Best Version of Vista

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by lixluke, Jan 14, 2007.

?

Which version of Vista will you be using for your rig?

1. Home Premium

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. Business

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Enterprise

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. Ultimate

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

I'd like a low quality system, thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Macs are traditionally to fucktarded to have a third button, so Mac HIGs can't endorse it. The advantage of the context menu is actually for beginners-intermediates since it helps them locate functionality by hiding the irrelevancies. Experts know where shit is anyway.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Whats the difference, is "Ultimate" more stable? Or is it less stable because it has more features?

I'd go for the most stable version, whatever that is.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Basically the only reasons to get Vista are for the Glassy desktop and DX10 to play the next round of pretty, pathetic, shallow, no-depth games that require no imagination, no life, no ability but lots of: Expensive components, updates, time(MMOs), hype and loveless programming.

They might tell you it's so secure, but do a search on even mainstream hacker/script kiddie sites and you'll see this product was beta tested by the same.

When was the last big, new win XP virus? About a year and a half ago was the zotob/mytob virus. Nothing serious since. All this money for and OS that delivers VERY little new stuff, wraps up all the stuff you can get for free anyway and stamps the M$ logo on it? Oh yeah AND decides what DVDs you can or cannot play....violates "fair use" laws in the process and you HAVE TO BUY ALL OVER AGAIN IF YOU UPGRADE CPU HARDDRIVE MOTHERBOARD OR VIDEOCARD.

Pass. Why didn't they call this shit Microsoft OS X and be done with it. Oh yea because stupid lemmings might actually catch on and just buy a Mac. I.T people might actually try to learn something like we had to in the DOS or Mainframe days such as low level commands, file dependancies and real security structuring. A few hours of "work" to learn to configure linux solutions out there and save their companies thousands.

8. broadandbeaver 'Now I am become Death Registered Senior Member

I guess Home Premium as I'll be getting a free copy of it with my new notebook... Not sure if I'll install it or not.

9. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I'm no computer wizard, but I've never upgraded my OS on any computer. I keep what it came with, that way I know it will run. Every new OS takes more and more power to run and computers that didn't come with it installed may require upgrades to run it.

10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

I wasn't going to bother upgrading but, having taken a look at it, I'm intrigued by the new Instant Search capabilities. When they say instant, though, they'd better mean instant(ish) - a few seconds at the most - since it's the only new feature I'm interested in. Some of the other ones are pretty but not enough to convince me to buy. Can anyone who's tried Vista tell me whether the search feature delivers what it promises?

In the meantime this does:

http://www.georgedillon.com/freeware/cathy.shtml

It's a tiny - 41kb!! - freeware disk cataloguer that zips through my 300gb external hard drive in around 30 seconds (my smaller hard drive takes a little longer - maybe a minute and a half). Once that's done it'll find any file on either drive instantly and let you open it or browse its containing folder. I see from the homepage that it's recently been upgraded, so I'll definitely be downloading that. Hopefully it now allows double-clicking instead of right-clicking everything! I see also that there's now a seperate utility to schedule disk re-cataloguing, which is another handy feature. For those who share my obsession with instant file access and who, like me, plan on waiting 12 months or so until Microsoft irons out all the Vista bugs, I strongly recommend that you download this program. You'll wonder how you managed without it! Like the reviewer at the above link I've tried every disk cataloguing program out there - and this one beats them all for simplicity and effectiveness. Don't bother emailing the author about adding new features though - not unless you like rude emails.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

And Vista? I'll be buying the Home Premium edition (equivalent to XP's Media Center edition). Off eBay. Next year.

11. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Ah yes - the licensing worries me but I haven't really looked into this. Anyone?
    From Apple. The anti-licensing people. Heh.

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I'm curious what you sent?

13. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6286245.stm

Vista sounds to me like a smelly turd you would only touch with a long stick. But just to poke it a bit.

14. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Touche'

However Apple has been doing this for 25 years, so they got it working a lil' better. My point is really - why is MS trying to copy Apple? I think it's a bad move and they are gonna get burned.

15. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Some games are compatible with certain builds of Linux, however they do require a fair bit of configuration. The main problems with games developers is they tend to use C++/C# (.NET) alot which means they pretty much "Hack" into the DirectX drivers via the downloadable Developers SDK. This unfortunately means what they build is "platform dependent", it's native system is obviously going to be Windows based and therefore conversion to Linux would take time and effort.

Those games that do manage to break this cycle of Windows only gaming are those that program in Python.

It is true however that Games companies do build for multiple platforms, however there is either conversion tools that they have specifically built for their compilers or they actually have a paralleling team of programmers creating games for other platforms. (thats why you don't find the same bug in some cross platform titles)

Ontop of that if they have to pay for the creation of the games in multiple platforms it:

• Costs more therefore requires more expense on the initial purchase (Which is hampered by games piracy)
    • Developers are spread between different projects, less time on the actual planning/development stages and therefore shallower games.

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

As for Vista, well if you buy a new PC your bound to have one or other version of it loaded in the future (unless you ask for XP)

Microsoft has been doing a lot with its XBOX Live market place where they've been allowing the download of Films and television programs at the cost of Microsoft Points. It's likely what Microsoft are trying to do is place Digital Rights Management into their new operating system to compliment a service they are already providing for US XBOX 360/ XBOX live members.

I believe though that Microsoft has a problem on the European front, since the Market place and it's point system is "European" it means that Microsoft has to Licence with multiple countries to be able to give the same market place as the US. This will of course cost them money to do and will only be done if they see a return from it. If the US XBOX Live market proves not to be a large sell, then obviously expanding into their new OS is obviously their way forwards.

However they will be going up against other "Media" empires, remember kiddies Microsoft didn't get where they got via "Media" they are technically the new kid on the block.

17. Rick Valued Senior Member

i have several issues with Linux, this is in response to those irate replies stating how powerful linux is... well sir i am here to tell you that Solaris btw >> Linux and then linux ? what linux lets talk about flavors, i'd say ubuntu is better... others are crappy, especially fedora Core...gaah i hate fedora...

Ok but Vista is vista, i dont care for replies on this one, its a personal choice, i am addicted to Msft O.S.'s even though most of the time i run my App server on Linux / Solaris box, i use vista for my personal stuff, and whats more windows software isnt that buggy anymore and actually i find GUI in windows much better than others in range...

And Mac OS X fans please go and wash your faces. OMG i cannot blv i bought a mac this is so crappy their touch pads on laptops are almost gibberish...

Thanks
    Rick

18. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I now have a free (legal) copy of the Business edition of Vista. I'll probably install it this weekend, or maybe next week - whenever I have time. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

19. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

How did you get a free copy?

20. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I go to a good school that wants me to have the newest and best software to work with.

I just got done installing it, and let me tell you, it's nice! The interface is so slick, and overall, it seems really fast. I'm still trying to discover all the features of it.

The only weird thing is, when it was installing, it told me my hard drive is getting ready to fail, and that I should back up everything and replace it. I've never had a problem with this before, so I don't know what the problem is. The hard drive seems way too new to be dying.

21. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Well you're lucky.

How much RAM are you running it on? And is it bugging you with all that security shit I've heard about?

Maybe Microsoft is trying to squeeze even more money out of people?

Then again, if that were true, they'd have a monopoly on the hard drives too. Who knows.

22. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

I have a gig right now, but I'm planning on doubling that sometime soon. It doesn't seem to be a problem though. It runs fine on 1GB.

At first all the security shit was very annoying, but it's not hard to disable. So now it runs fine, and doesn't keep asking me if I'm sure I want to run an application.

Yeah, I don't know what happened to my hard drive, but it has started making the "bad" clicking sound, and it has this weird grinding sound that's very quiet, but is definitely there. I did check the warranty yesterday, and I can send it in for a replacement, which I will do later this week, if it doesn't die before then.

23. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

15 Gig for Vista?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.