Body Art, Tattoos, Piercings, Branding and Implants

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by KilljoyKlown, Apr 24, 2011.

?

Indicate your current body art status

1. You currently have some form of body art

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  2. You don't have any including pierced ears

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
  3. You are thinking about it

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. You never would for any reason

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

uke: EWWWW! ew, ew, ew!

Dude, not even if I was carrying clorox in my car and wearing gloves would I knowingly touch a stranger's used buttplug.

Of course not. Apparently you don't find pain in any way enjoyable.

I had my arm "rough-set" in the ER with no painkillers-basically the orthopedist took my shattered forearm by the intact ends and yanked.
    Not exactly pain with erotic or soothing overtones, no.

There's stingy pain, thuddy pain, and...well, I've never had the whole world turn white and translucent before.

I want a tat because I find them aesthetically pleasing... and that seems a good reason to get one. The kind of Ink I'll have to have used is going to make a huge collection prohibitively expensive-gotta use they hypoallergenic inks.
    If I like it, the other fine-line one I wanted was dandelions growing through a mostly-buried human skull in the grass. Meaning I'd have to execute the drawing the tattoo artist will work from myself, and since I'm not a tremendously skilled artist it will take me a lot of effort to get something I'm really happy with.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. phlogistician Banned Banned

Given I'm into extreme sports, martial arts, and am training for a half marathon, why would you say that?

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

I just don't buy that because there's a modicum of pain getting a tattoo it's in any way risky or edgy. If we accept that reasoning, them mothers are the hardest people on the planet,....

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

mothers are the hardest people on the planet, and the softest, at the same time.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Not in my case, since I intend to have used the hypoallergenic, nontoxic inks, go to a shop that uses proper sterile technique, and have it or them put where I can conceal them for job interviews.

Driving to work everyday puts me in a lot more risk

I happen to really like tattoos, and Terry Pratchett's books.

But there are still people who disapprove of such things...my general attitude of "such things" and "disapprove" is that I like to annoy those who disapprove of ANY "such things," as long as they are really genuinely harmless...

I had really miserable teenaged years...never too late for a happy adolescence?

Giving birth can still kill you. And hurts like hell, I'm told.
    Trying to poop something the girth of a large grapefruit, I guess that might be equivalent...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  8. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Only anecdotel, observational, and to a degree logical.
    Tramp stamp girls tend to be more outgoing, more open, and hence more likely to indulge in promiscuous sexual activities increasing their risk of VD. They also tend to come from the poorer and least educated parts of society, again increasing their risks.
    I seem to recall at one point there was also a more general correlation shown between tattoos and risk taking, but I can't recall where the study came from.

I'm sure there are exceptions but there's a reason they got that nickname - No smoke without fire.

9. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

you prefaced your last post with "where i'm from" and i couldn't help but think that where you're from must have a population with staggering vd stats. not because a lot of them have tattoos, but because a lot of them are apparently stupid enough to think a tattoo might be an indicator of vd risk.

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

By that reasoning, we should all wear ONLY plain clothes. Since if you wear a nice dress to look pretty, aren't you trying to improve on what is already there?

I don't see it as making something 'better' by the way. I see it as self expression. Everyone has external obliques, big deal, but tattooing razorwire over them is putting my stamp of self expression on my standard issue body. (No, sadly, before someone asks, I didn't yet get this done...I'm saving up for it...)

This in itself doesn't reduce it to just a fashion fad.

Everything was done for the first time once. I'm sure earrings were rare once. Does that mean anyone who has them is just following a fad?

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Bustles!

12. awesomeppl Registered Member

well first off it only lasted about 6 months and now i can get a tattoo any suggestions??

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Tats are so personal, that once you've made the decision to get one, you've crossed a line that allows you to move on to the next step. Before you decide what the tat will be you need to choose the first place your going to put one, then it's easier to decide what it will be. Do you know any artists that could design you one? Or are you going to pick out a picture that's already been used. Or maybe you can design your own. Whatever process you use, it will be exciting, just please don't be in a hurry to get it done, take your time and enjoy the entire process, then when you finally start putting on the ink it will be a climax any man might find hard to compete with (or so I've been told).

14. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Do you have a picture of what the other side looks like?

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Who cares, it's a big steaming pile of awesome! Take that conformist!

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I don't particularly care for the example you provided, but then I'm sure that was your intention and not getting any tats is more conformist than getting one.

18. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I just love your sarcastic attitude and your refusal to deal with anything other than your views and yourperspectives. That guy is hardly representative of anyone who has body art.

None of my tattoo ideas are intended to 'stick it to the man'. They were drawn up because they were ideas that I came up with and felt strongly about.

Go find me someone who has the exact cybernetic winged animal on their back that I saw in one of my dreams...One. One... And then maybe I'll listen when you call ALL people with body art conformist wannabe mavericks.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The only ones I can really respect are those on GG Allin. He didn't care what people tattooed on him.

20. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

http://funfever.blogspot.com/2007/11/science-tattoos.html

I can't seem to copypasta the images on the page, but it's a huge collection of geek body art...absolutely gorgeous and full of win.

The DNA tats are really cool, and...hmmm...

Maybe I ought to get a tattoo concerning evolution at some point-that would, in fact, really annoy people around here...

And here is a Death Of Rats tattoo...as Terry Pratchett said of this character..."It's the snout coming out of the hood that makes him funny."
    http://www.ratemyink.com/?action=ssp&pid=53184
    He's Death's comedic sidekick on the Discworld. Also in charge of mice and hamsters.
    Able to SQUEAK in capital letters.

As someone I dated once said: "Tattoos are like jewelry, except you can't lose it."

GG's tats are ugly, more like kid's scrawls on a bathroom wall.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I know, they are awesome! That's how not to give a fuck.

22. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I give a fuck. Which is why I carefully drew my tattoo ideas up, why I'm saving up and why I plan to wait another year to see if I still want those designs inked on me. I don't pretend to be one of those eat-my-shit gratuitously offensive vomit-punks nor do I really care to be one.

Also, people who call it mutilation need to get some fucking perspective. You seen real mutilation? You seen your friend cut herself multiple times because she's obsessed with wanting to be a fucking vampire? You seen an adult man rip his face open in the throes of severe autism? THAT is mutilation. Not carefully and responsibly putting art on your body.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm against making tattoos respectable. They are appropriate for the fringe elements of society, not nice girls who like art.