Bloody Mary

Discussion in 'UFOs, Ghosts and Monsters' started by DaveC426913, Oct 29, 2019.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

This is kind of ghost/monster-like since that's what reportedly typically manifests.

https://digg.com/video/history-bloody-mary-mirror-trick-why-actually-works

I watched this video with the open mind of a skeptic, (impatiently, since it took them over five minutes to actually get to the point), and it turns out this has some real demonstrable science behind it.

Essentially, if you look into a mirror long enough, under the right conditions you will (may) see a yourself turn into a monster (a dissociative effect).

There's a section in the video at 5:50-6:20 that very effectively demonstrates a related effect. You may have heard of it before as the "Celebrity Face Distortion" - I had not seen it before, and it was very effective for me.

Doing it to yourself in a mirror adds the creepy immediacy of being in real-time and right in your face, and - well - you.

I'm gonna try this next time I have a mirror and a 25-watt bulb.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

No no no...don’t doooo it.

It’s too scary.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

There are a lot of similar interesting effects from just staring at something. When there is no continuing stimulation that brain "takes a break"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There is a grey screen with a plus sign in the middle that you stare at. The grey screen has some colors mixed in. After a few seconds the colors go away.

Or stare at a colorful pattern for 30 seconds and then look at a white wall. You will now see that same pattern with complementary (opposite) colors.

We used to do that when bored in elementary school. Stare at the red, white and blue flag and then stare at a blank wall and you will see a green, white and orange flag.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Yep. Troxler Fading. It, in conjunction with pareidolia, is the cause of the effect seen the the Celebrity Face thing.