Calling All Asians and Europeans

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by AmishRakeFight, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I've been on but I've come back here on a mission, if you will.

To be honest, I'm feeling uncultured. Unrefined. Unworldly.

Therefore, to remedy this I've decided I want to begin interacting with people from Europe and Asia on a much higher frequency than before.

Americans are cool and everything, but since we all reside in the same social conditioning and social myth atmosphere, it begins to take a toll on your sense of reality.

So please -- this is a completely no-frills, no-strings attached request to all Asians and Europeans for some online social interaction.

Cheesy? Yeah.

But I would really appreciate it.

So shoot me a PM and that'll be that.

Thanks!

AmishRakeFight

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

Hi, im Australian which technically makes me a member of neither of the two groups you seem interested in but could be said to be a combination of both.
    Anyway i can't send PMs yet seeing as how i just joined these forums but anyway; Hello.
    As a side note: please do not use the phrase "down under" in any response you may send, that stopped being funny years ago, if it ever was.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Are you serious? Aussies no longer refer to their country as "The Land Down Under"???

It's a little late. The whole world learned that song!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

As far i was aware, we (as in everyone other than whoever wrote that song) never did in the first place.
    Especially since 'down' implies that if you dig for long enough you'll get there, a rather ridiculous notion about which i'm sure you'll agree.

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The song "I come from the land Downunder" was actually written by a Scotsman - Colin Hayes.

9. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Wow. It's hot down under.

What would you like to know ?.. btw, handy hint about food-Don't eat curry before a long flight.

10. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

I didn't know that, you learn something obscure every day.

I wholeheartedly agree.

ill keep that in mind.....:bugeye:

11. Myles Registered Senior Member

Given enough men with enough shovels and enough time......

12. EntropyAlwaysWins TANSTAAFL. Registered Senior Member

At the risk of posting SPAM.

Nice, very nice. :bravo:

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

AmishRakeFight,

Get a backpack, go to Europe, hostel it for a few months, talk to people.

Even cheaper but a little more dirty is to back pack India and the southern asia states, got a uncle that did that, said he could live a dollar a day or less. You want culture?, you'll come back speaking Hindi!

14. AmishRakeFight Remember, remember. Registered Senior Member

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses!

I'm absolutely planning a trip to Europe. It won't be for another several months, but it will definitely happen.

To everyone else -- I honestly don't have an outcome for trying to find you guys.

I just feel a little bit too "Americanized," if you know what I mean, so I've decided to start chatting up people from different areas of the world.

So let's just throw some questions out there:

-What do you think about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan?
    -What do you think is your country's greatest asset?
    -If you emigrated from your country to another country, what would be the aspects of your culture that you would seek to carry with you?

Haha I'm sure that will foster some lovely chats.

Thanks again!

15. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Colin HAY. He's got a solo CD out and he'll be here (Washington DC) on tour in a couple of weeks. He was 14 when his family emigrated in 1967 so I think he has a right to call himself an Aussie now.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Angus Young (AC/DC's mooning metalhead guitarist) was even younger (eight) when his family moved to Australia from Scotland in 1963.

16. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Some tips on becomeing more cultured
    - CouchSurfing is the cheapest way to live when traveling, you also get to meet the locals and get a more authentic experience.
    - Don't start thinking one country is better then another, every nation has its own pros and cons, get use to the fact that you are use to your nations cons but are not use to other nations cons (or their pros).
    - When ever your living in someones home NEVER COMPLAIN about the living conditions, NEVER.
    - Morality is relative to nations: get use to respecting others despite how weird/wrong you think what they are doing is.
    - Don't starting announce your american, let them ask, don't show your passport to anyone but authority (I used my grandfathered rule acquired Italian passport despite the fact I don't speak Italian and have only been to the country once, just so I don't have to get shit for Bush).
    - Avoid Nigerians: they scam tourist like weasels kill chickens, they will be all over the tourist traps of France and England (except for the Eiffel Tower because of the high security their) they will try to block your way and force you to buy something craping for extremely expensive prices, don't make eye contact, don't speak to them, walk/jump/run around them and walk away fast.
    - be wary of eat the soup when in the polish country, those might not be normal mushrooms!
    - If your going to try something in Amsterdam, try it with friends who are remaining lucid or lock your self in a room, not necessarily pot, but for 'shrooms and hashish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.