -patience-> on making every single response possible when the computer is given certain action.
    -hadware-> too many to store= TBs
    Else? I haven't found out for sure....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.