Bleached blonde hair, brunette roots and bright red lipstick?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Seattle, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Seattle Valued Senior Member

OK, I'm probably going to hurt my reputation with this question. Do I have a reputation?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Probably not...but I really don't understand this issue and maybe there is a rational explanation that escapes me.

I get it that often when a (female) brunette gets older, the hair starts to turn grey, sometimes even in the 40's or earlier and it can be easier to just dye the hair light brown and when the grey roots come in they blend in better than with darker hair and you don't have to touch up the roots as often.

What I don't get is why everyone is a blonde these days (including most brunettes). It's not even an attractive, natural looking blonde usually. It's also not maintained as blonde so the bottom half is brunette and the top half is blonde with dark eyebrows and maybe even topped off with bright red lipstick.

This applies to otherwise very attractive women as well as to the not so attractive women. Is it, like the blue hair, an attempt to "de-beautify" to make a statement that "I'm more than my looks"? Do some actually think this look is attractive? What has caused also every women to do this these days?

Yes, I know I'm coming off as pretty ignorant but it's just Sciforums

Seriously, what gives?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. geordief Valued Senior Member

Well blondes are just more attractive to this male(I was pondering the issue with myself a couple of weeks back) so I reckon it may just be a common preference in this neck of the woods.

Not sure if they all all trying to be attractive to me but they do seem to be in my dreams.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Even though I like brunettes better, blondes are fine too but whatever the hair color, it's better to me if it looks natural and today it rarely does.

Bleached blonde hair with dark roots and dark eyebrows just looks weird. Throw in fake lips, fake boobs and a botox expressionless face and you've got the alien that they are looking for in the UFO thread.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. C C Consular Corps - "the backbone of diplomacy" Valued Senior Member

Population (blonde) explosions among those breaking the senior and proto-senior barriers can be blamed on their hairstylists advising them to go that way, according to the latter's own cryptic lore and esoteric dictates.

Whether you want to call it "rock chick or chic", "grungy", "lazy girl", etc -- the "just let the roots grow out" trend coincidentally allowed pseudo-blond celebrities in their fifties to dye their graying roots so that it deceptively appeared as if they still had their natural or original hair color. Which gave the fetish even more official blessing and impetus.

Since frequent dyeing and highlighting can potentially damage hair in certain ways, the fad also provides an excuse to slack off on that. (Yes, feral roots might have been sighted creeping into artificial blond halos back in the '80s, but they were probably far shorter and not deliberately cultivated to create accentuating shades and contrasts.)

While middle-aged elites preening in the spotlight can get away with pretentious "metal trash slash rock babe" looks and all sorts of things, it probably doesn't mesh or reflect well at times with similarly older faces and complexions of the hoi polloi. The rebellious and insubordination aspects of youth should be harrowed out of the end product. (And avoid baggy cargo jeans with ragged holes in them.

)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  8. Jeeves Valued Senior Member

I guess people can paint their hair, or parts of it, any colour they like - without damaging it the way they used to when I was young.
    I quite enjoy seeing young people with pink, purple, blue or green hair ... it's like a little bit of Halloween or carnival every day. Older people trying to look young strikes me as pathetic, though not necessarily repellent. I prefer everyone to look different, individual, unique, whether they have good or bad taste, whether they strike the right balance or not - just so they don't all look like they came off an assembly line.

cluelusshusbund likes this.
  9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Many years ago when i was in 8th grade... on a thursday night i had my dark brown hair bleached to a very light blond... an on friday my first day back to school the principal told me not to come back until it was back to its real color so i got it fixed not to miss school

10. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Can't say I've noticed any new trend like that. I have noticed that most people who dye their hair eventually let it go natural, which does involve a period of different color roots. That observation goes back at least 50 years.