BLOOD PRESSURE ( HYPERTENSION )

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by timojin, Aug 13, 2015.

1. timojin Valued Senior Member

I wonder if there is much truth in this statement:

“Fortunately, the mutations we’re seeing as common in many cases of PA appear related to the calcium channels on cell surfaces, and we do have good medications available to block those,” says Rainey. “Current drugs used to treat PA patients don’t address the overproduction of hormone.” Further research on PA could help determine which patients with any kind of high blood pressure would be most likely to benefit from calcium-channel blocker drugs

http://www.dddmag.com/news/2015/08/...?et_cid=4739609&et_rid=439217393&location=top

any one familiar with NORVAX

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

It's Norvasc. Similar to the one I take, nifedipine, or Procardia. A low-dose time release keeps me in pretty good shape..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. timojin Valued Senior Member

To be more precise AMLODIPINE A CALCIUM BLOCKER 5 mg tablets.

Interesting you mention low dosage time release . do you know what is the half life for the tablet size you use ?
    Do you take it every day ?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Idorun Registered Member

Try a natural deit, also eliminate all man made salt ingredites .

8. timojin Valued Senior Member

9. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

Why am I not surprised?

Thread closed for me. The idiots have closed in..

Kristoffer likes this.
  10. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I take Ranitidine every morning. I keep running into other people who take the same thing, so it must be one of the more common ones.

It lowered my systolic pressure from 175 to 115. I call that damn good!

11. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I looked it up on a few sites, and none mention its use as a BP med. Odd..

12. timojin Valued Senior Member

Ranitidine (/rəˈnɪtɨdiːn/; trade name Zantac) is a histamine H2-receptor antagonist that inhibits stomach acid production. It is commonly used in treatment of peptic ulcer disease and gastroesophageal reflux disease.

175 ---115 that is a big drop. For a drop that large I would expect a large increase in pulse rate .
    Do you take your BP yourself or at the time you go to the doctor ?

13. exchemist Valued Senior Member

By "deit" I presume you mean "diet".
    By "ingredites" I presume you mean ingredients.

What do you mean by "man made salt ingredients"? Salt is a natural substance, not man made.

If what you really mean is "reduce your salt intake", then that is conventional medical advice for people with high blood pressure.

14. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Apparently it also works on blood pressure.
    No, my resting pulse is still about 70.
    When I first recognized the problem, about 4 years ago, I took it myself a couple of times a day. But now that it's stabilized, I don't check it more than once every few weeks. The local grocery chain (Giant) has a comfortable, reliable BP machine in every store.

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

I am planning on taking Zytiga, a very expensive new drug, (nearly $300/ day even with current weak Brazilian Real) that controls PSA and prostate cancer, even in cases that are CRPC. Normally four pills are taken after at least 2 hours with no food as fats or oils can greatly (up to 17 fold) increase its absorption into the blood. I plan to exploit this fact by taking some soy oil with only one pill, to reduce cost by 75% even though I may be able (am applying) to get the drug for free from Brazil's health service. Brazil has done two major operations and many dozens of PSA et.al mesurements for me at zero cost to me. I'd like to reduce their costs - more that a million Real annually now for this drug alone.

Problem is no one knows how much oil to take with each pill. I plan starting with only 1 dL, and increasing that in steps. But too much of Zytiga absorbed will elevate Blood Presure, BP, and bilirrubin, as well as mess up the K to Na ratio, etc. in the blood. I want to measure BP daily: twice before ingestion of dose an hourly afterwards and do blood chemistry, inculding PSA, when the BP has increased 10%. (Mine is low for my age - typically 130 by 85, without taking any drug to reduce it.) I.e. I will pause the step wise increases of oil volume when resting systolic pressure becomes 145 or 150 at the worst). Now to point of this post:

What make of electronic BP measuring device do you use for home measurments? Are you happy with it? How many years has it been used?

My wife had one made by TechLine in 2006, but it ceased to work even with brand new batters, after a few years.

My PSA is still very low (<2ng/ml) as I was castrated about three years ago when usual anti-androgen drugs became ineffective, but at start of 2015 even that lost control.

My PSA is very well (<5% error) "hindcast" and predicted by PSA(D) = 1.23 x 2 ^{(D - 2492) / 133.3} where D is the number of days since 12/12/2008, the day my prostate was removed. This model lets me notice even small changes in therapy. For 17 days prior to a recent PSA measurement, I did not take a pill that suppresses androgen production by the adrenal gland, and my PSA shot up from my math model's prediction more than four times the math model's error. - A certain observation of the ill effect of brief pause in use of drug "Androcur."[/B]

16. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I use an Omron blood pressure device. It has been reliable for about 5 years now. I take irbisartin (generic Avapro) 300mg/day for blood pressure control. It is an angiotension agonist. The cheap pills were a good stone and worked very well, but I got the side effect cough and had to stop that med.

PSA was <0.02 mg/dL and testosterone 40 ng/dL on Oct 25 blood draw. This is 13 months after the last shot of Eligard. As I still have all of the other side effects of that chem. I must conclude that my pituitary is being very slow at recovering from the drug.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

17. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I tried a couple of them, but I found them useless. In the USA every major drug store and supermarket chain have free BP monitors that work very well.
    I have given my doctor and all of her staff directions to NOT test my PSA. At age 72, it's just not worth it.

Ironically, it was my doctor who suggested it. Her father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 70. Being an old codger (in India, where attitudes are much different than in the USA), he refused to have surgery. He went ahead and had a happy, comfortable life, and finally died of the cancer at age eighty! But there's more to the story: When they did an autopsy, they discovered that he had two other conditions, either one of which would surely have killed him within six months anyway!

My wife is happy with my decision. She doesn't want us to spend years dealing with the problems that always come with extremely invasive surgery, especially at an advanced age.

18. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

That would not work for me as I need to measure BP under exactly the same resting conditions. I am planning to take only one fourth the recomended dose of very expensive* drug Zytiga, but with precisely mesured oil volume (only 1 dl initially but increasing in steps until it elevates my PB 10% or I am taking drug with 5 dl of soybean oil.) One of the known side effect is elevation of BP with excessive dose. (I will monitor change in blood chemistry when this occurs) - That is one of sevaral that can be serious. The maker, Janssen, recommends taking dose after at least two hours with nothing eaten (nor an hour afterwards) as fat or oil in diet can increase the poorly absorbed drug up to 17 fold! I plan to meaure BP two hours before taking oil boosted dose, an immediately prior to taking it then hourly afterwards at least three times - want be sure I noted the peak.

* about $300 per day, if the recomended four pills are taken.
    That is a quite common story. Why they say you will likely die with PC, not of prostate, cancer.

I had a very aggressive case (PSA doubling time only one month) and had to have prostate removed 7 years ago at age 72. With a "therapeutic diet" I invented after about 40 hours of reading pier-reviewed literature at PubMed and a sequence of different standard drugs while they worked, and then castration when none could control my PSA to < 0.2ng/ml I did very well for three years, but at start of 2015, I became a CRPC case.

Now only Zytiga (and one other even newer drug, not yet available AFAIK in Brazil) offers any hope as my circulating cancer cells have evolved the ability to make their own androgens. I'm quite confident there has been no metastasis yet as I had a T99m whole body scan less than a month ago. My PSA is still quite low, but growing exponentially - I have fit the growth very well with an exponential function. At end of 2015, it will be 2ng/ml but now with the diet continuing the doubling time is 113.3 days. (That gives best fit for "hindcasting" recent PSA measurements and presumably for forecasting near future PSAs too.) I will not go into details but three times now my diet has shown “dose effects” so I have other proof it really helps.

19. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I hope the treatment and diet work out for you Billy, will keep my fingers crossed for luck.

Prostate cancer is the number 2 cancer killer of men and metastasized prostate cancer can be very uncomfortable indeed. (My next blood test will be this Friday.)

Denial is the single most common - and the least effective - coping strategy humans use to (not) deal with problems. I would much rather deal with the side effects of the treatments than to die from the disease, but then, I employ a certain amount of science in my decisions.......

20. timojin Valued Senior Member

Since you cross your fingers for luck . Why not pray to God for healing.

21. gmilam Valued Senior Member

It would be just as effective.

22. timojin Valued Senior Member

Vigorous Exercise May Protect Men From Lethal Prostate Cancer
    http://www.biosciencetechnology.com...?et_cid=4949051&et_rid=439217393&location=top

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks for link. I am in good shape by all their standards*, so that plus my therapeutic diet, castration, and judicious use of standard drugs may be why my PSA has been held less than 2ng/ml for more than 6 years. (After the first 9 months post prostate removal. Then my PSA was measured at 3 month intervals: 1st was "undetectable" then 0.1 and then 0.8ng/ml which is doubling each month - a very aggressive cancer)

For most of those 6+ years my PSA was held less that 0.1ng/ml but at about the start of 2015 I became a CRPC case. Now my PSA is very accurately described by: PSA(D) = 1.23 x 2^{(D - 2492) / T} where T, the doubling time, is 113.3 days and D is the number of days since 12/12/08, the date of my radical prostatectomy.

The structure of this exponential equation is such that on D = 2492; The date (09 Oct 15) my PSA was measured to be 1.23ng/ml, 2^{(D - 2492) / T} = 1 independent of the value of T.

T its self is empirically discovered by an Excel sheet trial with different T values tired. That T which makes "hindcast" computation of computed PSAc most nearly the same as the measured PSAm. However, the total "miss distance" |PSAm - PSAC| is "stretched" to make the most recent misdistance more important than older misdistances. I.e. I want the math model to be most accurate for the recent past and the near future. I won't go into the "stretching" formula unless asked.

* Most days, when not raining, I half fast walk / half jog for more than 15 minutes and do develop quite a sweat, but this is nothing compared to what Stoniphi does most every day. Information in your link will help me keep the will to continue this "exercise until sweating" routine.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015