Blood pressure difference

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by arauca, Dec 23, 2012.

1. arauca Banned Banned

The difference in pressure between Systolic and diastolic difference what is the physical meaning of the difference as far performance of the hearth or pressure ?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

It's a direct measure of the elasticity of the blood vessels combined with any restrictions/blockages present. The greater the difference the more the individual is at risk of heart attack or stroke.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

to a point, a narrowing of the pulse pressure (difference between systolic and diastolic) is bad too, it reduces the bodies ability to cope to any changes

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The heart is a pump. But it's not like the electric pumps we're familiar with, that keep pushing the fluid at the same pressure all the time. The heart is a muscle, so when it contracts it pushes on the blood, but when it relaxes, it stops pushing. The systolic pressure is the pressure inside the blood vessels when the heart is pushing, and the diastolic pressure is the pressure when it relaxes.

8. arauca Banned Banned

My difference usually is about 70 mm from 145 to 68 and I have more less such difference for 8 years

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

That seems a bit much to me. What has your doctor advised you to do to bring your BP into a more normal range?

10. arauca Banned Banned

I take metoprolol tartarate 50 mg and 10 mg Amlopidine, It does some good it brings the BP. fro 155 / 75 to 145/ 70

11. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

Have you got hardened arteries? For there is a real marked difference between the the systolic and diastolic pressures there.
    Mine is more 138/90 and the doctors worry about it. They want that diastolic pressure of 90 down to 80 or so.
    The Dr. reckoned licorice could increase BP. The night before my mini-stroke I did eat a pile of soft licorice. So I'd be reluctant to eat that again.

12. arauca Banned Banned

My Australian Friend, I was wondering were you where. so you got a mini , How are you now , did everything come back , I hope it did.

One thing I have learned is that Metoprolol , lowers the pulse rate, and taking one or the other it does not work Amlopidine or Metoprolol but a combination together to take 20 minutes before breakfast it works

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I believe the ideal BP is 120/80. My doctor has me taking a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide), Eating less salt and exercising more. My last BP measurement was 130/85 which is down from 140/90.

That seems relatively easy to do when you consider all the other health issues that start piling up on you as you get older.

14. arauca Banned Banned

in my case if I get to lower my systolic to 135 my diastolic goes to 65 , I feel good , the only if my pulse gets to rate 65 the my body become cold , specially my feet.
    An other thing I notice if you have something on your mind the BP. goes up. I measure my BP. every day

15. Robittybob1 Banned Banned

I seem physically normal but I sometimes wonder if my brain still works as good. It was back in November (24 Nov 12 )and it has taken a while to recover my ability to tackle a mental challenge. Basically 4 months since the event.

16. Saint Valued Senior Member

1. My blood pressure measured with Mercury meter is 150/100, stage 1 hypertension. But when measured with digital meter, it is 140/90. Which one should I trust?
    2. Immediately after exercise, your blood pressure should be higher or lower?

17. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

1. Mercury sphygmomanometers are more reliable.
    2. Your BP will be higher during and straight after exercise, much like your heart rate.

18. arauca Banned Banned

I usually make 3 or 4 readings , the first reading I discount because it takes an effort of wrapping so the 2 nd to 4 th is the average

19. arauca Banned Banned

Keep on exercising your brain on forums but don't get upset , That is what you told me once. Any way God bless you.

20. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Over what time frame? You should never take a BP more than twice on the same arm in a 20 min period because it is cutting off the circulation and can do damage to the underlying tissue. Also the readings become in accurate

If your doing it on both arms and there is more than a 10mmHg difference you should have that checked as it could be a serious condition

21. arauca Banned Banned

I am doing this for over 8 years my are muscle and strength I have not observed any change

22. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

That's not what he meant. He's trying to tell you that you're doing it wrong when you try to take multiple readings in a short period of time. It's a dangerous practice and the results become meaningless as well.

23. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Is that from a guideline?

The cuff won't cause ischaemic damage unless it's left inflated for a long time (in a Bier's Block regional anaesthetic, the tourniquet has to remain inflated for at least 20 minutes, and surgical tourniquets can remain in place for 2 hours), and won't cause crush damage because it's too broad and can't be inflated to high enough pressure.

I'm not sure of any indication that subsequent readings are less reliable than the first. In my GP rotation, readings were often repeated (after 5-10 minutes) if the first was unusually elevated (often because just walking from the waiting room was significant exercise for the patient, or because patients are often more relaxed later in the appointment). One GP educator also told us that he routinely does three digital readings and takes an average.