Bipolar, Schizoaffective, BPD (Ect)... Can the General Population Trust These People?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by PHPlatonica, Apr 4, 2006.

?

Can The General Pop Trust these Individuals?

Poll closed Apr 24, 2006.
  1. Of course Not

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Not with Most things

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Not with Important Issues

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Yes

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

In recent years, NIMH has introduced a new generation of "real-world" clinical studies. They are called "real-world" studies for several reasons. Unlike traditional clinical trials, they offer multiple different treatments and treatment combinations. In addition, they aim to include large numbers of people with mental disorders living in communities throughout the U.S. and receiving treatment across a wide variety of settings. Individuals with more than one mental disorder, as well as those with co-occurring physical illnesses, are encouraged to consider participating in these new studies. The main goal of the real-world studies is to improve treatment strategies and outcomes for all people with these disorders. In addition to measuring improvement in illness symptoms, the studies will evaluate how treatments influence other important, real-world issues such as quality of life, ability to work, and social functioning. They also will assess the cost-effectiveness of different treatments and factors that affect how well people stay on their treatment plans.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

Schizoaffective
    Basic Principles
    Both drug and psychosocial therapies are necessary to successfully treat schizoaffective disorder. Because of the unemployment, poverty, and homelessness that often complicates schizoaffective disorder, drug therapy alone usually is insufficient. Drug therapy usually can stop the patient's psychosis, but often only social and occupational rehabilitation therapies can overcome the associated unemployment, poverty and homelessness. Recovering from schizoaffective disorder is an extremely lonely experience, and these patients require all the support that their families, friends, and communities can provide.

Schizoaffective disorder appears to be a combination of a thought disorder, mood disorder, and anxiety disorder. Thus the medical management of schizoaffective disorder oftens requires a combination of antipsychotic, antidepressant, and antianxiety medication. Unfortunately, after the first year of treatment, only a minority of schizoaffective outpatients remain on their oral medications. Thus long-acting, depot antipsychotic medications that last 2-4 weeks between injections (e.g., depot haloperidol, pipotiazine, or fluphenazine) usually are required to overcome this noncompliance problem

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

I am still finding it hard to believe in some one who is prone to so many mental moods and perceptions. They change to extremes. Where is the trust in that? Can any one answer me this???

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

Maybe.. there isn't any hope for us at all... Maybe we should be shown the the "shower rooms".... What do we have to contribute to any one?

8. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

PHP
    "So, Trust..... I do not trust. I do not trust any entity. I fear them, though with people I perceive like my self, I admire them and want to learn what they know."

You display such wonderful courage and honesty. My hat off to you, and the deepest bow possible. Thanks for sharing so much, you are helping me to understand a great deal about poeple close to me. Some present still, and some departed.

9. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

PHP
    "Maybe.. there isn't any hope for us at all... Maybe we should be shown the the "shower rooms".... What do we have to contribute to any one?"

You are contributing here, now. Fuck the shower rooms. Kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

10. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

My heart is to heavy to hold on to the things I have.
    My feelings emotions, taunt me and stab.

It seems that darkness, is this place built just for us.
    A place that calls to me, and tells me I need no Trust.

The pain it echo's in a horse and mute choir.
    But upon deaf ear, its is unheard, and uninspired.

I want to live to day again. Just to know I am here.
    I wish to take the razor away, and slash out word at my fear.

The rage and torment I find in my soul is hollow shallow and cold.
    It is hard to hold ones head up so high, to be virtuoso and bold.

So I cry in my Darkness, and make music from the whimpers.
    And take in deep breathes, hoping all this will be tempered.

11. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Thankyou PHP for starting this post and for sharing your very personal experiences with us.
    It is always saddening to hear about people's worst experiences with mental illness and suicide attempts. It must have been heartbreaking the way your mother and the people in the hospital acted. It constantly amazes me how unwilling parents are to take responsibility for their children's problems.
    It is encouraging though to hear people tell of how they have come through the worst times in their lives and have survived, and are seeking to understand themselves.

I'm not a psychologist or a doctor, I'm just a psychology student.
    In answer to your question about trusting people with these mental illnesses, I would say generally - yes they can be trusted, but then most of my experiences with them haven't been negative ones.
    One of the students I share a house with (a new friend of mine) suffers from bipolar disorder and I totally trust her.
    Personally - whether I trust people is totally dependent on the person.

The people I am cautious about trusting aren't just the people with mental illness - they are people with a history of violence, people who hit their children, people who believe that their god wants them to kill people who don't share their beliefs.

I am cautious about trusting politicians who lie (most of them), telemarketers, people who are trying to sell you something.
    If a parent with mental illness really wants to be a good loving parent then they will be, but being a good parent can be difficult, and those parents, and MANY others, should seek some advice and support.

People who have a history of mental illness can go on to many careers including doctors, nurses, psychologists - although of course it would be very difficult to complete their study and training if they were still suffering from those illnesses, and it would be a good idea for people (thats EVERYONE, not just people with a history of mental illness) to get their lives together and balanced, and under control.

Unfortunately most people lack knowledge and understanding about mental illnesses and they way they can affect so many people. The stigma against mental illness and those who suffer from it is still common in all societies.
    People who hold a prejudice against those who have been diagnosed with a mental illness are simply ignorant to the possible causes and circumstances.
    I mean, I wouldn't trust a suicidal person with a razor blade, but that would be because I cared about them, and wouldn't want them to hurt themselves. That doesn't mean they are thieves, or are violent towards others.

Trust can refer to a lot of different things, trust can be important in a lot of different areas of life.

I don't trust politicians with their armies and their weapons, I don't trust the media with their ability to misinform people.

On the other hand I've had interesting conversations with people who live on the street.

To sum up my opinion, I think people who have sought professional help and have been diagnosed with a mental illness are actually on the (often long) road to recovery.

On the other hand, people that have no idea that they are hurting others (e.g. "Operation Iraqi Freedom"), and have no intention of questioning their thoughts or actions - people who think they are perfect and there is nothing wrong with them, they are the ones you have to watch out for.
    The question is really whether each person (diagnosed or not) is capable of "hurting" others. I'm NOT sure that people who have been diagnosed with the mental illnesses you've mentioned are actually MORE LIKELY to hurt people, or be untrustworthy.

People who take the pain in their lives and direct it inwards (neurotic) are mostly only a threat to themselves.

I believe that science can offer some understanding into mental illnesses and can provide a lot of solutions as to how those suffering from it can enjoy the better quality of life that they deserve.

Take care everyone, I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
    Huw

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(PHPlatonica I sent you a private message).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2006
  12. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

I haven't written in a while because I have so much to say.
    But I wonder how many people actually read this thread.
    I suppose it doesn't matter, because it I good for me.
    I have not been the best of persons lately. I have digressed under the skin of my own disease.

Afraid of things that go bump in the night AND the Day. I have trapped my self into a world that makes no sense to any one. Not even myself at times.
    This is where the TRUST comes into play.

I know, that with these battling emotions, and strange chemicals, there is a quality of my being that is fake. Anything "fake" is not to be trusted. That is just human nature.
    And I am Ok with that. But It does make me sad in the heart.

I so Wish people could understand, not KNOW, but understand what a burden it is to be "two" or more things in one person. To be guidable and hateful. To be Happy and resentful.
    And doing this through out hours of the day.
    I wish people could understand what a Pain in the ass it is to tell your self every day at least once an hour that your just "swinging" don't react. As bad as you want to react.
    But, then you do things when you SHOULD react, but your not so sure, and you do not react to those things.
    There is no place for people with mental instability, but I can assure you we are trying so hard to be heard. Our thoughts are unique, and even important at times. our emotions just fail us from time to time. It is hard to hold onto a reality that shifts within seconds.

The medications for this disability are, tough in them selves. It doesn't work the same for every one, but for me, it is like my mind is an ice cube floating around, when I turn my head it takes seconds for my brain to catch up. At that point, there is something physically different about me, and people respond to that. then they "know".
    A lot of these medicines cause Drooling, stagnation, stumbling, and not coherently getting the words out. Not to mention loss of memory. And Libido. And when your BPD or Bipolar, one of the best ways to get attention is through your sexuality because you tend to be rather good at it.
    The Doctors tell me to out weigh the benefits or medication. I assure you I have. At least being unmediated I can be a weirdo, or a freak. Medicated Obviously shows disability.
    Maybe that is where people seem to hate medication so much then feel its some evil ploy to kill them slowly or make them shut up.
    I do not feel this way, though I have read the Pharmaceutical market companies and what they do to get their products out.
    I am thank full that I know the difference.

So Please, any one out there, talk to me. I know that this will stop again.... but right now, it hurts, and I am afraid.
    I had over heard my step father once mention to my mom that I would be nothing more then a bag lady.
    Those words hurt. On the other hand, In institutions I Have met some WONDERFUL "bag ladies".... So human, full of heart. And Ideas. Not the ones I pictured who were crack smokers and such. Just real people with imaginations and no knowledge to write what they felt inside.
    Well, AS much of a pain as these mental illness's are, I DO have hope in our NEW (Huwy and Jshatz) People who will help people like myself. Because they too want to understand and not hide us away any more. I thank you for that.
    So can we bring this thread to an understand of this pain fully CONFUSING illness?
    The trust, isn't personal trust... It's about finding a place for people like myself.

13. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

You know, Deep inside. When things are tangled. It is So very hard to place where reality should exist. as if it were some Line of a sort that is tangible and can be lifted and placed any where.... That would make it nothing. a nothing but a marker.... I pin point.
    And Arrow that shows "YOU ARE HERE".....
    In this Empty realm, like the back ground of a 3D imaging model there is no "Perfect point"..... The perfect Point, is only where you put it. What you create with it, what you destroy with it.
    Such in life as well. Emotions.

Strange Frequencies they are. (I don't know what else to call them)
    But they are yours to hold. Some have more then others. Some have none and can not comprehend. But it doesn't make it there, or none existent. Like Dancing to your favorite uplifting song, spinning excited with tears of hope. Pure happiness...........
    But those who do not have them, wouldn't know they miss them. You can not know what you do not have. Can you?..... Is this Where jealousy and Empathy come into play?
    how to get to the bottom of the well of emotion... Hamm

Im Manic Today.... And I am not slowing down...

14. Tnerb Banned Banned

I know how you feel about that. I usually do the same thing. Ok not really

But I have schizoaffective disorder depressed type as i've said in an eariler post, at least I was diagnosed with that. And, I think I am starting to understand a possible use for the thread, which I didn't understand eariler:

"Bipolar, Schizoaffective, etc; Can the General Population Trust em'?"
    I take it as a statement to answer.
    As... something to really get to.

I think that Huwy you gave some amazing info. And there is a lot more amazing info.
    A question: Why aren't they able to be trusted?

That's what I want to know....
    For example, are they innocent? Are they guilty? Are they at fault, a victem? What is the source of them not being able to be trusted?

Curious.

15. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

As I said I personally base my preconceptions on whether i can trust people on factors other than their mental health, but I think perhaps that a lot of people are afraid that people with a history of mental illness may suddenly "snap" emotionally or behaviourally for some reason.

Also the media and news often reports people who are charged/convicted of terrible crimes as having a history of mental illness (its a commonly used defense) even though the majority of others who suffer from mental illness who don't commit crimes.

Perhaps people draw an association between the criminally violent/sex offenders behaviour and many of them being "mentally ill"???

16. Huwy Secular Humanist Registered Senior Member

Just wanted to add that the majority of mental illnesses do not indicate a likelyhood of violent behaviour.

I believe the proportion of "violent psychopaths incapable of empathy" etc is actually very very small.

17. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

Personally, I believe that a person with bipolar, schiz, bpd or any personality disorder should be evaluated individually when it comes to "trust". A condition like this exists as a label, but does not define a person entirely. Having the bipolar condition myself and having experienced episodes of schizophrenia and extreme paranoia, I know that at times someone with these conditions can be very dangerous and irrational. People are afraid of this abnormality and hesitate to entrust those exhibiting these behaviors with positions of power (i.e. firearms, certain occupations, medication, etc.), however it is ones right as a human being (under our constitution) to apply for these positions. Denial should be given with a specific written reason and the knowledge that the position can be fought for in court. More importantly, it is ones right to do what they wish to themselves, and ones right to suffer the consequences (if there are any). As I've stated, each individual is different, and must be evaluated so.

18. Rantaak Registered Senior Member

I might also point out that medication for bipolar and schiz is also often inaffective. It can sometimes even worsen a problem.

19. Tnerb Banned Banned

I agree. I took anti-psychotics, and it may was supposed to help, though it didn't.

20. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Great post Huwy. I can see that you have not yet been tainted by the established Psychology Academia.

Huwy:
    “The question is really whether each person (diagnosed or not) is capable of "hurting" others. I'm NOT sure that people who have been diagnosed with the mental illnesses you've mentioned are actually MORE LIKELY to hurt people, or be untrustworthy.”

* I agree with you Huwy. I think human nature has a hard wired capability regarding violence and for inflicting pain of whatever nature. I tend to think persons with so called “mental illness” (perhaps apart from classic psychopathy and paranoid schizophrenia) are almost less likely to inflict pain, as in many ways they are so much more in touch with and honest with themselves. They tend to operate in a very, present tense, conscious manner and thus to a certain degree, question or evaluate all their actions. Which may limit hurtful actions. Just opinions on my part.

H:
    “I believe that science can offer some understanding into mental illnesses and can provide a lot of solutions as to how those suffering from it can enjoy the better quality of life that they deserve.”

* Good for you.

21. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

PHP:
    “So Please, any one out there, talk to me. I know that this will stop again.... but right now, it hurts, and I am afraid.”

* I wish I could make a difference for you, but I know that I cannot. I cannot fit my foot into your shoe. But I can offer words. So for what it’s worth, I wrote “Bugs” for you. Poem thread. Just as long as you keep looking for that ladder, it will be ok. Keep sharing with us here.

22. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Regarding "trust", there are so many factors that could influence the awarding of "trust" in another, whatever their condition. And just 1 second of betrayal to tear it all apart. Until the next time. So I have always based "trust" on my intuition, rather than my logical thought processes. So far its been very succesfull. Its when I use my head that things go awry.

23. PHPlatonica Im over myself now... Registered Senior Member

This isn't working well....

I lost total Faith and Trust... I guess I wanted every one to answered as honestly as possible, And it looks as thought you all have..... I thank you all for that.

I am not well. I am not "Trustable" right now.

Is it perhaps possible that people have a Hard "re" wiring to their mental state?
    Where One minute things are all right, but then they are not.
    I have lot total trust because I slit my wrist again... nothing deep. The worst was the pills I took. Im an UTTER Failure! I feel like (how did my sister put if about our father) Jason Voorhees I try to die but I keep Coming back.
    Why does this happen? Not the suicide, but the bipolar state?
    a good year and a half ago, I took my dad methadone's once every day. NO mood swings, no anger, and the thought of Death Disgusted me. I was high. Those thoughts were no longer needed. You know? but a year ago... When I decided he was just too bad for me, I had a crash off the Drug. Not as bad as I thought it would be. The hardest part is missing it. But then the truth of what I had been doing for over a year came out.... Along with other truths. no one comments on the fact that I was great for that year and a half. No fear to go out side. I took My children out. I accomplished artistic projects I wanted to do... and my House was clean... No, instead it was focused that I was high, and an Addict.
    Fair this is not.

And now, I am no longer aloud car keys to leave, ... infact I am not aloud my own pills (understandably)..... I got in a fight so horrific with my old man the other night.....
    I know I need, or probly need clinical help.... I don't want to go.. I hate those places, and I have honestly never came out of them any better. Never.

What I know, right now. Is I am afraid.

But I will Tell you one thing, I will Never be TRUSTED