Calculus AP test

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by theonlyguyever, May 8, 2003.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Good job! If you go to the Collegeboard's website, you can look at the distribution of AB scores. ABout 18.1% made a 5. In my class of 16, 13 made a 5... which is incredible.

I think about 15% made a 1.... so you have to think, for every one exceptional person in the world, there is one person who has no idea what is going on

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Ender Registered Senior Member

I took the c++ AP test back in May and i got my score today...

It was only a 4, but that is pretty good concidering that it is the hardedst test baised on the pass fail rate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

Should I Fear AP Exams?

Um... I'm still in Jr. High. I'm in this midwest talent search thing that students can take SAT's and ACT's through. For some reason, I haven't gotten my score back...

I thought that those tests were pretty hard, how bad are the AP tests? Should I start preparing NOW?

mehmeh...

-niv

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Re: Should I Fear AP Exams?

Well, you should not have to prepare for them unless you do not take an AP class. Like, my school did not have an AP Physics class when I was there. I could have still have taken the AP Physics test. If you have the class, you do not need to prepare for the test other than just show up everyday and do your work.

Well, that is how the SAT is supposed to work (in theory).

8. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

Thanks For the Info

*Breathes sigh of relief and returns to her book*

9. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

What book?

I hope I did not imply the AP tests are hard. If you do not take an AP class, you are not required to take an AP test for college.

10. Suicidal Registered Member

i got my scores yesterday. i agree that a 6 would be nice it is way to easy to get a 5

11. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

One Question

Would the fact that I'm in Algebra while most other students are still just starting pre-algebra mean I'm going to be in AP classes? I'm also in gifted science and this JGB thing for English.

Am I desined for this fate?

-niv

p.s
    oh, i was rereading LOTR
    I have CCOS
    (carefully chosen obsession
    syndrome)

12. string theorist Registered Member

Havent got mine yet

13. elias Registered Member

got a 5 on the AB test.

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Re: One Question

At your current standing, most students would take AP classes. These classes are great for obtaining college credit while in high school.

Me, I had to work my way to AP calculus. In 9th grade I found out my school had an AP calculus class. I was not sure exactly what it was, but all I knew was that the "elite" students were in AP calc. I was taking algebra in 9th grade while everyone else that was going to take AP calc was in geometry. It is the classic story (fafnir knows)... high test grades, low class grades. Therefore, I was behind everyone. I doubled-up and took algebra II and honors geomtry in my sophomore year. Trig in my junior year... AP calc my senior year. I decided to actually do my homework in AP calc.... so I got a 99%

In my trig class, my test average was 98 and my homework average was 65... Homework does not mean anything about knowledge.. just if you do your work.

Enough about me....
    I say, go for it. Most schools will allow you to drop an AP class after one semster (two quaters or whatever). You cannot take them until your junior and senior year.

15. tempusme Registered Senior Member

i got a 5 on the AB.

also got a 5 on the physics, macroeconomics, and computer science exams

only got a 4 on english lit and microeconomics

16. string theorist Registered Member

what the hell are you are sad about? 4's are good enough for any college.

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Fuck... if I made a 4 I would kill myself.

18. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

Um... pressure yourself much?

From what I've gathered, 5 is obviously what you strive for on these AP tests. So, like, a 4 is, what? A B-? That's okay. I mean, I'd be dissapointed, but not THAT upset.

Course, if I listened to my parents, I would probably kill myself, too.

"A B?! Are you feeling, all right, Katie? Remember, straight A's. Make us proud, if these grades continue it won't be as easy as you think to make the National Honor Society."

Niether of them were on it, why should I HAVE to be on it?

-niv

19. elias Registered Member

Re: Um... pressure yourself much?

AP grades don't correlate to class grades (I got a 4 on the US history test, but an A in the class).

Btw, NHS is the easiest thing to get into, so don't worry about that.

20. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Well NHS is the easiest to get into if you do your homework.. unlike me... so people assume I am not smart because I was not in there... NHS means nothing. I know people that are in there that have not one bit of intelligence, but a great work ethic.

21. tempusme Registered Senior Member

i know

. it was a joke. im proud of a 4 in eng. lit and microeconomics. i get to skip freshmen english and first semester of economics @ VT.

22. string theorist Registered Member

Finally received my ap report. Im a bit disappointed: 2 calculus

(oh well, retake), 3 physics, 2 macroecon

, 3 english lit., 4 Govt. Likewise, i'll be taking debate instead of freshmen composition this fall. I received 5's on AP US history and European history from previous ap tests, so i practically fulfilled the social science requirements (except maybe econ).

Quite intriguing that the majority of you find calculus to be easy. for some unexplained reason, the concept doesn't come easy to me. oh well, i'll have to retake it.

tim

23. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

aww...

ohhh... poor string theorist...

look at it this way: how many people even get to take the exams? (wait, what am i talking about? i don't know! i'm a stupid 14 year old!)

-niv