Blow your brain

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Krusher, Feb 5, 2000.

1. Krusher Registered Senior Member

Some people ponder how the universe could ever begin, stuff like where did the gases and stuff come from.

I ponder why there was the space for the galaxy to go in.
    Why was there nothing?
    Why was there the void to put the universe in.
    Why couldn't there just have been no nothing at all.

Its impossible to imagine a universe with out something or nothing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 666 Registered Senior Member

Is it imposible or do you just not let your self invision it?

------------------
    All I know is what I understand. All I understand is what I know.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Krusher Registered Senior Member

How can you see nothing when there is no nothing to see.
    It could not be a dark void, for that would be nothing.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dido Registered Senior Member

Krusher,

I believe that a theory which may solve your dilmma is that of space-time being able to travel faster than the speed of light. Therefore all matter and light could spread out from the source of the Big Bang at the instant of the explosion.

This is merely a theory, and is one of the foundations of the theory of faster than light travel.

Much of physics is theory, and much of future developments in physics are theories. Through having theories we can make discoveries. Great things aren't they!

------------------
    Resistance is futile.

**Sorry about the Star Trek fanatical cliches--the Borg don't you just love them**

[This message has been edited by Dido (edited February 08, 2000).]

8. Krusher Registered Senior Member

So dido, what your actually saying is that if we could find a way to latch onto a point in space/time we could travel past the speed of light

9. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Right where you're sitting is a point in space/time. Are you familiar with the works of John Gribbin?

10. Krusher Registered Senior Member

We are constantly moving through space/time.

As time pushes on, and we fly through space.
    You are on a point in space and time now but by the time you can even think that your position has changed

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Then, theoretically, if you DID latch on to a single point in space/time, all would change but you. As things changed to occupy the space/time you once did, you would disintegrate. Actually, what I want to say is a lot more eloborate, but there's a cool show on Discovery right now.

[This message has been edited by Oxygen (edited February 10, 2000).]

12. Krusher Registered Senior Member

I can see what you mean oxygen.
    The time behind you would fly straight into you.

13. intlmanofmystery Registered Member

Lets suppose for a second that we could travel faster than light (better hold on!). Then wouldn't it be possible to reach an identical point in space-time at some point in the future, assuming that we are talking only about three dimensions of space and one time dimension. For mathematical continuity, must not time flow backwards. This may seem strange, if not impossible, but remember that our entire perception of time has been developed at relatively low velocities with respect to light. And really, time itself may only be a perceived dimension, due to our limited human expericnes and comprehension. It may be our way of expressing a directional sense we feel (again only a perception), which parallels the real directional force such as Entropy, the universe's drive toward a state of disorder! For this precise reason is why I prefer to talk about space-fabric, rather than space-time.
    Anyway, just a thought! - peace.