bye

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by The Devil Inside, Jun 16, 2007.

1. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Pff. Nah.
    No, not in my view.
    Well: that's a clear breach of the forum rules. Personal attack. Addressing the person, not the posts. Etc. Off-duty moderators should be allowed to breach the forum rules, you say? Interesting...
    Lots. It confuses us simpletons and leaves the administration open to accusations of double standards. Surely you can see this?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Basically, here's the thing.

As I've said in a few posts recently (and not so recently, actually), the 'problem' with the forums is something that can't be solved from an authoritative stance.
    It can't be moderated away.

I am not a 'leader' of this forum because I'm a moderator. I'm a janitor. That's how I view my job. I clean up detritus occasionally. I don't tell you how to post and/or what to post.

I can, however, as a user make interesting posts and respond to interesting posts. But, this is me being a user, not a moderator.

This idea that mods should held to some 'higher standard' (a vague and undefined notion at best) pushes forth the idea that we should somehow lead by example. That mods are the centers of the forum existence. That we are more than the janitors. That we are the lords of the forum.

That's putting the cart before the horse, my man.

Whatever I do as a user should be held to the exact same standards as every other user.

Christ, man. You people make too much of being a mod. It's just custodial service. Clean up in aisle three.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I don't particularly care for that rule. Never have. What I do believe is that insults should be witty and intelligent.
    Calling someone a cunt is a lazy and stupid insult.
    Character deconstruction is far more intelligent and interesting.
    And, by the way, is a sciforums tradition.

Now.
    Do I expect to get my posts edited and or deleted because of this from time to time? Yes. And, guess what? It happens.
    Oooh.
    Anything I post as a user should be subject to the exact same moderation as every other user.

And, here at sciforums, this entails a certain degree of leniency. That is, we can, upon occasion, get away with calling an idiot an idiot. Especially if we do so in a witty and topical manner.
    I would say that I am subject now to the same moderation as I was subject to before I was made a mod.

Q is not alone in his stalking. The entire religion forum is based on stalking christians. Why should Q be singled out for this behavior? Because he's a mod and held to a higher standard?

Now, if you had said that Q had moderated unfairly against a woo woo in his forum, then you'd have a point.

If you said that Q had broken some rule and been allowed to get away with it where others are not, then you'd have a point.

However, Q is simply following the pattern of behavior laid down in the religion subforum years and years ago. It's certainly nothing new. It's not banworthy. And, as long as it doesn't interfere with his moderation, then it shouldn't be considered as part of his moderation.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. leopold Valued Senior Member

in that case it's an off topic post isn't it?

is that all this thread means to you people? a god damned joke?

8. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

I believe some joking is allowed amidst the seriousness, non?

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Well, the problem is that everybody wants to get in their 'some joking' and threads end up being nothing but joking around.

Now, with some threads that's ok. And, frankly, this thread is a bit... on the edge of serious (goodbye threads, as I've stated, are funny). But, on the whole this has become a huge problem in general.

That's why I recommended that if you must say something funny, then say something on topic as well. Try to leaven the humour, si?

10. leopold Valued Senior Member

this is basically my point of "a higher standard".
    poster in general can break rules once or twice, maybe even 4 or 5 times, without too much drama.
    but a mod? a mod should be held accountable for what they do.
    and let's state for the record that there is a difference between (Q), (or any mod) the mod, and (Q) the poster.
    (sorry (Q), i had to pick on somebody.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

)

also, any action taken by a mod in a post should be flagged as mod action.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Then we end up with the ludicrous situation where mods feel the need to post with sock puppets so as to post like a regular person rather than some beacon of sanctity in a world gone wrong.

Mods are janitors not role models.

Oh. Wait. You are taking note of the difference between mod role and user role. So, you're saying that mod should be held accountable for their actions as a mod?
    Aren't they?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  12. leopold Valued Senior Member

how so?
    if (Q) want to tell some woo-woo a thing or two then why does he need a sock puppet to do it?

it isn't like he preceded his post with "moderator action" or "moderator note" or somesuch.

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I belatedly realized you admitted that distinction.
    Sorry.

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

No problem, carry on.

15. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Thats how I feel about swearing online in general. If you need to swear to express yourself, you problably have nothing to express.

Same goes for music lyrics.

16. Satyr Banned Banned

Aaaaah…the memories.
    I still feel the wounds throbbing on rainy days.

I never knew there were so many loyal fans. Well one anyways...

Santorini was wonderful.

By the way that slithering, piece of dung with the charisma of a sloth on pot, used to call itself Mephura and ….and….and Romani – the last one was my favorite since it was through him that I was introduced to the backstage happenings of her Highness’s Royal court…Jester and all.

I still imagine her skirting across a hole in the barbed-wire fence, her geeky sidekick, with the crackling juvenile voice, running behind her in perfect step, trying to hold an umbrella over her head as he rips apart an email printout – he mysteriously is in possession of - with the half-words Fen… Wo…distinctly seen in the header.

Then…fade to black.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2007
  17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

It's funny how far from reality the impression of events actually is, eh?

Oh. And you do know who Chewing Gum is, don't you? He has many names. Constantly reinventing himself. Annoying, that.

18. Satyr Banned Banned

How would you know?
    Your head was part-way up her majestic ass half of the time.
    The other half you were sniffing up steel-toe boot straps with a mini skirt.

Oh, please tell me more.

19. Roman Banned Banned

Romani?
    The dude with 11 posts, half of them about videogames?

20. Sputnik Banned Banned

You do have a point , Invert .......
    And I am as bad as the next guy .......though I keep my halfwit sillyfunny comments out of the Science part of Scifo ...........

I am afraid that Spur and TDI , have to high hopes about mods/adms .....
    mods/adms are just people , with feelings like everybody else ....if you repeatedly attack them - then in the end they will give back the same way.......they are no bots ...only humans ..... and actually I prefer them that way ......at least as long they don´t get so emotional, that they go over the hill , and abuse their modpower ...........
    I must admit, I got shocked about the ISP report ..........but that is all in the past ........

In general I do NOT see the mods/adms as evil or vindictive .........

I think it is important to look forward .......

It is easy to work yourself into a frenzy - pointing at faults of everybody else ...... the only thing that works is a dialog ...........not attacks .......

And sometimes looking at the faults of the person in the mirror...........

And yes , there are some F 60.4 ´s here on Scifo ....but in general Scifo is more fun with them, than without them ........
    I also like a lot that Scifo in general is a tolerant forum ..... I think that is one of the best things about Scifo .......

21. Fenris Wolf Banned Banned

Heh.
    That one had me reeling for a while. They were only supposed to be duelling swords, goddamit, and then I find some slimy worm has substituted your sword with live steel and my breastplate with a feather boa. The princess was the one to warn me, while the queen sat back and chortled. So very unfair.
    Now if this was "The Lord of the Rings" young Grima would have got his just desserts in the end, but it isn't... and life goes on.
    Those were the days, weren't they. *chuckle*

22. Xev Registered Senior Member

I'm not even here and you retards make shit up to attack me.

Whatever, I'm off to eat some ice cream.

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

Not bad, mildly amusing....

I see this as how it happened: