Bible Addiction?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by goofyfish, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Addiction and its many forms ...

Hell, if I can get addicted to 'The Opening of Misty Beethoven'
    anyone can get addicted to anything. Even the bible!

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pumpkinsaren'torange Registered Senior Member

addiction is closely related to obsession, have you ever noticed?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Yeah, addiction has no limits. People can become addicted to anything, even the bible.

Note however that something doesn't become an addiction until it starts interfering with the persons life to a point where they can't function normally. For instance, no longer able to hold down a job or care for themselves, or know something is physically damaging, but do it anyway.

So if a person wanted to do nothing all day but read the bible and never eat or go to work - yes it's an addiction. If a person can still handle life situations pretty well - no it's not an addiction.

-Xenu

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Interesting, Xenu ...

"If a person can still handle life situations pretty well - no it's not an addiction."

I've known enough heroin addicts who were functional, even holding down
    a regualar job, to buy that.

Take care

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Holding down a job is only one area of functioning normally.

The definition of addiction I gave is a clinical psychological one. For the most part whether one is an addict or has a mental illness isn't black or white. For instance many people tend to be anal about keeping things clean, and there are different degrees, but these people aren't necessarily obsessive/compulsive.

A finite way is needed to determine if someone needs treatment for things like addiction or other mental illnesses. This is done by assessing how well they can function, whether it be holding down a job, self-care, social interaction, etc. This is called the GAF. It's not the most perfect tool, since people aren't black or white when it comes to mental illnesses, but it's probably the best we got right now.

How would you determine if someone is an addict or not, Chagur?

9. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

I would have to say, Xenu:

If a person cannot function 'reasonably well' when whatever
    they are 'addicted' to is withheld. A different emphasis but, as
    far as I am concerned, a more important definer of 'addiction'.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2002
  10. bracrazed Registered Member

hey goofyfish,
    yes i beleive this is very possible to have an addiction to the bible.
    addiction is caused by the bodys need to have a substance or in this case, meaningless peice of text that has no proof of truth. the lobe of the brain mentioned in your entry is said to give us our main source of creativity..kindof like a muse. therefor people suffering for epilepsy of the lobe who have had former experience with religeon of christianity or catholisism may tend to exagerate any thoughts or beleifs they may have into delerious visions during seizure.

11. skateloserx04 Registered Member

It is definately possible to become addicted to anything. I believe that something such as the Bible, which is held in such high esteem in the United States, is an outlet for many people who choose to be diligently linked with something. I am not very religious, but I think it is possible for people to find something that unifies them with their community in the bible. The medical explanation for "bible addiction" could very well be a type of obsessive compulsive disorder.

12. skateloserx04 Registered Member

goofyfish,
    I would like to add to my previous post in saying that the two most powerful religions in the US, as I see them, support the idea that people need god or the bible in their lives. Christianity and Catholosism are like weeds trying to spread and using low esteemed freaks to do it. Bible obsession is very real and is visible anywhere you go. Some proof of this statement I'm making is that all monotheistic religions and cultures contradict and try to eradicate eachother. Look at the spanish inquisition for crying out loud. The bible, thought to be worthless texts of peace, encouraged many slaughters and onsluahgts of bible addicted f**ks. peace out :m: :m: