Calling all keyboard protestors, ranter and ravers

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Gustav Banned Banned

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

Occupy SF - Terror Plot Foiled - Oct 27

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The protest also got some heavy-hitting political support as San Francisco Supervisors David Chiu and John Avalos, Jane Kim, Eric Mar and David Campos, San Francisco Public Defender Jeff Adachi and State Senator Leland Yee came down to the plaza Wednesday night, although the official policy from City Hall was that they were all subject to arrest if they stayed overnight. Yee was in contact with San Francisco police during the early morning hours Thursday and tweeted to his followers that the police were not coming.

"What we saw in Oakland last night is not what we want to happen in San Francisco," said Board president David Chiu, who was one of five supervisors there to support the Occupy movement. "We will do anything we can to avoid a confrontation between the Occupy San Francisco protesters and the San Francisco Police Department."​

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Yeah - the guys doing Occupy the Octagon here in Dunedin have been doing workshops on Passive Resistance.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

8. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

9. Gustav Banned Banned

Occupy Chicago - Armed Cleanup Crews - Oct 16

Early Sunday morning, police arrested between 150-200 (approx.) people for occupying part of grant park. About 40 tents were pitched around 9 pm and the police surrounded the park soon after. The arrests were handled very orderly and ALL of the protesters were non-violent. Each individual was told they were free to leave at anytime, but most of them opted to be arrested. ​

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

That's refreshing to hear.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

Occupy Chicago - Begging for Permits - Oct 27

Following two failed attempts to stay overnight at Grant Park, Occupy Chicago announced that representatives of the group are meeting with city officials today to discuss where the protesters can set up permanently.

The protesters hold daily demonstrations at Jackson Boulevard and LaSalle Street downtown, near the Chicago Board of Trade. In recent weekends, thousands marched on Grant, trying to claim the park as the group’s new home base. But in two separate sweeps, police arrested around 300 people for violating the city code that closes public parks at 11 p.m.​

12. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So why are they arresting these people? Is it against the law to assemble in the US now?

It is??

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Occupation of Public Land can become a trespass issue (among other things).

That people participating in a non-violent demonstration didn't resort to violent acts? Sure.
    That the police dispersed it without injuring anybody? Absolutely.
    That the police stepped in to disperse it in the first place? That's a matter of perspective.

14. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So when the public wants to demonstrate against policy, they should do so on what? Private property? All demonstrations against public or private institutions occur on public property

Except that in the US, they have a constitutional right to bear arms and form militias just in case they want to rebel against the government.

The police prevented the public from demonstrating on public property. It doesn't matter what method they used - they are still wrong. When they do it in Yemen or Egypt or Saudi Arabia its called repression.

What they need of course, is for some foreign government to send drones to take out their repressive leaders.

Libyan Government Warns NYPD to Exercise Restraint
    Urges NATO Action to Protect American Dissidents

See previous

15. Gustav Banned Banned

do tell, herr trippy

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No, because protests do not neccessitate semipermanent occupation of public parks, and most cities have bylaws against camping in parks.

Actually, my understanding is that this is the reason why the states are only allowed to keep a militia, and not a military, because it meant that the central government could control the states. They sought to prevent a rebellion by preventing the states from holding trained armies, and limiting them to untrained militia.

They exercised a trespass order, filed by city hall. Perhaps Occupy Oakland, and Occupy Chicago should have taken note that Occupy Wall Street is actually on private property, and the police are unable to take action against those protestors until such time as the owner of the land lays a complaint with them.

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Drop the attitude, it's unflattering, I've been polite and reasonable (and I don't recall having stated I supported the move).

18. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'm still against the cops exercising the law against the public when they protest the government. The laws are in place to aid the public and not to be used as a tool to suppress them.

I'm also wondering if there has been any impact of the OWS movement. Its over a month now and what has been the result?

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I know that Occupy Dunedin were offered an alternative venue for their protest, but declined it, and are currently in the process of negotiating a solution with the DCC.

In some respects, I agree with your sentiment, but on the other hand, if they're breaking the law to make a point, they're still breaking the law. You can protest without breaking the law, and that's the real test as to whether or not the system is oppresive.

I'll see if I can dig it out again, I don't recall if I emailed it to myself or not, but apparently there's some internal tension building. For example, I get the impression that the original occupiers had some sort of an agreement with the owners of the park they're in, at least in regards to the noise they make there, but some of the new comers are ignoring that agreement, and making (excessive) noise outside the agreed hours. There have been menu changes because homeless people and freeloaders have been taking advantage of the free food. Although, I have to admit to finding a certain sense of iront in that - here they are, protesting against (in essence) class warfare (among other things), and they're turning out homelss people who are at the bottom of the 99% they claim to be representing.

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Found it:

Source

Don't remember where I came across that.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So nothing has changed then? Bizarre.

22. Gustav Banned Banned

so ahh trippy, hypothetically speaking and whatnot.... in city xyz, public spaces are open from noon to 6 pm. in city abc, public spaces are open from 10am to 12pm. in city klm, 24/7

your freedom of assembly...."'the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances'" " is only good within those respective windows

/snicker

Who made the laws?" inquired Dorothy

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Nope, not what I said.