Bordello and rape

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by arauca, Sep 27, 2013.

1. arauca Banned Banned

Australia's handling of prostitution is often cited as a success model, particularly the framework adopted by the State of Victoria.

In the 1970s illegal brothels masqueraded as massage parlors and street walkers proliferated the street areas around the notorious suburb of Melbourne, St Kilda. Victoria was the first state to legalize brothel based prostitution through the Melbourne and Metropolitan Planning Scheme with the objectives of controlling industry growth, reducing illegal activities, preventing criminal elements infiltrating the industry, preventing child prostitution, and making street walkers safe.

The Victorian model allowed licensed commercial brothels regulated under the 1994 Prostitution Control Act which became known as the Sex Work Act, and local government planning regulations. In addition single owner managed brothels with one additional sex worker were also allowed and exempt from the need to obtain a license under the Sex Worker Act. However these small brothels still needed local government planning approvals which were almost impossible to obtain, requiring appeals to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, needing expensive legal representation.
    http://english.pravda.ru/society/stories/23-09-2013/125700-australia_prostitution_laws-0/

By having legalized prostitution and brothels have reduced rape in the province Victoria in Australia ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DestroyCurrency? Registered Member

I'm sure it did, for the same reason legalizing drugs would reduce drug related violence, addiction and overdoses. If people could get drugs legally instead of through a shady source or bad people like alot of dealers are. Also certain drugs like Ayahausca (contains DMT) are very benefical and could be used medically.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Rape is generally considered a crime of violence. It's not about sex. I don't know that brothels would greatly reduce the crime of rape.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. arauca Banned Banned

There go an other dreamer, To stick your dick into a vagina , you must have an erection , so why do you get an erection ?

8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

I don't think an internet forum is going to go far into making you a more evolved person so I'm not going to try.

9. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what difference does it make? if it has reduced numbers that would be fantastic but legalising and regulating prostitution like any other career is a worthy goal in and of itself simply for WHS reasons. It reduces the amounts of sex slavery and underage prostitution when brothels are all regulated because workers and clients aren't afraid to speak out, it reduces rates of disease and violence because workers are taught about how to protect themselves and there clients and are given access to services.

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

arauca,

I live in Victoria, Australia. We call Victoria a State, not a province. Australia is like the United States of America in that respect, and our federal system is modelled on the US system (though our government is modelled on the Westminster system).

I'm not sure what the answer to your question is. If I was going to research it, I'd start by trying to find out whether the incidence of rape in Victoria has decreased over the years since brothels were legalised. But I think you'll most likely find that the numbers of rapes reported have actually increased. Does that mean there's more rape now than before? No, because it could equally mean that people are more likely to report rapes to the police now.

Once you've worked out the rape statistics issue (not a simple matter), then you can turn your attention to the correlation with the legalisation of sex work. And after you've done that, you can investigate potentially causation, which is another can of worms.

Good luck!

Because as a rapist the feeling of power you get by dominating a victim makes you horny. Rape is a crime of violence, first and foremost. It is the domination of another human being without their consent. It is not primarily about sex.

11. arauca Banned Banned

Crime by force : Intimidation on a job or position on a job will that be considered a rape ?

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

arauca:

Why?

Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here.

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The U.S. state of Nevada has always had legal bordellos. The exceptions are the counties in which the largest cities are located: Las Vegas, Reno and Carson City. These are convention destinations and women don't want their husbands going to conventions in cities with legal prostitution. Taxicab drivers make a lot of money driving them to the next county.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It has worked very well there. The women work a 40-hour week for wages (and of course tips), with vacations, sick leave and health insurance. Many (perhaps most) of them are university students who happily take the night shift when most of the business takes place. Nonetheless there are plenty of older women in the trade because many men are not comfortable having sex with a woman the age of their own daughter or granddaughter.

They get a free, mandatory medical checkup every month. They are required to inspect their customers in advance and may reject anyone they think is carrying a disease. Violence is forbidden although they are allowed to "play games" as long as it's by mutual consent and no serious harm is done. There are strong men in the building to take care of any problems, although generally the staff with whom the customers interact are all female.

It's been a long time since I bothered to keep up with information about the Nevada sex industry, but the last time I did, there had been zero incidences of prostitutes contracting HIV.

Much of the money that is invested in Nevada business comes across the state line from Utah: the Mormon state.

14. arauca Banned Banned

I know we come from different hemisphere . Let say you are office manager , and you have some desire for a chick in your office , and there is a case for promotion of the girl on whom you have the desire . so you approach her in a nice way , by telling her if she puts up you give her promotion if not she will not be promoted .
    I hope it is clear.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

That's sexual harassment, not rape.

16. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

This!

I could have sworn, that we had this same or very similar dialogue in the thread you started a while back about military women being raped by their colleagues. I'm sadly surprised that you didn't come away having learned much from it, it seems, as it relates to the very basic definition of rape.

This x 1000

Rape is not about sex.
    It's about power, violence, and control.

Whether it's between a husband and his wife, a boyfriend and his girlfriend, or complete strangers to one another...rape is about forcing someone to have sex with you against her will, and in the process of that, becoming aroused by watching the victim suffer through it, in submission. There are no ''distinctions,'' arauca. Rape is rape, and it's a crime.

17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

For the sake of completeness, prostitution isn't necessarily about sex either. From the customer's viewpoint it's often about making a human connection, the cliche being, "My wife doesn't understand me." From the prostitute's viewpoint it's just another unpleasant thing that you have to do - like taking out the garbage.

And prostitution is about using money to alter her will.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Interesting assumption, rather sad and probably wrong for the most part. You must be a very sad person to equate sex to garbage

19. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

True, but whether it is legal or not, prostitution shouldn't be viewed as a catalyst for lowering the crime of rape. I fail to see the correlation.

20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I didn't equate sex to garbage. I equated having to have sex with having to take out the garbage. No matter how much fun something is when you want to do it, it isn't fun when you have to do it.

21. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I agree. I don't think there is a direct correlation between prostitution and rape.

There is a spectrum though, from consent to coercion (sexual harassment) to coercion by money (prostitution) to force.

22. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Yep.
    In all of these scenarios, it is the woman who greatly suffers.
    No one joyfully enters into prostitution. No one joyfully agrees to being used by men.
    It is a decision a woman makes who thinks she has no better and brighter option.

I don't like these types of topics because it infers ever so subtly that somehow prostitution, if it were legalized, would somehow benefit society. No; it only benefits men who apparently can't get laid without paying for it.

And understand, it's not that I think we should or need to eradicate society of prostitution, but we need to see it for what it is, and it will never be a value to society. Never. Women who go into prostitution have a myriad of issues that only worsen when they permit themselves to being used as sex tools for another person's fantasies or pleasure. Sure they get paid but that only means they don't see the value of themselves beyond a mere commodity to be used. Like I use my toaster or vacuum cleaner.

Legalizing prostitution doesn't benefit society. It legalizes depravity, that's about it. That's why articles that sorry, but outright lie, that such depravity has an "upside" make me ill.

23. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

That's right. Making a bad thing safer doesn't make it a good thing.