Calendars

Discussion in 'History' started by Oxygen, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I'm so used to a seven day week. Who decided that the week should be seven days, why, and have there been other "weeks" in other cultures? I suppose this could break down into the question "What other calendars have been used by other cultures besides the one we're so used to now?"

We break it down into Year/Month/Day with the months being broken into approximately four weeks. What other systems have there been?

(I figured this should be a history question because I think most other calendars are rarely used any more.)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Since the 30 day Lunar Calendar was the typical day-to-day calendar of the ancients, you would've expected that they would have used 5 weeks of 6 days each per month, or 6 weeks of 5 days each.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: The Lunar Calendar has a 28-day month and a 13-month year.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

That's one of the oddities of the legal world is that a legal month is 30 days. A legal week is 7 days. They don't relate weeks to months because that would only equal 28 days, 2 short of the legal month.

8. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Hey Med Woman, why did the ancients use 7 days when that's 2 days short of 30 days after having been multiplied by 4?