BioFuels vs. Hydrogen economy

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by ElectricFetus, Jun 9, 2003.

?

Which is the fuel of the future

1. Hydogen

20 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. Biofuels

21 vote(s)
    51.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I use it in my gas stove and my car to drive around in. Here is another example of what I'm doing but others are already showing how to do it as well.
    http://www.centralphysics.com

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Nice.. do you drive an FCX or did you customize your ride to use hydrogen? This is stuff I find very interesting. Man, that's hardcore.. using a hydrogen car in this day.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I use a regular car with a V-8 engine that was converted to use propane first then I've converted it over to hydrogen. I make my hydrogen in my yard with photovoltaic cells in array, then put it into pressurized containers to use in my car or my home. Anyone can do it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Oh wow that sound great, could we see some photos!

8. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

What, of my solar array behind my house with some pressurized tanks? Or perhaps my trunk that holds 2 containers? I really think you've seen pictures of that before so I won't bore you.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Not that I can remember, I would like to see it. It all sounds like alot of cool stuff, would love a photo tour of it all

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  10. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

There's a nanotechnology news site that I've been reading up on a lot lately.

nanoapex.com

Recently, I read an article about 7 different companies using dirty methods of photovoltaic cell fabrication. Not only are these cells going to be flexible and efficient (some of them are going to be able to be painted on surfaces), but they're going to be CHEAP. And they're going to be commercially available in less than a year.

Personally, as a project, I would like to paint a series-class hybrid car with one huge photovoltaic cell. Make it, say, spinach green. Then the battery wouldn't have to be charged so much by the engine, increasing fuel economy.

Also.. how efficiently does your car/truck/driving apparatus use the hydrogen? It seems like it would be a lot simpler and more efficient to just use the electricity from the solar arrays to a battery powered electric car. Were the photovoltaic cells expensive?

11. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

Oh yeah, I too would like to see some pics of the setup. Sounds pimp.

12. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Which is the fuel of the future?
    Water. It is abundant, and with fusion, a small measure of it can produce loads of energy...

13. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

actually its what in water, sea water has boron and hydrogen all that needed for clean fusion.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

So why we don't have water as an option in the pool....?

15. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Because fusion power is not yet available and we have little clue when and if it will be ever. Fusion power though would be stored for transportation needs as hydrogen from water, so if cheap clean fusion power became available hydrogen would have a major advantage.

16. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

I think that a grant should be available to build 1 free hydrogen gas station along a major highway in, say Arizona: A solar hydrogen generator plant that operates free to the public as a promotion. One it is swamped with customers, you offer a license to build a commercial one right next door. And then on down the street, until there are hybrid ones, wind, hydro, grid, all over this land, and investors fast getting much richer than Saudis. It would be good clean fun. What are we waiting for?

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

We are waiting when saudis run out of oil

but in reality you know what -> politics and petrol corporations behind it all

18. hypewaders Save Changes Registered Senior Member

Exactly. But why postpone innovation until after the petropolitics robber-barons make more lives horrible? An end to energy monopolies and wars is at hand.

19. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

Sorry Guys All of U r wrong, read the below for a why.
    <IFrame src="http://sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=34255" Height=700 width=700>
    </IFrame>
    Hope U understand that my intension is only to save humans from extinction !

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

RawThinkTank,

your idea is economically impossible, it would require incredible infrastructure to make a series of dams.

21. apendrapew Oral defecator Registered Senior Member

If you think about it, the energy we use to power our cars, homes, cities eventually comes from the sun, with the exception of fission nuclear power plants.

Oil is essentially made out of frozen light. The sun provided the power to create the bonds out of which the plants which eventually turned into oil, are made out of. Same deal with coal and natual gas.

The sun provides the heat to lift water molecules into the air, increasing their PE. Then we convert their PE into KE into electricity with hydroelectric dams.

The sun heats the air, which creates convection currents, or wind, which we use to create electricity with our wind mills.. That's one thing I noticed. All our means of creating power comes either directly (solar arrays), or indirectly (with the exception of nuclear power).

A trend I noticed is that the more directly we get our power from the sun, the less undesired the effects on the environment are. Going by this obvservation, and the fact that breakthoughs in nanoscience are allowing photovoltaics to be made cheaper and more customizable, I'd say solar arrays are going to play a big role in the future of energy.

22. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

You all will not be getting anything soon for the oil cartels won't allow hydrogen production because they know it will hurt there money supply.

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

you don't have to store hydrogen. you can get it from a reaction on the fly.

we are entering the age of fuel cells. i think both bio and hydrogen will have a lot of applications.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.