Business Management "Into thin Air"

Discussion in 'Business & Economics' started by langis, Mar 1, 2004.

1. langis Registered Member

“Mountaineering” and “summitry” has recently been hailed as the “management metaphor of the moment”. Much of this interest stems from Jon Krakauer’s recent best-selling book Into Thin Air: A personal account of the Mount Everest Disaster.

Moontaineering and summitry is the metaphor of the moment, but could this metaphor be just another managerial fad and of no real value to the practicing manager?

Are you against or for Into Thin Air as an important book for managers?

I readed the book and I saw the movie. The business environment of today is without a doubt different from the one a decade ago and the work place of tomorrow will change. In my opinion any books about team sport could be used. When you are climbing your goals is to reach the top of the mountain, and to accomplish that goal you need a good team with everyone willing to do their individuals efforts to contribute toward that goal. Whatever that goal might be, is the summit. Well this could be easily interpreted in a business setting with the team leader trying to motivate the staff to achieve the company's goal. Of course along the way there is obstacle just like there is plenty of them when you climb a mountain. The big difference that I find is that most of the people in any team sports are already self-motivated to achieve the ultimate goal, like reaching the top of Mount Everest. In business not everyone share the same central goals and objective than the company. Most of the employees have their own life goals and have other interest other than maximizing profit. That is the only part that I object, in business, employees and the company do not always share the same views and "Into Think Air" most of the people volunteer to reach the top. While this is my views of this management metaphor.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. zanket Human Valued Senior Member

It seems to me that Into Thin Air would be a good read for a manager. My favorite quote therein is from the Japanese team member who said (paraphrasing) “There’s no such thing as morality above 8,000 meters.” I think those climbers are a little warped though. Like Beck Weathers, the guy who lost his hands & nose; he has school-age kids. He obviously put himself way ahead of his family. Some goals are not worth it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

That's a great quote for management of large corporations.
    "Once we have succeeded to a certain point, morality is no longer important."
    We've certainly had plenty of recent economic and evironmental examples.

:m: Peace.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

Mountaneering is a horrible metaphor for running a company. It suggests a singular struggle against a somewhat static environment with one of the greatest external obstacle often being the complete un-predictability of the weather, meanwhile a "team" of climbers is not competing against anything except their own potential weakness of resolve. Where's the competition?

Sorry, don't see myself buying that poster to hang in the office. I'll stick with Strongbad's management strategy of always stressing all the "tivities".

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. langis Registered Member

The very unpredictable and deadly weather is an excellent example showing how the business environment is also unpredictable.

9. langis Registered Member

Goofyfish, this is a good quote, but I was wondering where did you get it because I would like to quote it in my next essay.

10. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Sorry, the quote is from the Fish's mouth; I was commenting on zanket's post. But feel free...

:m: Peace.