Black/white holes

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by wet1, May 5, 2001.

1. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Theory predicted black holes to exist. Observation seems to backup the fact. From out pouring of x-rays to tight, in close orbits at unheard of speeds (indicating the mass that holds sway over the orbiting body) Theories also predict that if there are black holes then there should be white holes. Objects that spew out radiation, mass, ect. Have any candidates been found so far? If so where?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rde Eukaryotic specimen Registered Senior Member

Theories suggest that it may be possible in some circumstances; specifically if the black hole rotates. But there's nothing to say that the, er, white hole has to be in our time or even universe. Then again, we still don't know what quasars are.
    For the definitive word on white holes, watch Red Dwarf. I believe the episode was called White Hole.
    Now that I think of it, Red Dwarf White Hole sounds like an Ang Lee movie (starring Chow Yun-Fat as Dave Lister, and Michelle Yeoh as Kochanski).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Go ahead!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pkunk Registered Member

w00t 1st time post

at any rate black holes do not actually "suck matter out of the universe" as said in that red dwarf episode

they are merely super-dense collapsed stars

so really (unless im wrong) anything that goes into one will just "land" on the "surface" of the singularity (no zipping through dimensions please)

8. dos2winmaclinx Registered Member

Piff

According to Stephen Hawking, a paper on "Black Hole Radiation", it would just evaporate. The newly discovered spinning black holes are an example of the eventual colapse and dissipation of a black hole, not leaking out to a parallel universe as a white hole.

If white holes are the result of black holes, then it would explain the Big Bang theory, that would be too simple. Another concept of Stephen Hawking, " Baby Universes".

Mike

Have lots of fun!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

Well actually, black holes can spew out radiation and mass.

explanation:
    Everywhere in universe constantly small matter and antimatter arise and annihilate themself almost immediately (they come together just after they are made).

When this happens just on the edge of the 'observation horizon' (that's a very litteraly translation of the dutch word) the antimatter will be sucked into the black hole, and the matter will be spew out into universe.

In fact, with this theory black holes can shrink, because of the antimatter annihalating matter in the singularity.

I hope I made myself clear.

(sorry: bad english)

10. Merlijn curious cat Registered Senior Member

11. dos2winmaclinx Registered Member

Garbage Cleaners

In a literal sense, Black Holes are the Wast Managers of the Universe. And, recycles energy-- matter, back into the Universal Environment, like compost. Keep Our Universe Clean!

Mike
    Have lots of fun!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!