Best version of Linux for beginners?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Nickelodeon, Sep 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I was wondering what the best version of Linux I should try? I'd like to set up a dual-boot system with XP.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. imaplanck. Banned Banned

Red hat is supposed to be very good for beginners aswell as advanced users.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I think Ubuntu is currently the most popular - which means it has incredible support available online from fellow users.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NooFas Registered Member

Ubuntu is very good for beginners. It has very good hardware detection, which is good since manual configuration with the hardware is usually very tough for beginners. Debian is also a good choice. The hardware detection isn't as good, but they have a huge software repository which limits the number of programs you will have to compile and install by yourself. I think there are plenty of good choices for beginners. However, my advice it to stay away from Redhat and SuSe at first. Because of copyright issues both of these distos can't support for certain things (for instance, mp3 support for particular music players). You can still get support for things like this, but you won't be able to find it in the repositories, so it's kind of a pain.

8. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Ubuntu 6 , "Dapper" - wow I'm hooked.It's the complete OS, fast on the i686 kernel, eye candy using compiz & a massive irc support channel as well forums.I hardly ever boot into windows these days because of it.I did use SuSE for a time, but yeah, prefer ubuntu

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. baumgarten fuck the man Registered Senior Member

I use Debian sid, but if I could go back and do it again I would probably choose FreeBSD.

Many of the "beginner" Linux distributions are not actually good for beginners. They are best for non-Linux users who happen to need/want Linux. If you're interested in actually learning Linux, you should dive right into a more "pure" distribution, read lots of documentation, and learn enough about your computer and its OS to use it properly.

10. Igor Trip Registered Senior Member

I've just installed PCLinuxOS which is highly rated for its hardware detection and ease of installation.

It also has a very friendly forum.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/news.php

11. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Ubuntu is definitely the easiest to install/use (try kubuntu though.)

12. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Yeah hardware detection is my primary concern, problems with modem drivers put me off in the past.

13. NooFas Registered Member

Ubuntu does have a live cd so you can test hardware compatibility. If you don't already know, a live cd is a linux distibution that will boot directly from a cd without installing anything on your computer.

14. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I think I'll look into that, thanks.

15. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

Well I've just booted into Ubuntu off the CD. Using it right now, looks nice! My first impressions are quite good, but I need to figure out how to dual boot and how to partition.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  16. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

Ubuntu is easy to use and pretty. Slackware is a bit of an uphill struggle but extremely versatile and a great learning curve.

I got it to do everything windows did, except play games. I never really tried cedega.

It helps to have a second pc to troubleshoot on the internet whilst you're configuring things though.

17. leopold Valued Senior Member

18. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

No one has mentioned Mandrake?

Red Hat was good.. but Mandrake was fairly easy.

19. John99 Banned Banned

or Fedora Core 5, but it's true to really learn you need to at least use RH or similar.

20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

I installed Ubuntu without a problem, and thankfully it didnt screw up Windows XP. But trying to figure out how to install applications is a bit difficult. tar? rpm? bin?

21. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

I think it uses its own repository modelled off Debian - you should be able to download a huge number of standard packages using the built in package manager?

22. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

I have never been a fan of debian. I would suggest SuSE or Fedora. I'm assuming most of you understand that Fedora is based on redhat, even owned by them or something(I dont really understand/care myself)

As far as mandrake goes; have fun trying to install it like 100 times. I was an experienced linux user and it just gave me hell when I tried to install it on a friends computer. Not so much with hardware compatability, but the POS wouldnt install GCC for me.

Ubuntu seemed alright, I only used it for a few hours, and it was the bootable one. I would suggest getting a second box to run it on, you'll never use it if you dont know how and its dual boot w/ windows. Also, as previously mentioned it is very nice to be able to troubleshoot realtime with another system(that works!).

All in all, I would fully suggest RTFM and have fun. it is defiently going to be an uphill battle, but when you get to the top it is good.

23. kazakhan Registered Abuser Registered Senior Member

About seven years ago Mandrake was a better Red Hat than Red Hat

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Utter garbage :bugeye:
    A livecd is good for beginners. Someone new to linux should of course try a few different livecds. Also if you're not adept at installing Windows then linux is likely to be too much trouble. However if someone really wanted to learn I suggest LFS (linux from scratch) would be an ideal way...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.