Bill Nye VS Ken Ham Debate: Creation Museum

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Gage, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Gage Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gage Registered Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Hmmm, if your post indicates anything about what it's going to be like, I'd expect to see Bill Nye come close to victory, only to have it snatched from his jaws when Mick Foley shows up at the last minute and smashes him over the head with a folding chair in the name of Jesus.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Glen Beck compares Bill Nye to the oppressors of Galileo.

[video=youtube;cs8swzyY6ak]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cs8swzyY6ak[/video]

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

One problem with this kind of spectacle is that it presents the two sides as scientific equals.
    It confirms the idea that there is a debate going on among scientists as to whether the world was created a few thousand years ago.
    There is no such debate.

9. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

On the other hand perhaps Bill will win and a few more people will wake up to reason, just a hope.

10. p-brane Registered Senior Member

This suggests that Bill could in some sense lose a "debate" about a question which is in actual fact completely rhetorical. Do you also think it makes sense to debate the existence of witches (in the supernatural/Satanic sense)?

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

No no your right this is all a win-win for Ken:

As for Ham, he has said he extended the debate invitation to Nye out of concern that young people are too quick to dismiss creation in favor of evolution. But critics note another reason—the financial rewards of increased media attention. The Creation Museum is up against a deadline for raising $29 million in municipal bonds to construct a proposed replica of Noah’s Ark. Even if he loses the debate, critics say, Ham wins at the bank.

In fact, the debate, which will be held in the Creation Museum’s 900-seat Legacy Hall in Petersburg, Ky., sold out its $25 tickets within minutes. The museum will stream the event live and for free.

-- http://www.charismanews.com/us/42629-the-science-guy-vs-the-answers-in-genesis-man-god-s-still-god

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Good comparison.

13. Gage Registered Senior Member

[video=youtube;QpTVRtXRBGI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTVRtXRBGI[/video][video=youtube;Q14nqL27Xxw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q14nqL27Xxw[/video] You think I'm over hyping it?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Becoming a Creation Scientist is selling your science degree for 30 pieces of silver.

15. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Unless Bill Nye is a seasoned debater there's a good chance he will not win the debate. A lot of atheists get their arses handed to them in these debates. I personally think it's not a good idea for anyone other than a well and truly seasoned debater to go up against religious fundamentalists. Who is going to moderate the debate? Who decides the questions? What are the rules? HOW is the term "Science" defined? HOW is the term "God" defined. Without very specific definitions - For.Get.It. It's a waste of time. Worse, it lends credibility to superstitious thinking. As if belief in God is even studied through "Science". Ridiculous!

I've seen some really really good Christian apologists debate. The best of them would probably tare Bill Nye into a new arse-hole.
    How many people can formulate a good a priori counter to Gödel's ontological proof for God's existence?

I wonder what Bill Nye The Science Guy would say to that

16. Gage Registered Senior Member

Either way if he does get creamed its going to be big. You just know Fox News, glen beck, bill oreily, the fat loud mouth radio host and every other "conservative" is going to pounce because "The science guy" stuttered, choked lost etc... But I grew up watching this guy in high school so I'm crossing my fingers.
    Even though I cant see what he can possibly say that's new...

17. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Yes I agree this is a stunt that only the creationists can win. They start with the inestimable advantage that their supporters are too stupid to know when their argument has been lost. From there on, it just becomes a matter of mindless cheerleading.

And as other contributors have pointed out, the very agreement to hold a "debate" at all creates the false impression that there are two serious arguments contending as equals.

I think Bill Nye is a mug, whose ego has got the better of his common sense.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Creation museum?!! What does that display? The bones of the talking snake? Dried up fruit from the magical tree of life? The fig leaves Adam and Eve covered themselves with? What a joke!

19. elte Valued Senior Member

They want to build an actual size Noah's ark next. I mention actual size reservedly because that sounds very strange to me.

20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

…with room for the over 400,000 species of beetle that have been identified to date…plus everything else…..

But this museum has a saddle in it on which men used to ride dinosaurs.

Yup, this is not a wind-up: http://arstechnica.com/features/2007/06/ars-takes-a-field-trip-the-creation-museum/

21. elte Valued Senior Member

22. CptBork Valued Senior Member

I think he'd ask them to walk us through the proof and explain it in their own words, while showing us how the symbols must specifically refer to God and how the axioms can be taken to be true without any dispute. Force them to waste all their debate time explaining something that proves nothing. Meanwhile he can flash up pictures of the Standard Model Lagrangian and the Einstein Field equations, and then explain that he doesn't need to impress his viewers with arguments that go over their heads when he can simply point to what's out there for them to peruse at their own leisure and depth, including rebuttals to Godel (or specifically rebuttals to his argument, since Godel wasn't really trying to prove God but to show what kind of statements can be made or derived from systems of logical deduction).

23. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I'll have a go.
    Which letter is God?