Birth control vaccine in the works

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by KilljoyKlown, Sep 20, 2011.

1. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You're fucked.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

would you like to explain that?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You need help man. I can't give it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

First, I'd have to say the test sample seems to be small. I'd like to see a much larger test. If weight gain turns out to be frequent, how much weight gain is it and is it manageable. As far as acne is concerned, they are still working on establishing the optimal dose that may help correct the problem. I'm happy they are even working on finding something that works for men.

8. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i agree, as far as the acne goes i was just pointing out the inconsitancy in saying that the effects are equivilant to the pill when the pill is used to cure acne and this apears to call it.

Oviously it needs a large sample size and over a long time period because you need to see not only if it works but you need to know

1) does it work
    2) what side effects including what are the worst side effects and what is there frequency
    3) Does it work long term or does the body adapt to it
    4) Does this effect long term fertility when the men decide they DO want children
    5) Are there any long term effects on the health of those children

9. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Would you believe it just doesn't feel the same. Given a choice I'd prefer not to use them.

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

With the right birth control it would be quite easy to set up licensing clinics for people that wanted children. You might complain about the DMV, but it works quite well making sure people can pass tests that show they meet the required knowledge and skills to drive a car. The way we are now, people don't need to know anything about having and raising children and who cares if there is any financial responsibility, because you can have kids with no income at all.

For all the people that want to complain about losing our God given rights personal rights. I say bullshit, I don't want to pay for all the problems unwanted children cause in our community and society. I want to see a world where every human born is a wanted child by parents that have proven they can care for it by their community standards.

As humans we may never be able to set up a perfect system. But anything we can do to give each child born the best possible start in life the better world we will all live in.

11. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Gimme a break. I've heard the argument and yes it's "funny". You need a license to drive, but not have kids...well guess what the government owns the road, but not our bodies (yet). So fuck them. While we are giving the government that much power, can I put in a request to lock you and Asguard up for Sociopathic thinking? the government might as well own our minds if it owns our bodies.

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I think you are confusing intelligence with education on this issue, and wanted children will always have a better chance at being better educated.

13. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

possibly but it is a valid question, insted of getting better educated every generation it seems that if we look at percentages (rather than just looking at child and parent) the percentage with even basic schooling is going DOWN.

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

When you consider how important kids are to the future of society, front and center is right where it belongs.

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

We are not talking about ownership here. Why do you come up with stupid comments like that? If you were a parent, do you want your daughters or sons becoming parents while still in high school? Do you want any grand children that are unwanted by your children? Do you want to see your children struggling to raise a family they are not ready for? Where are your priorities?

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

When you give the state the right to own someone's ability to procreate, you give them ownership. For at least 50 years in most liberated democracies, corporal punishment has been abolished. What you are talking about is corporal punishment. It is a punishment inflicted on the body. It is a step backwards for society.

Wait I just re-read your posts...you are even worse than Asguard(above applies to him). You want every single person to report to the government, pass a test or have your nuts removed? Ya?

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Your kidding right? You didn't answer my questions about your kids and grand kids? Parents can't deal with those problems, they can only watch it happen, and when it does who do they blame (it wasn't my fault). Well who's fault is it then and as a taxpayer why should I have to foot the bill for it?

18. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Holy shit, how are you going to know what happens with your grandkids? they might be worse than Hitler, life is always about rolling the dice. Taking away the dice because of what MIGHT happen is cowardice. Life does not reward cowards.

Mistakes brought us to where we are today. Some really good people were brought up by totally shitty parents.

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

better than having a kid isn't it? :shrug:

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

How about you just stop giving people already on public assistance more money when they " spit out more kids"? Remove the incentive.

21. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

That simply has to be sarcasm. Either that or you don't live in the USA.

You're totally correct: "It works quite well making sure people can pass tests. . . ." Virtually everyone I know has seen people cheating on the written tests, as blatantly as having someone else sneak in and take it for them! As for the driving test, all it does is prove that they understand how the controls work and that they can use them correctly at low speed, in light traffic, with someone telling them what to do next.

As it is, they don't really understand the controls. Perhaps in your country you didn't hear about the "epidemic" in the USA of "unintended acceleration" in Toyotas. People sat there steering for several minutes, while the car kept accelerating and they could not get it to slow down. One person even dialed 911 and had a long conversation with the emergency advisor.

Neither the driver nor the emergency advisor on the other end thought to put the damn transmission in Neutral!

These people should not have been given licenses. That's the quality of "parenting skills" you're going to get (at least in America) if the government tests for them!

They gave my mother a driver's license. That's all that really needs to be said about the issue.

22. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

While it may be an ideological concept to have reversible birth control and graduated parenting licenses, I'm not too concerned that such a thing could be implemented by any government agency.

As witness, we have the long gun registry in Canada which is a failed experiment based on the knowledge that a great number of citizens never complied with this legislation in the first place.

We have plenty of legislation in place for responsible pet ownership, yet that doesn't stop unplanned reproduction or animal abuse.

Besides, if government wanted to affect fertility rates on a large scale, they could just quietly drop something into the water or food supply, I'm thinking.

Far cheaper, guaranteed to reach most of the target population and the blame for any deleterious substance so found could be blamed on any number of potential entry points.

Okay, I'm done being the devil's advocate for the moment, lol...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Back to the topic of vaccines, there has been considerable distrust of vaccines raised in the media of late, and I'm wondering if any lingering misapprehension from that debate might engender distrust of a vaccine, especially where reproductive capability is involved.

23. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

that's what they've done in Michigan :thumbsup: