BLOOD PRESSURE ( HYPERTENSION )

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by timojin, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Timojin, I am an atheist, that is why I don't pray. "Crossing my fingers for luck" is what we call a "social nicety", something that we say in support and best wishes for another person. They are not meant to be taken literally, as I am not sitting her with my fingers crossed, you can tell because I am using them for typing. In this case, I expressed my desire that the measures Billy has been taking to prevent his prostate cancer from spreading or advancing would be successful. This is partially because I also have been battling prostate cancer so we share some interests that others do not.

Read that study result on Science Daily this AM. Looks like heavy daily exercise is something we really need.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That is not very surprising as during our long evolution we did a lot of that.
    Some times as the potential preditor, trying to run down dinner*
    And some times as the potential prey, trying to out run the lion or other big cat preditor.

* Almost none of the small animal we chased has our efficent cooling system - we can sweat and they can not so we could chase them until heat prostation made them drop, if need be. This natural advantage be came less important once our ancesstors discovered the bow & arrow, or the atlatl, which was usually disovered much earlier, or the simple spear, even earlier.

A nice, one page, discussion of these and others here: http://www.thudscave.com/npaa/articles/introatlatl.htm

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Yes, and I have somewhere an article that states we possess a huge number of small muscles and tendons to stabilize our heads when we run so we can go vast distances (like marathons) with relative ease. Combined with that cooling mechanism and our ability to work with others, we are the top predator on the planet. Personally, I must say a 7 miles/day running habit makes me feel fast and clear headed. Probably the endorphins though......

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Another good story here:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151119113458.htm

"Exercise may help to reverse neurodegeneration in those with mild cognitive impairment, an early stage of Alzheimer's disease"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Homo sapiens has been the apex predator on Earth for several thousand years. We eat bears and sharks!

8. timojin Valued Senior Member

We eat everything since man discovered learn how to use fire

9. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks. It concludes with this brief summary and link:
    "Improving fitness may counteract brain atrophy in older adults, study shows: Exercise may help to reverse neurodegeneration ... {Rest of your quote plus fact it was published there 19 Nov 2015}

timojin's post 19 link also extoles exercise as prevention of lethal prostate cancer . It was publish about the same date.

A less creditable source agrees: Garlic was item 1 of page 1. Here is item 6 from page 2 of it:
    6) Exercise : "Physical inactivity may raise the risk of high blood pressure by 30 percent. Regular exercise can lower blood pressure and improve heart health. At least 30 minutes of aerobic exercise per day is typically recommended." More health items for high blood presure Back Pain etc. at:
    http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsek/a/Hypertension.htm (page 1 of two) and page 2 at:
    http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsek/a/Hypertension_2.htm

They don't seem to be directly selling anything - that makes them more credible for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015