Black Holes coming this way.

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Xmo1, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Xmo1 Registered Senior Member

Stands to reason with millions of black holes in the galaxy that some of them would be approaching our position. Why I haven't been de-rezed during my lifetime is pretty amazing to me. What isn't super cold is super hot in the universe. Having environments that grow life is weird, and amazing. Somewhere sits a really good chemist. Journalism 101 - The Bait, and the Click. Not intentional. It's just part of my writing style. I frame questions.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Put it in perspective. There are hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy.

It's not like black holes are free to wander among the stars like children in a crowded train station.

There are a lot of stars a lot closer to us than BHs - wouldn't it make more sense to ask why we haven't been pulverized by a nearby star?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Seattle Valued Senior Member

No, it doesn't stand to reason.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

The closest known black hole is some 3000 ly away. It is ~9-13 times the mass of the Sun. Millions may sound like a lot, but spread out over the volume of the galaxy, they are pretty thinly spread out.

8. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

Youtube U. strikes again.

9. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The take-away message here is: space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how mind-bogglingly big it is. You might think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's peanuts to space.

(Apologies to Douglas Adams.)

DaveC426913 likes this.
  10. gebobs Registered Member

Wazzat?

11. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Tron reference, ya young piker.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!