Bone Marrow Donations

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Orleander, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Faerynght Registered Senior Member

I was just discussing this with a patient today, the first bone marrow she had done was painful (performed at another center) but she said it was because she was afraid, the last two collections she had done were not painful at all all she felt was some pressure at the needle site. She may have to have a BMT in a few weeks depending on her results in a week or so, this last round came through free of malignant cells which makes us hopeful that her chemo was affective.

I think it is wonderful that you are thinking about registering for a donor program, as with any medical procedure it is not without risks and some discomfort. I think the benefits outweigh the risks and you could save someones life.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

and that's why I wanted to join. I would be devastated if I lost one of my children. If I can spare another family that, I will.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Faerynght Registered Senior Member

I wish so many more people felt this way it would make things so much easier on our patients...Hope is a way of life where I spend most of my days because of people like you.

I am an organ donor but unfortunately can not give blood due to a transfusion I received and my weight.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I'm a body donor. My husband is an organ donor if he dies before me. And our children are organ donors. We have already discussed this with them and they are ok with it.

I've wrestled with the fact that my son (16) wants to be a body donor and my daughter has mentioned it. I don't know. I know pediatric surgeons would need them, but....hell, they're my babies!