"Book Of Eli" **Possible Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by superstring01, Jan 19, 2010.

1. superstring01 Moderator

Surprisingly good movie. I loved the music, it had a haunting quality. What an amazing ending. Anybody else see this flick?

~String

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Delphi Registered Senior Member

Agree about the music.

Not a bad film overall. Very gloomy, but the Hughes Brothers' attention to gritty detail is as alive as ever here--which I believe ultimately contributed to making it a better film.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

So it really is a good movie? With exception of Denzel Washington being in it, I was quite skeptical. Is it worth seeing?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. superstring01 Moderator

I loved the music. It was. . . well, it was great. It made the movie feel surreal.

I think so. It was long. It had boring parts, but they were essential. It's not action-packed, sexed up violence. While there are violent scenes, they each serve a specific purpose that--surprisingly enough--don't become clear until reflection AFTER the movie. These parts stood out to me and had me slightly confused during those scenes (wondering why the protagonist would do what he did). Damn. . . I'll wait a week before discussing.

Basically: It's the story of a guy with a "calling" to carry a bible across the wasteland that was the USA. Even as a non-christian, I was really moved by the last half hour of the movie.

It's a worthwhile investment.

~String

8. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

this trailer caught my attention just because my husband and i had already decided to name our baby *fingers crossed* Eli. i googled up the book of eli and it seems it was perhaps one of the many books omitted from the bible, and it's apocalyptic in theme. does the movie relate to the scripture at all?

9. superstring01 Moderator

Well, the guy's name was Eli. The "book" was the bible. Maybe the writers are paying a kind nod to the original "Book Of Eli". Who knows.

~String