Bottom of Car Rusted

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lixluke, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

How can I fix the bottom of my car?

I just bought a car last week. I found out toda that the whole bottom of the car is rusted. They don't even want to do the oil change because the oil pan is dented. The car is from up north, and got rusted due to cold weather.

They said the tire rods are rusted, the break fuild lines are not even installed right. I cannot add break fluid because it leaks right out. There is some minor oil leakage. I don't even know if the breaks themselves have any probs. Where is the best place for me to take this car to?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

The junk yard?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. vslayer Registered Senior Member

so you need new tie rods, new brake lines and possibly cylinders, and a new sump, and thats probably not all of it. sounds to me like its royally fucked. unless its a classic thats worth spending $1000 and all your spare time for the next six months on, id say cut the top off it, put a roll cage in and take it paddock racing/to the demolition derby

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Is anyone here really surprised that you were too lazy to check it before you bought it????

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Not me - that's for sure!!!!!!

(Lazy gets back exactly how much effort lazy put into it.)

8. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

9. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

AMEN, brother !

Ditto.

Comrade Legotopia: S.O.L.

The Florida Lemon Law applies to NEW or demonstrator motor vehicles which are sold or leased in the State of Florida. With a few exceptions, a previously titled vehicle (used car) is not covered by the Lemon Law.

http://www.800helpfla.com/lemonlaw/doeslemonapply.html

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

ah, didn't know he lived in FL. What idiot buys a car from the North? We salt the roads like crazy. Its why most of the used cars here are from Southern states. Even we know not to buy used Northern cars.

11. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Possibly because some (no names mentioned) actually ARE idiots and are too lazy to even think?

12. scorpius a realist Valued Senior Member

easy,take all the seats out,remove the carpet and clean all the rust off with a wire brush and rust remover.

cover the rusted holes with fibreglass cloth and pour on this stuff,

http://www.por15.com/prodinfo.asp?grp=1&dept=1

if the holes are too big use stiff wire mesh to reinforce support the F glass make it level.

www.por15.com

you may have to put several layers of f-glass on to make it strong as steel panels,...it will never be as good as before but should be good enough to keep the water out and your feet from draging on the pavement..lol

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You're supposed to take a used car to your mechanic and have it checked out BEFORE you buy it. I don't know what kind of car it is, how old it is, or what country it's made in, but you could easily spend $1000 before it's safe and roadworthy, and it could cost a lot more. If you've already found that many problems, it probably has others you just haven't detected yet.

You'll usually get better work for less money from a top-notch independent mechanic who specializes in that make, than you will from a dealer. If you live in a major metropolitan area, Angie's List is a good place to look online. If not, ask people who have the same kind of car where they take them.

But you're going to have to face the possibility that you wasted your money and the car can't be salvaged for a reasonable price. Some cars are just dead, even if the engine runs.

14. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

But that's not going to help ALL of his other problems one little bit. And the silly little kid doesn't even know if the "breaks"

(brakes) work!!

Whoever sold him that piece of junk saw a chump coming a mile away!!! heh-heh!

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

If it is that bad then just get rid of it and cut your losses now. Repairing a totaly rusted out car is a very expensive thing to do and unless it is a car that is very rare or valuable then it simply isn't worth the money or time. Just find another one like it in better shape.

16. Steve100 O͓͍̯̬̯̙͈̟̥̳̩͒̆̿ͬ̑̀̓̿͋ͬ ̙̳ͅ ̫̪̳͔O Valued Senior Member

Dodgy deals tend to be nothing but dodgy.

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

you're not sure about the brakes??? Did you even drive it before you bought it??

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

Boy, nobody saw this coming

19. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

I spent like $900 for the car then $250 for 4 new tires.
    98,800miles.

Brake lines rusted.
    Complete brake leak - master cylinder needs to be replaced. Brakes front are bad - Caliper frozen rusted, break pads bad. Not sure what are brake shoes, rotor, drum. Rear brakes eventually need to be replaced.

Minor oil leak. Head gasket or problem. Oil needs to be changed. Oil pan is not leaking, but needs to be replaced. It's completely rusted, and dented.

Minor transmission leak. Not sure what that is all about.
    Fuel line/lines is rusted. Don't know anything else about fuel system or what needs to be done.

Engine mount (whatever that is) got dented under car when hit the curb.

Tirods no good. Don't know what that is. Shocks and strut need to be replaced I think. Something about front suspension system needs to be replaced. Not sure about rear.

20. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

Jaysus...

Brake pads on front wheels - apply pressure to rotor, which is a metal disc.
    Brake shoes on back wheels - apply pressure to inner surface of drum - sort of a metal bowl with flat sides.
    Caliper is the mechanism which forces pads against rotors.

Head gasket problem is eventual fatal wound, as coolant will also begin leaking eventually, if it isn't already.

Transmission fluid could be leaking from a rusted line, fluid pan, or worn pan gasket.

Engine mount connects engine to frame/body of vehicle. Dented isn't necessarily fatal.
    If it breaks, though...

Tie rods are part of the steering system. When they are kaput, you might get "play" in the steering wheel, - meaning you can turn it some before the vehicle actually begins to turn, or the vehicle might veer left or right a bit without you turning the steering wheel, until you make a "course correction". Also, the wheels might not be be alligned properly, which means either the inner or outer edges will wear faster than the opposite, because the tire isn't being kept perfectly vertical, so to speak.

Frankly, this baby sounds like a good candidate for a demolition derby...

21. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

As is it's present owner!

There's no real value in either of them.

22. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

orleander why the hell would you salt the road?

23. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

If I may -

Rock salt is used as a countermeasure to snow/ice buildup on roads during the Winter season in some Northern states of the US.

It's a mixed blessing, as the "treatment" does get rid of the stuff & provide for safer driving conditions - for the most part - but a side effect is a sort of brine created from the dissolved snow & ice which can coat vehicles, hastening their demise by rusting their chassis & undercarriages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.