Breastfeeding saves lives

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

One of the most powerful lifesavers for babies doesn’t come from a pharmaceutical company. Instead, it comes from a mother’s breasts.
    According to two research papers published in the Lancet, increased breastfeeding worldwide could save over 800,000 children’s lives each year. And it could prevent 20,000 mothers from dying of breast and ovarian cancers, too.

http://www.statnews.com/2016/01/28/breastfeeding-saves-lives/

Edont Knoff likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. timojin Valued Senior Member

So British are not very healthy or will not be a healthy society because 1 un 200 are breastfed

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Silver80 Registered Member

I think it's acknowledged that mothers in the UK need to breastfeed more. In some areas the rate is only 20%, if this went up to just 45% it would save the NHS a lot of money, in particular when treating childhood cancers and breast/ovarian cancers in women.
    part of the problem is the way it is portrayed in the media, or rather not portrayed. babies in sit coms etc are bottle fed and I think it's seen as a very much middle class issue.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. deepslate Registered Member

Well, I do heard of that before that breastfeeding is good both for the mother and her baby. It could very beneficial because it can prevent breast cancer and hypertension.

8. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I saw a sit com once where a young mother had breast milk in the fridge and a visitor inadvertently drank it. He was horrified at the idea of drinking human milk. (I suppose he somehow associated it with cannibalism.)

It just goes to show the odd attitudes that people can have.

9. timojin Valued Senior Member

I like breast milk

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

From highschool:
    breast milk is better for babies than cows milk
    because
    it comes pre-warmed
    it's handier to take on picnics
    and
    it comes in such cute containers
    and
    ......... the list goes on
    (wish I could remember the rest)

11. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

You've got to admire the marketing. Even people who don't want the contents love the containers.

12. timojin Valued Senior Member

I am not sure they love the container if it is empty .
    Is the container attractive been filled with artificial fluid ?

13. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Breast milk sugars promote healthy infant growth through gut microbiome:

In a study published February 18 in Cell, a team led by Jeffrey Gordon at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis now finds key components in breast milk that promote healthy infant growth and how interactions with the gut bacteria drive this process.They found that sugars containing sialic acid, which has been implicated in brain development, were far more abundant in the breast milk of mothers with healthy compared with stunted babies.This suggested that these breast milk sugars might promote healthy infant growth.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-02/cp-bms021616.php

14. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

A new study from The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston finds that breastfeeding, along with vaccinations help reduce ear infection rates in babies. The study found that rates of ear infection have dropped significantly since similar studies were conducted in the late 1980s and 1990s with higher rates of breastfeeding, use of vaccinations and lower rates of smoking as the major contributors.
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-03/uotm-bvh032516.php

Study: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/134/6/1144

15. Silver80 Registered Member

Although none of this is news, it's all been well-documented. breastfeeding reduces allergies, infections etc. It's just such an emotive subject and always seems to fall too heavily on either side, making women feel guilty whatever they choose.