Boy scout leaders destroy natural rock formation

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Magical Realist, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Boy Scouts of America spokesman Deron Smith confirmed the men are members of the organization, saying in a statement that the organization is "shocked and disappointed by this reprehensible behavior."

Boy Scout troops spend countless hours in state and national parks, guided by the principle of leaving nature the way they find it, Smith said.

"The isolated actions of these individuals are absolutely counter to our beliefs and what we teach," Smith said. "We are reviewing this matter and will take appropriate action."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/1...r-boy-scouts-who-toppled-utah-rock-formation/

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

It is troubling how many people use YouTube and Facebook to post their videos of people (often themselves) breaking the law, violence, school bullying, etc. When did it become "entertaining" to watch such scenarios?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Good to see something is being done. The rock formation is roughly 170 million years old.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Capracus Valued Senior Member

Another fine example of good old fashioned heterosexual scout leadership.

I wonder if "Wiggle It — Just a Little Bit" is the preferred hiking cadence of these particular troop leaders.

9. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

how in the frack did he think someone would be crushed by it? He had a hard time forcibly MOVING the damn thing... what, did he think a stiff breeze would knock it over?

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

maybe they thought it was a homosexual rock formation

11. Bells Staff Member

This is why you shouldn't let slack jawed religious yokels outside!

A copy of the video was posted on YouTube by the Salt Lake Tribune and shows a scene of giddy revelry. One of the men, "Glenn," is seen attempting to push over one of the park's signature stone formations, known as "goblins." When Glenn can't budge the rock, the man filming tells him to "wiggle it." He shifts position and pushes again; seconds later the delicate buttress that held the boulder aloft gives way, and the massive stone topples over.

"We have now modified Goblin Valley," one of the men says in the video, soliciting a cheer from the man behind him. "A new Goblin Valley exists, with, uh, this boulder down here [at] the bottom," he elaborates, pointing the camera at the large rock now resting below its former perch.

"Some little kid was about ready to walk down here and die," the cameraman continues. "Glenn saved his life by getting the boulder out of the way. So, it's all about saving lives here at Goblin Valley."

They even boasted about it.

They were apparently on a church camp out when they did it.

The video that goes with the story I linked above then goes on to say that the moron who pushed the boulder over and the others involved had a lawsuit for an accident from last month for injuries they claim they sustained. The guy who pushed the rock over had claimed in his lawsuit that he was still suffering and undergoing medical treatment for his injuries. And yet, he was not injured enough to push a boulder over.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Jesus told them to do it.

13. Balerion Banned Banned

Ha! You win the thread.

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

15. Bells Staff Member

Am I the only one who watched that rock start to topple over and quietly hoped it would roll back onto his foot..?

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Actually, I was hoping it would roll back onto his head.

17. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

""I've gotten death threats from people in Germany and Spain and New Zealand ... I mean hundreds and hundreds of hateful messages," Hall told the Deseret News.

Hall and Taylor are leaders of a Varsity Scout team for boys ages 14 and 15 sponsored by their Mormon church ward in Highland."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/1...ng-death-threats-after-toppling-ancient-utah/

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Typical Mormons. Always destroying natural rock formations!
    Who wouldn't hate them?

Seriously. Any ideas on why these particular Mormons were so awful in every way?
    We occasionally get Mormons in the UK, and they usually look fine.
    Maybe it was a camp for reject Mormons.

They looked, oddly, very similar to the Goblin stones they were wrecking.
    Did the Goblins do it to them?
    Was it a Satanic Goblin Spell?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
  19. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

What does their religion have to do with it?

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

It made them really, really really stupid and didn't teach them anything about morals and ethics.

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Religion sometimes makes fools of men, but this was more than that.
    Nothing could have made them behave that stupidly...............
    except Goblins.

22. lawiseman Registered Member

I generally approve of the Boy Scouts, having been one myself, but by no means vouch for them all. Poor decision, and/or excuse on these guys' part.

Source: Eagle

23. Thoreau Valued Senior Member