Blue Eye Project:Emotional Mouse.

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Rick, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Valued Senior Member

At IBM research a Blue Eye project is being carried out to enhance computers emotional capabilities.sensors in the mouse sense the physiological attributes, which are correlated to emotions using a correlation model. The correlation model is derived from a calibration process in which a baseline attribute-to-emotion correlation is rendered based on statistical analysis of calibration signals generated by users having emotions that are measured or otherwise known at calibration time. A vector in N dimensions, representative of a subject user's emotions, is output or subsequent subject users whose emotions are sought to be known, with the baseline being the reference in the N-dimensional space of the vector.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By simply touching the mouse, the computer will be able to determine a person's emotional state.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heart rate is taken by IR on the thumb, temperature is taken using a thermosistor chip, GSA is taken through the mouse device driver, and GSR is taken through fingertips. These values are input into a series of discriminate function analyses and correlated to an emotional state (we are doing 6). Specifically, for the mouse, discriminate function analysis is used in accordance with basic principles to determine a baseline relationship, that is, the relationship between each set of calibration physiological signals and the associated emotion.
    To be included in the discriminate function analysis, the proportion of each signal's emotion-specific variance (that is not accounted for by other non-excluded signals) to total variance must exceed a criterion proportion, which for the mouse is 0.001 (or one part per every thousand). After any signals are excluded from the analysis, all signals are analyzed simultaneously to describe the baseline relationship by a number of discriminate functions equal to one less than the number of emotions sought (N-1) or the number of physiological signals, whichever is less.

so next time you are discussing your date with your computer,daddy wont find out as it can tell difference between two hands.

for more info on complete Blue Eye Project log on to:
    ==============================================
    www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/blueeyes/mouse.html
    ==============================================

bye!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. aswanikumar Registered Member

interesting

Sir,
    this is really interesting.i feel that this project relates to Artificial Intelligence.
    As we have some voice recognition systems and all,now this will be a milestone in the study of Artificial Intelligence.
    I want to know where this project can be applied?.as the project theme states it is realted to measure the pulse of the human while operating system.
    is it useful in Medical diagnosis and crime realted investigations?.
    please clarify.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. aswanikumar Registered Member

interesting

Sir,
    this is really interesting.i feel that this project relates to Artificial Intelligence.
    As we have some voice recognition systems and all,now this will be a milestone in the study of Artificial Intelligence.
    I want to know where this project can be applied?.as the project theme states it is realted to measure the pulse of the human while operating system.
    is it useful in Medical diagnosis and crime realted investigations?.
    please clarify.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Rick Valued Senior Member

Hi Mr Aswani,

the above project can have various applications,i am quoting this from the website itself;

BlueEyes uses non-obtrusive sensing technology, such as video cameras and microphones, to identify and observe a user's actions, and to extract key information, such as where the user is looking and what the user is saying verbally and gesturely. These cues are analyzed to determine the user's physical, emotional, or informational state, which in turn can be used to help make the user more productive by performing expected actions or by providing expected information. For Example;
    a BlueEyes-enabled television could become active when the user makes eye contact, at which point the user could then tell the television to "turn on CNN". The television would respond to the user's request by changing the channel to CNN. If the television then "sees" the user smile or nod, it would know that it had satisfied the request. If the television "sees" the user frown and complain, it would explain that it didn't understand the request and ask for clarification in which you could explain you meant CNN Headline News.
    BlueEyes technology can be implemented in computer training or education programs, enabling computers to observe students' emotional state (frustration, excitement, and so on) and just as any good instructor, adjust information delivery accordingly. In the future, ordinary household devices -- such as televisions, refrigerators, and ovens -- will do their jobs when we speak to them or look at them. Future applications of BlueEyes technology are limitless -- from designing cars and developing presentations, to interactive entertainment and advertising.

the Almaden project as i think is one step closer to integration of various sensor additions to your own computers,ie they"ll now know your emotional state and load programs accordingly,they can smell as you might have heard of Digiscentsand analyse it ..etc

bye!

8. aswanikumar Registered Member

amazing

hai,
    its really amazing and unbelievable.
    how the computer can take that expressions as input?.
    how it will recognize?.for voice its ok.but for expression how?.

if suppose at that time person smiling or laughing bcoz of another reason then whether the system will take it as i/p?.will take expressions of other persons surrounded that place?.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

please clarify my doubts.

9. Rick Valued Senior Member

Who said anything about surroundings?

it will take or detect emotional changes in a person through various monitering techniques that i mentioned,but that"ll only happen if person touches the mouse,isnt it?

bye!

10. Assasin001 Registered Member

That has nothing to do with AI...it's just an advanced type of programming made to calculate the emotion (mood) of the person

Assasin001

11. Rick Valued Senior Member

Excuse me?did i mention AI anywhere,if i did,please point out!...

bye!

12. laxmi Registered Member

Emotional mouse applications

Hi,
    I would like to know more about the applications of Emotional mouse.I mean how does it exactly work...I just read your CNN channel example.. in which you hav quoted saying"........at which point the user could then tell the television to "turn on CNN". The television would respond to the user's request by changing the channel to CNN."I want to know how will the television understand if we say to turn on the TV.I mean emotional mouse does "SPEECH RECOGNITION" also..??????.I know that the user has to be in touch with the mouse but still how will the mouse understand what am i saying????
    Can i have some more applications on this Emotional mouse.I would also like to know the working in detail .. hope you will help me..

13. moritalea Registered Member

i want to know where we can buy the physiological emotional mouse

hello

i m student

i want to buy IBM 's emotinal mouse for reaserch study

thank you

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

That is pretty cool.

Mine would probably spend much of its time telling me to calm the fuck down

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.