blade that can slice through anything?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by hiimwayne, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Supermalek Registered Member

It would be pretty funny to watch some of these lightsaber nuts to fight with these real lighsabers.

My guess is the fight wouldn't last too long

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

cute, but fragile, but poisonous when broken, but......

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

It's only neon - I didn't think that was too poisonous, being an inert gas.

Probably for an everything-cutting device, you're best using a fusion torch or some other similar high heat source.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. dinokg Registered Senior Member

I think a plasma or nanotech sword would work the best.

A high tempurature plasma would melt/cut things with out being damaged.

A nanotech sword could "heal" itself using nano robots.

But a combination of the two with special heat resistant nanobots separating a plasma blade from the rest of the sword would work the best.

Another high tech thing would be an antimatter sword. When the blade edge made of antimatter hits regular matter both would be destroyed. So you would need a continous supply of antimatter for the sword to continously work. So technically it would be a antimatter flow sword.

8. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

Antimatter swrod seem to sound like antimatter gun to me.... everytime the antimatter gets exposed to matter, it's destroyed. Oh, and not to mention that the annihilation energy is high enough to kill you without proper protection (and I do mean proper, careful)

9. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Yeah... your antimatter sword would be constantly exploding... a little inconvenient.

The plasma sword was explored in a previous thread called <a href="http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28834">Constructing a Lightsaber</a>; it seems like the most likely concept for a "cuts anything" sword at this point.

If you had a blade that self-sharpened using nanorobots, they'd have to step pretty lively to keep from getting wiped off when you cut through something.

10. dinokg Registered Senior Member

For nano robots to work best maybe the sword could have a "rest mode" while in rest mode the nanobots could come out and fix the sword and before the sword is used they could automatically return to where ever they are stored. Maybe in a sword holder or something like that.

And as for the antimatter flow sword it could have a energy absorber on it so the matter antimatter reaction could power up the sword so it could produce more antimatter and there by continue the antimatter production needed for the sword to work.

But a antimatter flow sword would be ALOT harder to make then a nanotech sword.

11. eburacum45 Valued Senior Member

Nanotech swords would be really slow; because they work by chemical reactions, you would have to allow the machines time to take everything apart bit by bit without cooking themselves.

It is true that eventually you could do just about anything with enough nanoassemblers or disassemblers; but it might take a long time, and a lot of energy.

Myself I'd go for a cosmic string blade; or even a domain wall, suggested on this thread way back at the beginning.

A domain wall is like a flat black hole, with length and breadth, but no thickness.

Cut through anything, but would weigh billions of tons, and be impossible to hold.

12. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

When this thread was originated was there any intention that the blade be possible to make? Any technological limitations? Or is this all metatheoretical?

13. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

I suppose the last option...... maybe

14. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Then yeah, I think we can pretty much go with various space-warping phenomena. Best way to remove matter is to gate it somewhere else.

15. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

just remember my 'maybe' there dude...... jumping too eagerly into conclusion can hurt......

16. dinokg Registered Senior Member

I think some of these sword ideas may eventually work but the more powerful the sword, the harder it is to make.

Since some nanotech will be made in the next few decades its the most likely of the swords to maybe be developed.

Hears a rough estamate of when each of these swords could maybe be made.

Nanotech- 50 to 100 years.

Antimatter Flow Sword- 100 to 200+ years.

Plasma Sword- ? Anytime someone gets it to work.

Black Hole or Cosmic String Sword- 500 to 1000+ years.

Time Blade- Sends things to another time or dimension. About the same as the Black Hole or Cosmis String Swords but could maybe be modefied for making and closing some sort of portal through time. After Black Hole or Cosmic String Sword has been developed to a more advanced form.

So any of these could be made but the closest one to all of us would be a nanotech sword or a plasma sword if it was some how made. But remember depenting on the speed of technology advancing it could take alot more or less time for any of these to be developed.

As another thing to think about I remember this quote:

"Any sufficently advanced technology is indestinguishable from magic"

I think it was Author C. Clark that said it.

17. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

I wonder about the ethical ramifications of the time/dimensional blade though, I mean what if you were just sitting down to dinner and an alien arm appeared in your soup? And, I mean, it's not even Alien Arm Surprise or anything like that, it's just vegetable.

18. dinokg Registered Senior Member

Didn't think about things coming into this world from other worlds.

But instead of just an arm what if that whole alien creature came through!

Might make a good Sci-Fi story.

And remember Sci-Fi is only Sci-Fi until it happens.

19. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

BTW, when you said nanotech, were you talking about that ol' Deus Ex "eutactic blade"?

20. dinokg Registered Senior Member

I didn't get to play that game yet but I have heard it got good reviews.

21. ydoc16 Registered Member

I may be wrong about this but most swords work by sliceing through objects.
    The Japenese swords have a Razor edge on them and can slice through many things but you do not use Brute force to slice through an object with a japenese sword you use a Sliceing motion fast and furious, the sword then seperates the bonds of the object you are sliceing harder objects are harder to slice due to the compactness of the individual molecules. If you were to take an ordinary Steel Sword and take Focused Laser Beams(yes i know sounds far fetched) and Sharpen the said sword at a perfect angle down to the molecule this said sword would be able to seperate easily the molecules of other objects, but would still have to be a sliceing motion as brute force would just dull the blade imediately i suspect.

22. Eggsited Registered Senior Member

what about iridium or tungstun carbide for blade material

or
    just from a sci-fi point of view

you could make the blade in a sub atomic neutron latice stabilized with all sorts of compinsators, tada 4000 ton sword with cuting power

23. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

how about chemically catalystic material for the blade? uh, okay, maybe such thing never ever exist anyway....
    on a side note, I thought this hatchet's been buried, but it pops up again now.... happy to know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.