Boris is this your field?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Cris, Jan 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

FIFTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON COGNITIVE AND NEURAL SYSTEMS
    Tutorials: May 30, 2001; Meeting: May 31 - June 2, 2001

Boston University http://www.cns.bu.edu/meetings/

This interdisciplinary conference focuses on two fundamental questions:
    How Does the Brain Control Behavior?
    How Can Technology Emulate Biological Intelligence?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Yup.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. patriotSTORM Registered Senior Member

hey Boris, do you work in the medical industry involved with relation to brain development/research, etc? I find the brain absolutely fascinating.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Work? Goodness gracious, no!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I'm only a student. When I get my PhD (whenever that may be [sigh]...), I plan to go into academic research.

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

8. patriotSTORM Registered Senior Member

Boris
    'only' a student, eh? well, I prefer to say that I am a student of life. that way I aint 'only' a student, and it makes me feel ten years younger

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

good luck with your PhD. what are you doing it in?

9. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Boris,

I offer my encouragement. It must be hard work?

10. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Boris,

As part of your research do you have occasion to use AI tools and languages such as Prolog and LISP?

I want to find someone who can recommend a good implementation. I've just started to look at Allegro ACL, which looks like a good quality high-end version of Common Lisp. I'm wondering if there is anything better out there. I don’t have any financial limitations.

My target is to help with Whole Brain Emulation and since I have no background in neuroscience, or AI, but around 32 years working with programming languages I thought I might as well start in the area I know best. I'll have to learn more of neuroscience as I progress, but AI must come first I think.

It looks like Moore’s law is holding up quite nicely still and the period seems to be shortening. Experts seem to think we might have alpha hardware that will run at human brain power by around 2005, but that won’t reach the public for another 10 years beyond that. The biggest issue will be that neuroscience is way behind the hardware and the software needed is almost as bad. So I thought I might try to lend a hand with the software side. The expectations are that we should have brain uploading capabilities within the next 50 years, and hey I need to keep my brain active, so what better way than to figure out how my brain works and write a software version. Oh and my job allows me to work with new state of the art hardware, so I will always be ahead of the public, and the universities.

I would appreciate any tips you can spare.

Cris

11. kmguru Staff Member

Cris:

Learn Forth and create your own 5GL language. Because Forth can be logic and rule driven, it will be more compact. Convert the present neural programs from C to Forth and see what happens.

Then to do a simple response system, you have to add fuzzy logic and rule based system with a fractal based database (much more compact and high speed). Good Luck

12. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

kmguru,

OK thanks. I played with forth about 15 years ago. At that time it depended entirely on stacks, pushes and pops, from what I remember. That was great fun. But I didn't know it was taking part in the AI scene. I'll look around a bit more.

Cheers
    Cris

13. Boris Senior Member Registered Senior Member

Cris,

I beg your pardon for the belated reply; I've been a little busy lately (both off exosci and in the religious forum, obviously).

I work mostly with neuron-level research and simulation, as well as with mathematical models of information flow (Mathematica, Matlab), so I don't get to play with classical AI all that much. When I took my classes in it, though, we used Allegro Lisp in combo with Emacs. If you want to use Lisp, I suppose that's as much of a recommendation as I can offer (I always found Lisp a little harder to write and debug than a procedural language -- but here it comes down to personal preference.) These days, for quick prototyping I use Matlab (it's got a pretty good neural net package, by the way.) For general-use demos I write Java (my favorite language to date, even if it does have a few annoying caveats.) There are also a slew of neural net simulators publicly available from just about any university web site you can think of (mostly written in C and C++, a few in Java) -- but then I'm not sure neural nets are what you want.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your endeavors!

------------------
    I am; therefore I think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.